WHERE? AND WHAT? IS THIS .. CONTEST! Check it out > HERE!

GoDuBois.com
Jeff

Sandy Township Water/Sewage Bill

33 minutes ago, soccermom said:

Empty lot owners paying an access fee while not using any water, sewer or services most certainly does have an impact on what you pay.

I had a lot at Treasure Lake. I paid the assessment and the sewage fee. The sewage fee was a minor cost. I was happy when I got rid of my lot to that company that would take them if you paid the closing cost. They never paid the assessment ever again.  

Just now, Keyser Soze said:

I had a lot at Treasure Lake. I paid the assessment and the sewage fee. The sewage fee was a minor cost. I was happy when I got rid of my lot to that company that would take them if you paid the closing cost. They never paid the assessment ever again.  

That water and sewer cost is charged to way more lot owners than there are homes at TL. It is the reason water and sewer costs to homeowners are relatively low. Once again, the absent lot owners are subsidizing the property owners, while the TLPOA ponders why their revenues keep decreasing...

2 hours ago, soccermom said:

That is just terrible. This area needs to be attracting business. The land availability is mainly in Sandy Township. It's extremely foolish for both DuBois and Sandy to not get that sewage cost down. It's highly doubtful there would even be an issue with I & I in a newly constructed business. As to DuBois, they still haven't even replaced all old sewer lines within the city, and I'm sure Sandy has also not done so. You can see where the priorities lie.

DuBois tried to get the Treasure Lake system but the PUC would not let them because they would have bilked the residents there.

“Once people hear your system is up for sale, or being given away, you’re going to be getting calls,” said City Manager John “Herm” Suplizio.

After having the potential purchase revealed publicly, the council entered an immediate executive discussion about how to proceed.

City Solicitor Toni Cherry said she wanted the council, if they chose to amend the agreement back to five years, to require a right of first refusal. 

This, she explained, would require DuBois City to get the first chance at purchasing Falls Creek’s water and sewer system if they would decide to sell as planned.

“The real goal of water companies in the Commonwealth [of Pennsylvania] is the acquisition of the system of the City of DuBois,” said Cherry.

City officials are worried that a large corporation specializing in water services, namely Aqua, will use the revelation of Falls Creek’s water system being up for potential sale as an attempt to move against DuBois City.

Cherry said that part of the executive session was to seek permission to reveal DuBois City’s information regarding a failed agreement to buy Treasure Lake’s water system from Total Environmental Solutions Inc. 

It was noted that when the deal was almost complete, TESI turned around and sold to Aqua instead with TESI’s president receiving a promotion before moving to Louisiana.  Aqua, now with a connection into the city’s system, already has one potential avenue toward eventually acquiring DuBois’ water system.

“We had to sit by silently as the PUC ruled against our friends and family, as we believe,” said Cherry.

Cherry added that Aqua has former Pennsylvania Utility Commission members on its board, and she implied this gave the company an unfair influence.

“Nothing against the bigger companies, but they aren’t invested,” said Suplizio.

Both Cherry and Suplizio made points, emphasizing that local ownership of the water systems means better water while the owners also drink the water.

http://gantdaily.com/2017/03/01/water-agreement-progresses-between-dubois-city-and-falls-creek/

7 minutes ago, soccermom said:

That water and sewer cost is charged to way more lot owners than there are homes at TL. It is the reason water and sewer costs to homeowners are relatively low. Once again, the absent lot owners are subsidizing the property owners, while the TLPOA ponders why their revenues keep decreasing...

The sewer charge for a empty lot was not that much. AQUA is not getting rich from it plus the improvement in the lines will benefit the lot owner when they are ready to build. Most lots don`t pay either of the fees.

3 minutes ago, soccermom said:

Now that I did not know. Exactly how would the city have "bilked" the residents of Treasure Lake? If that's true, it sounds more like the PUC went with the corporation with connections.

Treasure Lake would be paying the exact obscene rate as Sandy pays now since they are in Sandy Township plus the city did not have the capital that AQUA has to make investments in the TL system. The PUC made the correct decision.

7 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

The sewer charge for a empty lot was not that much. AQUA is not getting rich from it plus the improvement in the lines will benefit the lot owner when they are ready to build. Most lots don`t pay either of the fees.

Let me get out my bill. The water charge is $18.24, the sewer charge is $27.18 and the Sewer improvement charge is $1.36. That is $46.78 for a lot with no improvements.  Now I believe that is for 6 months, but take that times how many lots. It is lot owners subsidizing home owners, just like the assessments.

1 hour ago, soccermom said:

Let me get out my bill. The water charge is $18.24, the sewer charge is $27.18 and the Sewer improvement charge is $1.36. That is $46.78 for a lot with no improvements.  Now I believe that is for 6 months, but take that times how many lots. It is lot owners subsidizing home owners, just like the assessments.

I knew that I would have that sewer charge when I got my lot.

. If the city would had got the Treasure Lake system they would be collecting the same amount plus they would had tried to extort more.

13 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I knew that I would have that sewer charge when I got my lot.

. If the city would had got the Treasure Lake system they would be collecting the same amount plus they would had tried to extort more.

When I got my lot, there were no sewer and water bills on empty lots, the assessments were low, and the roads and buildings were well maintained...

Going back decades ago, into the late 70's, early 80's, I recall conversations about the development of the reservoir to the point where it could conceivably supply water as far away as Indiana, PA (this was NOT the Otocsin recreational project that was under discussion around 1965).  With talk such as supplying water at that distance, it only stands to reason that the DuBois Water System would be a desirable asset.

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

With talk such as supplying water at that distance, it only stands to reason that the DuBois Water System would be a desirable asset.

