MY LOCAL MENUS COMING ON TUESDAY AUGUST 22ND!

GoDuBois.com
Jay

Unclogging a drain

Question

What do you all use to unclog drains short of using a snake?   I have tried Drano and baking soda, salt, and vinegar.    My next try is Liquid Plumber but thought I would ask for suggestions first.  Thank you.

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What do you all use to unclog drains short of using a snake?   I have tried Drano and baking soda, salt, and vinegar.    My next try is Liquid Plumber but thought I would ask for suggestions first.  Thank you.

First is it clogged or is there a bigger issue. Seems u have tried alot.  I would try snaking it and if that doesn't work call a plumber.

What is plugged? Sink, toilet, shower/tub?? Are your drain lines PVC, Copper, Galvanized, or Lead?? City sewage or septic tank?? Did it happen all of a sudden or has it been getting slow??

If it's a sink, shower, or tub most likely the trap under the fixture is clogged tight and you can take it off by unscrewing the nuts holding it together under the sink and clean it out. They make a small "cork screw" type of snake you can use so you don't have to take the trap off but I have found it is easier and better to just take the trap off and clean it out.

If it's a toilet there is either something stuck in the internal trap that is built into the toilet or something in the drain line itself. If your a DIY person all you need to do is shut off the water to the toilet and unhook it, take the two nuts off off the toilet closet flange bolts, lift the toilet straight off the bolts, dump the water into a bucket or tub, lay it on it side to see if you see anything in the underneath of the toilet, take an old coat hanger or heavy wire and stick up in there to see if there is something stuck.  If the toilet is clear then it's the pipe and you'll have to snake it. If it's not a major clog you can break it loose with a hand snake. If that doesn't work I'd call someone with a drain camera and an electric snake to find it and clean it out. If you pull the toilet you'll have to buy a new wax ring to replace the one on the bottom of the toilet. 

Here is the best drain opener I've come across. It is some nasty stuff and if your lines are thinner than schedule 40 PVC pipe I have seen this stuff melt the plastic pipe it gets so hot. I don't know if Lowes carries it but I know we've got it at H&H in both DuBois and Punxsy but its been awhile. You 100% want to wear rubber gloves, safety glasses, and even a face shield if you use this.

HERCLOBBER12GAL.jpg

If you have a septic system be careful what you use. You do not want to kill the bacteria in the system.  Drano is bad for pipes also. I would stay away from that stuff.

Since you have tried everything may I suggest a shop vac. Yes you read it right. It has worked for me on several occasions at work.

Although I have never used on on a toilet though.       :no:   :yuk:

also try the boiling water technique that dubois_15801 suggested.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ditch-the-drano-the-best-ways-to-unclog-your-drain-110194381045.html

http://www.wisebread.com/10-really-easy-ways-to-unclog-drains

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom