GoDuBois.com

Rent A Goat

Petee

Actually hubby ran over a big exposed root and killed the mower deck, but the problem for the goats to solve is a poison ivy infested area where we had a HUGE old Ash tree cut down last January.  Of course we didn't get it cleaned up as planned before the weeds got tall, so now even weed whacking is dangerous.  Now even finishing cutting up the wood is an adventure in skin rashes.

I'm going to invest in a movable electric netting fence at the Mother Earth News Fair this weekend and then I can corral a couple of goats to clean out the area.  However, I don't want buy goats to do it.  I could Rent a Grandkid but then their parents would kill me, and they know where to find me!

Goats have to be "trained" to any type of electric fencing. They will run right over/through it if they aren't. You will also need to buy a fence charger that will deliver enough voltage to control the goats. Most net fencing will state how many stored joules are required per section. I've been raising goats for years, some will stay in an electric fence and some just don't seem to get it.

At the moment I have 3 in a woven wire fence with 2 strands of electric wire inside to keep them from climbing the wire. I have 3 others that I tie out during the day and put in the barn at night. I only tie goats when someone will be around to keep an eye on them. They are used to being tied and seldom get tangled but stray dogs and coyotes will make short work of a goat.

There's a huge tree in the middle of the mess.  We need to cut it up for firewood and tear down an old shed in the same mess, but no one is willing to brave the Poison Ivy.  I won't spray and I've bundled up and weed whacked but it grows faster than I can deal with it.  

I'm willing to try the goat solution if I find small goats that I can keep corralled.  Otherwise, we may have to wait for a big frost and be very careful as we clean it all up.  I've sworn off steroids for the rest of my life...... I hope.

Have you tried spraying with vinegar? ( 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water and 2 teaspoons dawn dishwashing detergent).The problem with this is that this mixture will kill everything it touches, but if you want to knock out the green part without waiting for a frost, it does work. You still have to dig out the roots though or it comes back. 

Normally I do use a mixture like that down at Charlies but not this year because we have such a mess going on this spring.  It works best on new tender foliage or after you've removed the top of the plant.  It would never touch this tall old mess around the tree.  

I'll probably start weed whacking it tomorrow.

On our way home today I saw a weird animal way ahead on the road.  When we got closer I realized it was a Boer Goat and it's buddy.  They had collars and were males so I didn't stop and load them into the van! :rolleyes:  They stink.