GoDuBois.com

How is everyone's garden doing?

steelnut

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally getting tomatoes, hoping to get enough for a couple of loads to can. Peppers are crazy! I'm going to do a couple of loads of them in the next few days. At least one in evoo and vinegar and one in evoo and sauce. I already did two loads of refrigerator pickled peppers. And we stuffed a bunch and froze them. The cukes are about done. And my squash aren't looking too happy either. My peas got this white film on them so we pulled them early and now the squash has the same thing, so we're going to pull them. I hope everyone's gardens are doing well!

peppers done fairly well. I did not lpant many. Tomatoes are doing great and so is the celery.  Watermelons I have a half dozen or more of a couple varieties. Picked my last onion tonight. Wahhhh. This is the first time I got onions to grow bigger than what I started with. 

22 minutes ago, Gator11 said:

peppers done fairly well. I did not lpant many. Tomatoes are doing great and so is the celery.  Watermelons I have a half dozen or more of a couple varieties. Picked my last onion tonight. Wahhhh. This is the first time I got onions to grow bigger than what I started with. 

We just planted the last of the onions on Saturday, we love green onions, so I buy a lot of them and as we pick, we re-plant them. We didn't do watermelon this year but we did plant cantaloupe and they're doing really well. You just never know with a garden from one year to the next, it just keeps us on our toes!

1 hour ago, steelnut said:

I'm finally getting tomatoes, hoping to get enough for a couple of loads to can. Peppers are crazy! I'm going to do a couple of loads of them in the next few days. At least one in evoo and vinegar and one in evoo and sauce. I already did two loads of refrigerator pickled peppers. And we stuffed a bunch and froze them. The cukes are about done. And my squash aren't looking too happy either. My peas got this white film on them so we pulled them early and now the squash has the same thing, so we're going to pull them. I hope everyone's gardens are doing well!

Powdery Mildew?  You're lucky to have peas at this time of year.  I planted Austrian Winter Peas in June and they are just now coming on strong.  They loved the hot weather and the little peas are very sweet.  They go up a piece of cattle panel right to the top.  You can see them at the Outdoor Education Center at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds right inside of the gate at the office.  There's lots more to see there too.  We're experimenting with soil and different gardening ideas. 

15 minutes ago, steelnut said:

We just planted the last of the onions on Saturday, we love green onions, so I buy a lot of them and as we pick, we re-plant them. We didn't do watermelon this year but we did plant cantaloupe and they're doing really well. You just never know with a garden from one year to the next, it just keeps us on our toes!

Have you ever tried trellising all the vining crops?  It's amazing how much better they do.

10 minutes ago, Petee said:

Have you ever tried trellising all the vining crops?  It's amazing how much better they do.

Yes, we trellis the peas, sugar snaps, cucumbers and the cantalope.  We had to pull the peas about three weeks ago because of the powdery mildew thing and now it's onto the squash. I did research it and there are varying opinions.

I highly recommend a tomato called Chef's Pink. I don't know if is the weather or what but we got tomatoes this year that are bigger than anything we have ever grown. They are a beefsteak and I just weighed one at 1.7 pounds and it wasn't even the biggest one I've picked. They are perfect without a blemish. Also, not really pink but a dull red. All the tomatoes did well this year after the initial problem with the fungus. Also peppers are doing well. The ones Ted Lyons sold me are doing better than the ones I raised from seed. Hope he remembers what they were because I want more for next year. I usually can't grow full sized peppers but these are doing as well as the sweet bananas which are my staple. Going to be tons of butternut squash. Cucumbers were a total failure as was the corn. For anyone who likes greens the Russian red kale is good from early spring until the snow flies. It is a good fall back veggie when nothing else is ready. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, steelnut said:

I have purposely been avoiding this thread because of the geographical difference, but it was really interesting reading. Finally getting ripe tomatoes on Aug. 28? Lord, by the first of August I'm ready for everything to just die :lol:. I usually plant just before or on Easter, everything is beautiful in June, and by August the thrill is gone. Now it's time to start thinking about the Winter garden, which interestingly enough sounds like what you guys just call a garden. Leafy greens, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc... You can't grow that stuff in the summer down here, it does best in the fall and early winter. I'll plant in September, have fresh broccoli casserole for Thanksgiving, then a good supply of kale, turnip greens, and collard greens until it all warms up and goes to seed in the spring. I even plant 2 patches of kale just to keep the chickens in something green through the winter ;)

3 hours ago, landfillguy said:

I have purposely been avoiding this thread because of the geographical difference, but it was really interesting reading. Finally getting ripe tomatoes on Aug. 28? Lord, by the first of August I'm ready for everything to just die :lol:. I usually plant just before or on Easter, everything is beautiful in June, and by August the thrill is gone. Now it's time to start thinking about the Winter garden, which interestingly enough sounds like what you guys just call a garden. Leafy greens, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc... You can't grow that stuff in the summer down here, it does best in the fall and early winter. I'll plant in September, have fresh broccoli casserole for Thanksgiving, then a good supply of kale, turnip greens, and collard greens until it all warms up and goes to seed in the spring. I even plant 2 patches of kale just to keep the chickens in something green through the winter ;)

Now quit yer bragging :)! Hubby's best friend is from Alabama and he's always talking about his two gardens every year just to make me drool! But he does bring me up fresh peaches every year, so all is forgiven.

