WHERE? AND WHAT? IS THIS .. CONTEST! Check it out > HERE!
 

Jump to content
GoDuBois.com
Jeff

Sandy Township Water/Sewage Bill

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, thertguy said:

Havnt looked at bill, since wife does it.

ARGhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHH !!!!!!

Water                           $74.15
Sewer                          $86.90
Maintenance Charge $12.25
I & I Charge                 $57.95

Total  $231.25 Of AWSOMENESS !!!

Holy heck, you pay that every month? Wow! I grumble paying $85.00. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at how much it is taking away from families who could use that money for their kids and homes?  I can't imagine having a bill like that.


"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

curious how a house that only gets water and not sewage that lies in Sandy is billed ? all those charges applied , ( or just some ? ) .....or just water usage or a min. charge for each resident or metered ?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rossiter said:

It is a leak of non-sewer water into the sewage collection system. It gets transported with the sewage to the plant where they are both treated, even though only the sewage requires treatment. It increases the burden on the plant and drives up costs, which are passed on to the consumer.

This cost was addressed years ago with a upgrade to the sewage plant which added a storage tank to capture the extra inflow after rain storms. This keeps the sewage plant from overflowing its capacity. The DEP made DuBois do this. Both Sandy and DuBois shared the cost of the tank. The I&I water enters the system in both municipalities.The water entering the system is clear water which does not cost much to treat and has been entering the system for the last 30 or 40 years.  DuBois does not add a I&I for their own customers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, falsecreek said:

curious how a house that only gets water and not sewage that lies in Sandy is billed ? all those charges applied , ( or just some ? ) .....or just water usage or a min. charge for each resident or metered ?...

You will just get a water bill for usage and maintenance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, steelnut said:

But, Sandy doesn't provide sewer service, the City does. And I feel extremely lucky because we live way out and have our own well and septic system. So as an observer and from hearing relatives complaints, it seems that it's the City that is forcing the Township to raise costs. Even though the water and sewage plants are located in Sandy Two, they are owned by the City and the City controls the costs, not the Twp. I could be wrong but from what I've read in the CE after council meetings, it's all on the City.

Sandy does own it sewage system but buys the services from DuBois . This type of arrangement makes the rates DuBois charges not for review by the PUC. DuBois can charge whatever they feel like. if DuBois owned the system the rates would be the same for all customers. 

Here is a example. I live in Sandy Township but get my water bill from DuBois.(DuBois maintains the line) I actually pay a little less than DuBois residents for the water portion of my bill because the PUC governs rates for that type of transaction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

This cost was addressed years ago with a upgrade to the sewage plant which added a storage tank to capture the extra inflow after rain storms. This keeps the sewage plant from overflowing its capacity. The DEP made DuBois do this. Both Sandy and DuBois shared the cost of the tank. The I&I water enters the system in both municipalities.The water entering the system is clear water which does not cost much to treat and has been entering the system for the last 30 or 40 years.  DuBois does not add a I&I for their own customers. 

I believe the bigger part of the issue for the I&I charges imposed on Sandy Township is that it has failed to make, or even show that it intends to make, needed repairs to its end of the system.

The tank was not meant to be a solution but a stop-gap procedure while repairs were initiated. It was then supposed to provide a buffer in emergency situations.

The severity of the charge, as I understand it, was also done with the blessing of the DEP to get the township to address the matter.

However, since you continue to see the township push the full penalty on to its residents after reaching an agreement with the city to lower the charge, it would seem to imply that the township has spread the monies previously collected for maintenance elsewhere.


"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Vader said:

I believe the bigger part of the issue for the I&I charges imposed on Sandy Township is that it has failed to make, or even show that it intends to make, needed repairs to its end of the system.

The tank was not meant to be a solution but a stop-gap procedure while repairs were initiated. It was then supposed to provide a buffer in emergency situations.

The severity of the charge, as I understand it, was also done with the blessing of the DEP to get the township to address the matter.

However, since you continue to see the township push the full penalty on to its residents after reaching an agreement with the city to lower the charge, it would seem to imply that the township has spread the monies previously collected for maintenance elsewhere.

The tank was the solution at the time(2004 I think)

You are correct that Act 537 is the cause of the sudden interest in the I&I by both municipalities. DuBois will increase their own rates by 2 dollars per 1000 gallons bringing their rate to $11/1000 gallons. Sandy Township residents ( excluding Treasure Lake)  are paying about $25 per 1000 gallons.(4.45 charge for I&I from DuBois and $5 more from Sandy)

DuBois might have to construct a new sewage plant in the future also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Keyser Soze said:

The tank was the solution at the time(2004 I think)

You are correct that Act 537 is the cause of the sudden interest in the I&I by both municipalities. DuBois will increase their own rates by 2 dollars per 1000 gallons bringing their rate to $11/1000 gallons. Sandy Township residents ( excluding Treasure Lake)  are paying about $25 per 1000 gallons.(4.45 charge for I&I from DuBois and $5 more from Sandy)

DuBois might have to construct a new sewage plant in the future also.

