MY LOCAL MENUS COMING ON TUESDAY AUGUST 22ND!

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
blueskylady

Eureka Math at DASD elementary schools

10 hours ago, allboys said:

I remember my son telling me that he wasn't allowed to do his math the way I explained it to him.  I remember asking his teachers about this.  I remember them telling me it was true, they were only allowed to do their math the way they were taught in school.  I told every single teacher he had "I'll tell you what.  I will show him how to do his work the way he actually understands it.  If we have time, I'll go back and show him how you want it done.  The MOST important point is that he understands what he is doing and how he is getting to the answer, and there are multiple ways to arrive at the correct answer."  Critical thinking is a necessity.  It is necessary that children are able to understand how to solve problems, that there are multiple ways to solve problems, and for them to be able to find the way to solve the problem they are faced with.

I couldn't have said it better myself! 

I felt so bad for my kids being forced to do simple problems in ridiculously long ways.

Sometimes a straight line from A to be B actually is the easiest way! Now getting into higher levels of math, you may have to go to C and backtrack to B, but don't screw up the kids in the lower levels of math so they become frustrated, overwhelmed, etc. to the point where they hate math.

10 hours ago, allboys said:

I remember my son telling me that he wasn't allowed to do his math the way I explained it to him.  I remember asking his teachers about this.  I remember them telling me it was true, they were only allowed to do their math the way they were taught in school.  I told every single teacher he had "I'll tell you what.  I will show him how to do his work the way he actually understands it.  If we have time, I'll go back and show him how you want it done.  The MOST important point is that he understands what he is doing and how he is getting to the answer, and there are multiple ways to arrive at the correct answer."  Critical thinking is a necessity.  It is necessary that children are able to understand how to solve problems, that there are multiple ways to solve problems, and for them to be able to find the way to solve the problem they are faced with.

The problem is, they'll mark his work wrong, even if he gets the correct answer. Instead of using technology to allow students to learn and advance at their pace, the industrial age education system is being ramped up even further.  

I have used this type of math all of my life , and have taught it to my children. i don't use i so  much in addition but almost always with multiplication, it's so much easier for me. 

I don't recall any longer how many pages it took Bertrand Russell in Principia Mathematica to prove that 1+1 = 2, but it was A LOT (a couple of hundred?) of pages.  If a liberal godhead and whacko like Bertrand Russell could do that and get away with it, why shouldn't a bunch of Washington and New York consultants inflict something equally foolish on children?  They're merely following in the footsteps, after all...

Seriously, it is things like this which are driving so many people who can afford it to pull their kids out of the public schools in favor of private schools where nonsense like this doesn't happen, or to home school.  Who could blame the parents?  'Tis a sad thing that the poor can't have the same options...

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

How many times I have encountered teens working a cash register and can't make the proper change. Something is really wrong somewhere along the way. Have others seen this?

5 minutes ago, TD said:

How many times I have encountered teens working a cash register and can't make the proper change. Something is really wrong somewhere along the way. Have others seen this?

Yes, I see it all the time. I took my kids to a local restaurant for lunch the other day. I had a coupon for a half dozen cookies from the bakery section, which I presented as we were checking out. The young cashier had no idea what to do with the coupon. She looked utterly perplexed. She then asked me, "What's 89 times 6?" I answered her and then she proceeded to deduct $5.34 from my bill. I realized what she was doing and told her she didn't need to deduct anything, as I hadn't paid for the cookies. I didn't even HAVE the cookies. All she needed to do was take the coupon and give me a half-dozen cookies. She still didn't get it. She wanted to deduct the amount and also give me the cookies. I'm wondering what would have happened if I told her 89 times 6 was 2,900. I guess I would have gotten lunch for free for all of us?

I always point out if I've been given too much change, undercharged for something, etc. because I have to be able to sleep at night with a clear conscience. But some of the young people working registers make it difficult to correct a mistake. They don't understand that they made one.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, sunflake said:

totally ridiculous. I just tell my grand kids now to JUST MEMORIZE the fact, this is stupid..

I don't have kids, so I don't really have a comment one way or other on this subject, but I have always been quick with numbers in my head. I have never really thought about the process that leads me to be able to do that, but that picture you posted is a pretty good simplified representation of what happens when I look at a set of numbers

2 hours ago, Snickers said:

Yes, I see it all the time. I took my kids to a local restaurant for lunch the other day. I had a coupon for a half dozen cookies from the bakery section, which I presented as we were checking out. The young cashier had no idea what to do with the coupon. She looked utterly perplexed. She then asked me, "What's 89 times 6?" I answered her and then she proceeded to deduct $5.34 from my bill. I realized what she was doing and told her she didn't need to deduct anything, as I hadn't paid for the cookies. I didn't even HAVE the cookies. All she needed to do was take the coupon and give me a half-dozen cookies. She still didn't get it. She wanted to deduct the amount and also give me the cookies. I'm wondering what would have happened if I told her 89 times 6 was 2,900. I guess I would have gotten lunch for free for all of us?

I always point out if I've been given too much change, undercharged for something, etc. because I have to be able to sleep at night with a clear conscience. But some of the young people working registers make it difficult to correct a mistake. They don't understand that they made one.

If you REALLY want to see a register operator look confused, especially at a drive-thru, hand them $7.01 when your food costs $6.51!