2 minutes ago, steelnut said:

Now quit yer bragging :)! Hubby's best friend is from Alabama and he's always talking about his two gardens every year just to make me drool! But he does bring me up fresh peaches every year, so all is forgiven.

Don't forget the hurricanes, though. You have to take the good with the bad ;)

9 minutes ago, landfillguy said:

Don't forget the hurricanes, though. You have to take the good with the bad ;)

Oh I know, I don't like storms at all and I absolutely HATE humidity! July and August here are usually really humid, but this August is very weird, we have temps way, way below the average. The low tonight in some areas will be in the 30's! I think in DuBois in the 40's. It doesn't bother me at all, but my garden needs some warm nights.

15 minutes ago, lavender said:

The cold nights aren't helping the tomatoes ripen and my eggplant is just starting to blossom. Going to be darned lucky if the weather holds long enough to produce eggplant. 

I know, we need some warm nights! I remember way back, maybe 20 or more years ago, we had the same situation. We picked all of the tomatoes and put down newspapers and laid them all out in a single layer and then covered them. They did ripen but it took time. And I just don't like the thoughts of it, I'd rather they ripen naturally, on the plants.

7 hours ago, landfillguy said:

We're trying to get people to do winter gardening up here, but the norm is to consider the garden pretty much done by mid-September.  You have to use a small hoop house through the winter but no heat.  Then you get to avoid the bugs.

5 hours ago, steelnut said:

I know, we need some warm nights! I remember way back, maybe 20 or more years ago, we had the same situation. We picked all of the tomatoes and put down newspapers and laid them all out in a single layer and then covered them. They did ripen but it took time. And I just don't like the thoughts of it, I'd rather they ripen naturally, on the plants.

Tell me about it! That is about the time we moved to DuBois. The first year I got nothing because of the groundhogs and then for two or three years we ripened tomatoes in the basement and on windowsills because nothing ripened in the garden. We did get beautiful cabbages and broccoli though. Now the tomatoes ripen and the peppers grow but the spring crops are iffy. The climate seems to have changed in the last 20-30 years. 

11 hours ago, Petee said:

We're trying to get people to do winter gardening up here, but the norm is to consider the garden pretty much done by mid-September.  You have to use a small hoop house through the winter but no heat.  Then you get to avoid the bugs.

The only thing that will slow down the winter garden here is snow, but the greens will pop back up as soon as it thaws. 6 inches is a blizzard here. The state will shut down, every ditch will be full of cars, and kids will be out of school for a week :funny4:

17 hours ago, lavender said:

Tell me about it! That is about the time we moved to DuBois. The first year I got nothing because of the groundhogs and then for two or three years we ripened tomatoes in the basement and on windowsills because nothing ripened in the garden. We did get beautiful cabbages and broccoli though. Now the tomatoes ripen and the peppers grow but the spring crops are iffy. The climate seems to have changed in the last 20-30 years. 

Shhhh, don't say climate change!! Just kidding, but I agree with you. This August was weird, usually I'm not fond of it because I'm warm blooded and hate humidity, but wow at the temps we've been having. I feel for those wanting to enjoy their pools.

11 hours ago, landfillguy said:

The only thing that will slow down the winter garden here is snow, but the greens will pop back up as soon as it thaws. 6 inches is a blizzard here. The state will shut down, every ditch will be full of cars, and kids will be out of school for a week :funny4:

The green seem to be hardier than the natives. It is just the opposite around here. We'll drive on anything but the greens don't do much even in the greenhouse. I had a friend who was all excited about growing kale all winter in an unheated greenhouse. It sat there and looked at her until spring. 

12 hours ago, landfillguy said:

Yep that is true. When I lived in North Carolina one inch of snow and the natives could not drive.  Funny thing was it was mostly flat and a slight grade and they would just floor it spin and slip and slide into a ditch or yard. It sure was funny to drive buy all those people standing by their cars as I drove past without even spinning a tire. The look on their faces was priceless. 

10 hours ago, Gator11 said:

Yep that is true. When I lived in North Carolina one inch of snow and the natives could not drive.  Funny thing was it was mostly flat and a slight grade and they would just floor it spin and slip and slide into a ditch or yard. It sure was funny to drive buy all those people standing by their cars as I drove past without even spinning a tire. The look on their faces was priceless. 

The best part is in my little country town everyone has a 4 wheeler, Gator, or Razr. It's like the redneck Iditarod :lol:

I am sure they do now there also. This was back in the early 80's.    

In Forida where I lived when I was young for years it was the same. We got an inch of snow that I remember back in the early 70's and while we kids loved it I am sure the adults didn't.

I remember the same scenario back then people spinning everywhere but then again there were a lot of muscle cars and mostly all were rear wheel drives.

It only lasted about two or three hours. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:12 AM, Gator11 said:

I am sure they do now there also. This was back in the early 80's.    

In Forida where I lived when I was young for years it was the same. We got an inch of snow that I remember back in the early 70's and while we kids loved it I am sure the adults didn't.

I remember the same scenario back then people spinning everywhere but then again there were a lot of muscle cars and mostly all were rear wheel drives.

It only lasted about two or three hours. 

What really messes people up here is the ice. Powdery snow isn't so bad, but we are usually right on the sleet/snow line, so we get a lot of road icing. If we do get powder, it will partially thaw during the day, then refreeze overnight. Add ice to a bunch of people that like to stab the accelerator or brakes, and it turns into a circus. I will just throw a chain in the bucket of the tractor and drive a mile or two around the house pulling people out