GoDuBois.com

How is everyone's garden doing?

steelnut

I forgot about cucumbers, they are coming like crazy. I purposely planted them late. And I planted some and waited 4 weeks to plant the rest of them because every year by the time the tomatoes are ready the cucumbers are done. It didn't work. I have no ripe tomatoes except for a few cherry ones. :( Oh well, you can't always have what you want. 

I also planted bok choy this year and it grew so fast. It's been done for a while now. So I planted more beets where they were.

You inspired me to go out and look at the garden up close and take some pics.

It has been awhile and the weeds have almost overtaken some stuff. I hate to weed and usually the paper works great and this year it did also except where I ripped the paper walking on it.

I tilled deeper this year and my garden was very soft so when i was planting my knees and feet ripped the paper.

Everything did well but the weeds are bad. If you have seen pics of my garden in the past there is hardly a weed. all in all everything is doing great.

I even have lots of watermelon.

Butternut squash grew so well it climbed up the fence.

IMG_7500.JPG

The plant below is Stevia I should grab some leaves next week and dry them to use in place of sugar since I am diabetic.

IMG_7513.JPG

Candy Onions I put in a  couple of planters and some that are in the upper garden.

I need to clean and re-stain my table top I built on some tree stumps and the bench I made.

I have the stain just haven't done it yet. Well I have a couple weeks to do  it.

I need to make a to do list because I am getting forgetful lately. .

IMG_7503.JPG

IMG_7504.JPG

IMG_7506.JPG

Cabbage is doing great.

I love the purple ones.

My wife said she is going to cook them and make me eat it since I planted it. I don't like cabbage. :no:  Except for pigs in a blanket.

I just like planting different stuff and seeing how it does.

My wife is planning on making sauerkraut with the other ones.

Cauliflower is doing well.

IMG_7505.JPG

Cauliflower is doing well.

IMG_7514.JPG

and so are the tomatoes.

IMG_7511.JPG

I just drag and drop them onto the message box. It is so much easier than the old way of searching and uploading. Now I just have my file folder open the one containing the pics I shrunk to size and just left click and hold and then drag them across the screen and drop(take my finger off the left button.).

I also use this site to bulk shrink them and do the same thing I just drag on drop them onto the websites box and them just click save zip. The nice thing about this site it shrinks to the same needed automatically. The size is on the right of the screen and you can change it but I dont and they come out great as you see.

http://birme.net/

On my computer I just put in the SD card out of my camera into the slot on the front of my computer and it does everything automatically for the most part. It uploads them from the SD card onto the computer. Now you have to know where they are going to in order to find them again. When I find the ones I downloaded after shrinking them I just make a new folder in my pics folder and name it something I will remember.  I copy them all and just paste them in that new folder. I only do this for posting on this site since I have tons of pics and need to just upload the ones I just shrunk and if I need to upload later I have them by themselves.

I lost a lot of plants to a fungus that was rotting them at soil level. Too much rain, I guess. Once i figured out what the fungus was I sprayed and things settled down. Unfortunately, I had lost half of the cauliflower and broccoli, some of the cabbage a few peppers and tomatoes. Cucumbers died to a plant. I've got tons of beans, more than enough summer squash and lettuce that is as tall as I am. We let it go to seed and every year we get volunteers that are ready very early. Winter squash and onions look good and I have some purple tomatillos. Waiting to see what will happen with the peppers and eggplant. Most of the corn rotted before it germinated.

1 hour ago, Gator11 said:

You inspired me to go out and look at the garden up close and take some pics.

It has been awhile and the weeds have almost overtaken some stuff. I hate to weed and usually the paper works great and this year it did also except where I ripped the paper walking on it.

I tilled deeper this year and my garden was very soft so when i was planting my knees and feet ripped the paper.

Everything did well but the weeds are bad. If you have seen pics of my garden in the past there is hardly a weed. all in all everything is doing great.

I even have lots of watermelon.

Butternut squash grew so well it climbed up the fence.