95% don't realize that you're making their job easier by giving them that $0.01. For some reason they'd rather count out the $0.49 (1 quarter, 2 dimes, and 4 pennies) instead of giving you $0.50 (2 quarters).

1 hour ago, gopsu said:

If you REALLY want to see a register operator look confused, especially at a drive-thru, hand them $7.01 when your food costs $6.51!

95% don't realize that you're making their job easier by giving them that $0.01. For some reason they'd rather count out the $0.49 (1 quarter, 2 dimes, and 4 pennies) instead of giving you $0.50 (2 quarters).

Want to see a highly educated engineer confused and lost watch him when a craftsman pulls out his tape measure and square and gives him an answer/calculation to a layout issue before he can unlock his Ipad to do the 30 step math calculation.

5 hours ago, Snickers said:

Sorry, Im not stupid but i wouldnt know 89×6 instantly off the top of my head either. I would also think she would have to ring the cookies up and take off the coupon and not just take the coupon and hand u the cookies. She probably needed to add the price of the cookies to your bill and then take it off with the coupon. There has to be a paper trail. I just know from working in restaurants. Maybe she was new and never recd a coupon yet. I try to give the benefit of the doubt and not just imply people are dumb 

2 hours ago, gopsu said:

I went through the drive thru last night. My total was 6.03. I gave the young man a 20 and a nickel. At first I was given 2 cents and my receipt. I then said I gave you a twenty. Then he looks kind of funny then says what is 20-6?  I say 14. He then walks away from the register returns and gives me 13 dollars. I say it should be 14. He gave me My other dollar and finally it was correct.  It's not like they were super busy nobody was in front or behind me. 

1 hour ago, Lyndsey33 said:

Sorry, Im not stupid but i wouldnt know 89×6 instantly off the top of my head either. I would also think she would have to ring the cookies up and take off the coupon and not just take the coupon and hand u the cookies. She probably needed to add the price of the cookies to your bill and then take it off with the coupon. There has to be a paper trail. I just know from working in restaurants. Maybe she was new and never recd a coupon yet. I try to give the benefit of the doubt and not just imply people are dumb 

I wasn't implying she was stupid because she asked me what 89 x 6 is (although mental math isn't that hard to figure out or, at the very least, grab a calculator and maybe don't ask the customer for the answer because not everyone is honest). I'm saying she didn't even understand that she would need to add on the cost before she subtracted it if, indeed, there needed to be a paper trail. She just subtracted it and then wanted to give me the cookies. That was like giving away a whole dozen.

I know what you are saying but sometimes peoples minds go blank. I know mine does at times. It happens. Mental math is not taught like it use to be. My kids never had to do that. Yes they know their times tables..they to are not dumb.. but they never learned how you mentioned figuring it out above.

5 minutes ago, sunflake said:

We are adults, Kids will eventually be Adults.  THEN they will understand why 12-9 =3.  Until then MEMORIZE the fact..

Adults dont seem to realize that these are teenagers they are dealing with. They havent been working as long, giving change as long, worrying about math figures as long. Quit expecting them to be these amazing math whizzes at a high school job.

They have a computer/register right in front of them to input your order & cash given. It tells them what to give you back, no mental math involved. Just need to know how to hit the corresponding numbers. And that's part of the problem, technology doing the work for you. 

17 minutes ago, Trillyn said:

They have a computer/register right in front of them to input your order & cash given. It tells them what to give you back, no mental math involved. Just need to know how to hit the corresponding numbers. And that's part of the problem, technology doing the work for you. 

And same goes for adults. I could count back change with no register telling me what to do if i had to but i was taught how in school and used it with my first few jobs in high school and out of school( 20 years ago). Young teens and younger adults dont have to do that so it doesnt come easy when put on the spot.

3 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

And same goes for adults. I could count back change with no register telling me what to do if i had to but i was taught how in school and used it with my first few jobs in high school and out of school( 20 years ago). Young teens and younger adults dont have to do that so it doesnt come easy when put on the spot.

I worked at a store when I was a teenager many, many moons ago. The owner would not hire you if you couldn't count back change. He had a register that would tell the correct change, but shut that feature off. He said he was doing a favor for the customer, as well as the young people working for him. I already knew how to count back the money, but this man taught kids how to do this better than anyone I've seen since, including teachers. You always announced the total to the customer, took the bills from the customer and laid them on top of the drawer. You then announced the total again and counted up to the amount the customer gave you, announcing what bill you were giving them until you reached the original customer payment. He never had a short drawer or an angry customer, and there was no way you could be scammed since the bill was still lying across the drawer.

3 hours ago, legal said:

89 x 6

90 x 6= 540 540-6=534

I think this way when I calculate tips and tax on items but I was never taught to do it in school. It just is easier when working in your head. Like doing 15% tip this way. Say bill was $24.60 you move the decimal point to the left for the 10% divide what's left by 2 and add the answers together : 2.46/2=1.23     2.46+1.23=3.69 tip

On 8/4/2017 at 0:39 PM, sunflake said:

I can guarantee you the teachers are NOT responsible for this...  Do Not blame them.  no text book at all.. 

You took the words right out of my mouth. The teachers have NO say and NO choice at all in this decision. It's ridiculous.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --