ALL MEMBERS OF THE OLD CLASSIFIEDS WILL HAVE TO RE-REGISTER TO POST ADS HERE  >> REGISTER HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
michael880

Humming birds

I mixed up some sugar water for my humming birds and they drained it in a week, so I mixed up another batch.  This time, they are leaving it alone.  I got thinking about it and realized that I added too much water and it probably wasn't sweet enough this time!  I'll have to follow my recipe more closely.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

I love them and I've got them so spoiled. If the feeders are out of sugar water, they'll come right in front of our faces and give us heck in no uncertain terms, lol! 

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

Be sure to put the feeder out with a very clean exterior, an ant block, and a feeder with bee guards on it.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

I finally took mine down, I have no idea but didn't attract any this year, so disappointed.  We always had 3-4 all summer but none this year.:(

'

i

:ps:

15 hours ago, slk24 said:

I finally took mine down, I have no idea but didn't attract any this year, so disappointed.  We always had 3-4 all summer but none this year.:(

'

i

They must have come to my house this year.  I have had at least six distinct birds all summer.  There may actually be more since many don't have enough distinguishing markings for me to say they were different birds.  I saw one earlier this week that seemed different than all of the regular ones.  It had a brighter red throat than I have seen before.

1 hour ago, hipower said:

They must have come to my house this year.  I have had at least six distinct birds all summer.  There may actually be more since many don't have enough distinguishing markings for me to say they were different birds.  I saw one earlier this week that seemed different than all of the regular ones.  It had a brighter red throat than I have seen before.

I don.t know if this is true of all hummingbirds, but at my house, the boys always leave around Labor Day. The girls stay an extra week and drink their fill without being harassed by the boys. I keep my feeders out  until late September for the occasional straggler. Maybe your new guy lived farther North this year and might just be passing through on his journey south.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:56 AM, Sanibel said:

I don.t know if this is true of all hummingbirds, but at my house, the boys always leave around Labor Day. The girls stay an extra week and drink their fill without being harassed by the boys. I keep my feeders out  until late September for the occasional straggler. Maybe your new guy lived farther North this year and might just be passing through on his journey south.

The majority of my hummingbirds have already headed south... 3 or 4 females remain.