Not anymore. The water belongs to the Chesapeake Bay Commission. DuBois is only allowed a certain amount. We had to cut back use during last years drought plus they added the lousy well water to keep from running out.

26 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Not anymore. The water belongs to the Chesapeake Bay Commission. DuBois is only allowed a certain amount. We had to cut back use during last years drought plus they added the lousy well water to keep from running out.

Even the portion of the watershed on the opposite side of the divide?

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Can someone explain why the reservoir is now the backup source of our water?

Browse: Home / Resources / Success Stories / City of Dubois

The City of DuBois, located in Clearfield County, operates a water system serving a population of about 19,000 customers. Though the City’s primary water source is a reservoir permitted for withdrawal of 3.0 million gallons per day, new groundwater wells are under production to supplement the water supply in times of drought. These wells are situated in part of the Marcellus Shale gas development area, and concerns with natural gas drilling have the City proactively protecting these future water sources.

dubois.gif

While the City owns the 1,300 acres surrounding the wellfield, other drilling operations outside this area may have potential impacts on the groundwater flowing to the wells. The City has begun preliminary water quality testing to measure the baseline results of the “raw” water in their watershed. “It’s important to know your watershed, and document what you have now,” says Scott Farrell, the Engineering Technician for the water system. Though the groundwater wells will not be available for production for at least a year, the monitoring results will help define the scope of treatment for the water obtained from the wells.

Currently, the reservoir is the primary source of water, but will become the backup source once the groundwater wells are online. The reservoir lies less than a mile from Interstate 80, which has been the site of pollution incidents from truck accidents. The groundwater wells are less suseptable to a contamination incident from Interstate 80. As part of its proactive efforts, DuBois is participating in the DEP’s Source Water Protection Technical Assistance Program (SWPTAP), and will develop a reservoir management plan that addresses contamination concerns.

Source: SSM GROUP INC. | Engineering and Environmental Services | www.ssmgroup.com

http://www.sourcewaterpa.org/?page_id=951

Can someone explain why the reservoir is now the backup source of our water?

Browse: Home / Resources / Success Stories / City of Dubois

The City of DuBois, located in Clearfield County, operates a water system serving a population of about 19,000 customers. Though the City’s primary water source is a reservoir permitted for withdrawal of 3.0 million gallons per day, new groundwater wells are under production to supplement the water supply in times of drought. These wells are situated in part of the Marcellus Shale gas development area, and concerns with natural gas drilling have the City proactively protecting these future water sources.

dubois.gif

While the City owns the 1,300 acres surrounding the wellfield, other drilling operations outside this area may have potential impacts on the groundwater flowing to the wells. The City has begun preliminary water quality testing to measure the baseline results of the “raw” water in their watershed. “It’s important to know your watershed, and document what you have now,” says Scott Farrell, the Engineering Technician for the water system. Though the groundwater wells will not be available for production for at least a year, the monitoring results will help define the scope of treatment for the water obtained from the wells.

Currently, the reservoir is the primary source of water, but will become the backup source once the groundwater wells are online. The reservoir lies less than a mile from Interstate 80, which has been the site of pollution incidents from truck accidents. The groundwater wells are less suseptable to a contamination incident from Interstate 80. As part of its proactive efforts, DuBois is participating in the DEP’s Source Water Protection Technical Assistance Program (SWPTAP), and will develop a reservoir management plan that addresses contamination concerns.

Source: SSM GROUP INC. | Engineering and Environmental Services | www.ssmgroup.com

http://www.sourcewaterpa.org/?page_id=951

This was a old news release. DuBois has not used the wells since last years drought. The water quality of the wells is not what they hoped for.

So where did manganese come from? I thought it was from the wells.

I was told by the city engineer  that the city was not using any well water.

DuBois, PA – After more than a week of water running yellow or brown in the City of DuBois, the water is starting to turn clear again.

City workers treated the reservoir to remove excess manganese, which was causing the discolored water.

Although the water did smell, taste and look strange, the City of DuBois said that the manganese never posed any health risks and was at a safe level to drink, cook with, and bathe in.

City Manager Herm Suplizio says that they always strive to give residents the best and clearest water possible.

They’re using the results of DEP testing to find a permanent solution to the manganese problem so it doesn’t happen again.

20 hours ago, soccermom said:

When I got my lot, there were no sewer and water bills on empty lots, the assessments were low, and the roads and buildings were well maintained...

At that time you still had a developer paying for good roads and well maintained buildings.  Those things were critical in support of their sales efforts.  When the last developer pulled out and sold their worn our, run down assets to the TLPOA the skid downhill began, accompanied by greatly increased assessments.

While the empty lot water/sewer fees could be significant, I wonder based on the POA's collection history with undeveloped lots, how much AQUA actually collects vs how much becomes bad debt.

my daughter was paying 150 plus a month for water, Living alone,. no washer  and she was working direct care which kept her away from home two full days a week, I personally believe she was paying for her water and the house that shared the lot -- but the landlord acted like she lost her mind when she asked about it, we had her turn off her toilet etc when she left the house and it was still that way, so She moved, was her only choice! -- lesson learned!  My water bill is 1/3 of what she was paying and she brings her laundry to my house!

If this community as a whole EVER wants to grow both Sandy Township and Du Bois have to form some consolidation of services. Since the township is the area with growth for business (employment) why would any company ever want to locate here with the water/sewage issue? There needs to be more working together between the two governments if they ever hope to bring some major employment companies here..

REMEMBER BMP SYSTEMS INC FOR ALL YOUR COMPUTER REPAIR NEEDS AND ALL OF YOUR OFFICE EQUIPMENT SALES, SERVICE, AND SUPPLIES!!!!

CALL ME AT 814-371-3881