GoDuBois.com

How is everyone's garden doing?

steelnut

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:58 PM, steelnut said:

I know lots of folks love autumn, I do too, but to a point. I hate that everything is dying. I love spring when everything is coming to life. I had my annual cry in my garden this week. It's just so sad that it's almost over and we have to wait until next May to plant again, 8 months away.  :( 

Just getting ready for the winter garden :D

080.JPG

Toss in some bunching onions for spring and a layer of wood chips, and you won't have to till in the spring.  Your soil will be much richer and have better tilth, more worms and each year you will get closer to a perfect soil.  Fewer insects, less fertilizer, healthier plants with more disease resistance and better water retention.

14 hours ago, Petee said:

Toss in some bunching onions for spring and a layer of wood chips, and you won't have to till in the spring.  Your soil will be much richer and have better tilth, more worms and each year you will get closer to a perfect soil.  Fewer insects, less fertilizer, healthier plants with more disease resistance and better water retention.

Thanks, I'll try that :good:

It can take up to 3 years of wood chips to reach perfect composition but you can reduce that drastically by using a deep (6-8 inch) layer of very well rotted chips.   If they are fresh then they can take a year or two to compost properly.  In that case, use them in a thin layer for weed prevention.  Fresh chips use nitrogen, composted chips release it.

2 hours ago, Petee said:

It can take up to 3 years of wood chips to reach perfect composition but you can reduce that drastically by using a deep (6-8 inch) layer of very well rotted chips.   If they are fresh then they can take a year or two to compost properly.  In that case, use them in a thin layer for weed prevention.  Fresh chips use nitrogen, composted chips release it.

Oh, I have a mountain of a compost pile :lol:

All grass clippings and leaves go in my pens, the chickens add fertilizer and turn it rigorously, then every spring that layer is cleaned out and put in the compost pile. I learned the hard way not to put it in the garden the first year :duh:

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, Petee said:

OK, I'm jealous!  Compost is better than gold!

Have you tried that with your chickens?  I wind up with a mix that is about 60% grass/40% dried leaves. It is great to absorb moisture from rain, so it never turns into that mushy nastiness that you get from chickens on dirt. It also kills 90% of the odor that one would normally think of at a chicken farm. People comment all the time on how little smell there is in my penning area.They turn it so much that it ends up looking like a 6-8 inch layer of brownish black fine mulch by the time I clean it out in the spring

Their outer run is beautiful soil but I need to add more wood chips.  Hubby has been doing the major hauling to the berry patch but the girlies will need some soon.  I suppose I should get my butt out there and help.:angry:  He also hauls the clumps of fresh cut grass to them and they have a real party tossing it around.  This year I finally have enough leaves to make raking them worth while.  A sycamore and a Catalpa that were planted years ago have big canopies and bigger leaves.  I'll add them to the mountain of coffee grounds that I've been collecting for the last year.  Next spring, a cement mixer to make compost for the BUDS and me.  Anyone have an old clunker that they want to get rid of?

The coop hasn't been cleaned since June and there is NO smell.  For that I buy a bale of pine chips and they work great!