That's when things will get interesting.


"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vader said:

That's when things will get interesting.

It is hard to believe how these rates  got to this point. The solution would be for Sandy to fold their system into either DuBois or a Aqua takeover. A regional municipal authority would be a solution also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I would not buy a home in Sandy township served by the Sandy system. The rates will continue to rise. 

I have a house in Sandy Township and I'm on the Sandy sewage line.  My sewage bill from Sandy Township is $85.00 and water bill from the City of DuBois is $23.00.  I've been complaining about the sewage rates being so high (it used to be $54.00).  But after seeing others bills I'll quit complaining.  Geeessshhh.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, classicjenn said:

I have a house in Sandy Township and I'm on the Sandy sewage line.  My sewage bill from Sandy Township is $85.00 and water bill from the City of DuBois is $23.00.  I've been complaining about the sewage rates being so high (it used to be $54.00).  But after seeing others bills I'll quit complaining.  Geeessshhh.....

After reading all of these posts, I'll never talk bad about the big ugly...errr, I mean beautiful...sand mound in my yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, soccermom said:

This area, not just Sandy, is just incredible. Economy is not good, yet the cost of living is high.  

I moved back to the area for the cheaper cost of living.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cacao said:

I moved back to the area for the cheaper cost of living.

How's that working out? Seriously, the price of utilities, school taxes, and insurance is high. I was just speaking with a man who moved here for his work. He said his car insurance is double to triple what it was in other places. I met some other people who moved here for work, who then moved away, and were offered another job in PA. They won't move back because of high costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soccermom said:

How's that working out? Seriously, the price of utilities, school taxes, and insurance is high. I was just speaking with a man who moved here for his work. He said his car insurance is double to triple what it was in other places. I met some other people who moved here for work, who then moved away, and were offered another job in PA. They won't move back because of high costs. 

Quite well.  Now, the move was not a 1:1.  There are some bills that we had and no longer have (i.e. water/sewage).  We also downsized our house.  3000 sq ft to an 1100 sq ft. But, our local and school taxes combined declined nearly 30% (did pay $4200/yr).  Car insurance went up and I find that odd...with less people on the roads around here.  Our combined income declined 6%, but our overall yearly savings increased 42%.  (I track spending like a hawk)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The 10 least expensive counties to live in Pa.
Clearfield ranked #5

The first 10 counties that we list here are the 10 least expensive counties in Pennsylvania to live in, according to the study. Nine of the counties are in western Pennsylvania. Most of the counties in this category are in a general area which is to the west and northwest of Centre County. The one major exception and the only county that is listed as one of the most affordable to live that is to the east of Centre County is actually a neighbor of Dauphin County, and that is Schuylkill County. 

http://www.pennlive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2017/09/most_expensive_places_in_pa.html

 

What five Pa. counties have the highest auto insurance rates? This map will tell you

http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2015/07/what_five_pa_counties_have_the.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another expense my old county had that we do not have here is emissions with car inspection.  If I remember correctly, our car inspection was typically $70-75.  Emissions was $35-40 of that.  Also, since I lived IN Hershey, they had a $800/yr tax to keep the town beautiful.  They claimed it was to maintain flowers, mulch, etc.  In my opinion, it was to keep low income families from moving there.  So, most of the low income families live in Palmyra (2 miles from Hershey).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, old farm boy said:

It's my opinion that the higher prices for auto insurance are caused by two things. Winter road conditions and whitetail deer.

They have winter road conditions and whitetail deer in many states who have much lower insurance rates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:
The 10 least expensive counties to live in Pa.
Clearfield ranked #5

The first 10 counties that we list here are the 10 least expensive counties in Pennsylvania to live in, according to the study. Nine of the counties are in western Pennsylvania. Most of the counties in this category are in a general area which is to the west and northwest of Centre County. The one major exception and the only county that is listed as one of the most affordable to live that is to the east of Centre County is actually a neighbor of Dauphin County, and that is Schuylkill County. 

http://www.pennlive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2017/09/most_expensive_places_in_pa.html

 

What five Pa. counties have the highest auto insurance rates? This map will tell you

http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2015/07/what_five_pa_counties_have_the.html

That's only listing home information. Haven't you been in this thread talking about how water and sewer are not affordable? Now everything is good? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, back to topic....

So what's the resolution here?  What needs to be done to bring rates back to earth?  Vote the bums out?  Torches and pitchforks?  Or, simply decide which ankle you're going to grab first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Ok, back to topic....

So what's the resolution here?  What needs to be done to bring rates back to earth?  Vote the bums out?  Torches and pitchforks?  Or, simply decide which ankle you're going to grab first?

Apparently, no resolution is needed. He was hoisted by his own petard.  Clearfield County is cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×