IMG_7500.JPG

The plant below is Stevia I should grab some leaves next week and dry them to use in place of sugar since I am diabetic.

IMG_7513.JPG

Tilling will always bring the old weed seeds to the surface.  Try just loosening it with a spade fork but not turning it over.

8 hours ago, Petee said:

Tilling will always bring the old weed seeds to the surface.  Try just loosening it with a spade fork but not turning it over.

hehe I neither have the time or ambition for this. I am seriously considering raised beds. I may make some forms and just make them out of concrete but like most of my other ideas they just gather dust in the back of my head :nobrainzombis:

If you do the raised beds then you'll never have to till again and you'll get more produce per square foot.  Make them as high as possible, and consider using raw 2 inch thick hemlock.  They can be leveled easily using the pattern we did at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.  Take a run down and see what is growing there.  The beds need weeded (Wednesday) but the amount of weeds is ridiculously low and they are so easy to pull.  Watering is cut to almost nothing too if you amend your soil heavily with leaf compost.  

12 hours ago, Gator11 said:

hehe I neither have the time or ambition for this. I am seriously considering raised beds. I may make some forms and just make them out of concrete but like most of my other ideas they just gather dust in the back of my head :nobrainzombis:

Last spring Hubby built two raised beds for the garden. they're 4 x 10. I have to say that the raised beds do better than just planting in the ground. He thought about making more this spring, but I talked him out of it :( Maybe next year. I keep saying that we have to cut back! Everything seems to come in at the same time and it's hard to get everything done every day along with all of the regular ordinary things that have to be attended to. I have two bushels of picked peppers that need tended to and I don't know how I'm going to find the time, but I'm going to get them done! :)

Oh and back to my green and wax beans that I've planted three times. I've felt from the beginning that it's rabbits. SO I've sprayed and sprayed the stinky  Liquid Fence around the perimeter of the garden religiously and also around the beans. And we have an electric fence. I also made up rabbit sprays and used them. I sprinkled crushed egg shells around them. I was in that garden most of the day yesterday and the beans looked good for being the third round. I go up this morning and once again, most of them were eaten!!! ONLY the beans! The sweet peas and lettuce are in the next row and not touched, nothing but the beans. I'm done, let them eat them and enjoy them as long as they let the rest alone.

Our garden is doing well.  I have canned some beets to give more room for others to grow,  Last night hubby picked a bushel of yellow wax beans, I got 54 pints today.  He picked another bushel tonight, for canning tomorrow,  Planning to do corn on Wednesday.  We've been eating new potatoes for a couple of weeks now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just checking in to see how everyone's gardens are doing? All is well here, especially what's planted in the raised beds. I have another 1/2 bushel of beets to get done and tons of hot peppers.

I still do not have a ripe tomato??? Everyone I know has them but us. Only ripe cherry tomatoes. No San Martzano's or Celebrity's. :( The plants are loaded with tomatoes, but they just aren't getting ripe.

Oh well, all in due time I guess. But, we really need some rain.  

They will either ripen slowly if it stays cool at night, or if we get some warm nights then they may speed up.  

You're so right about the rain.  It's dry!  So many of the new plants at Charlie's desperately needed watered this evening.  We're almost finished with the rain water collection system and I don't think it will be a minute too soon.....if it rains.

Hubby just gave away a grocery bag full of tomatoes this morning, and I have another to go tomorrow.  We've been eating them for a couple of weeks. I will make some juice with some, but I quit making sauce.  The black ...whatever...cherry tomatoes were first.  I'm not crazy about them.  So far we have done 2 bushel of beans and gave away one.  Did 20 pints of beets so far, 15 doz ears of corn cut off and frozen. Stuffed and froze 60 peppers. We had a really good cantaloupe yesterday and have some nice watermelon soon ready.  We planted 50 lb. of potatoes, so those will have to be dug soon.  We've been eating them for a while.   I think I took some pictures, perhaps I can post them sometime soon.

We've been watering when nature didn't.  We set up one of those big liquid holding tanks to catch rain water and with it being elevated a bit from the garden there is enough pressure to water with a hose.