WHERE? AND WHAT? IS THIS .. CONTEST! Check it out > HERE!
 

Jump to content
GoDuBois.com
pwacm

Possible roundabout coming to DuBois.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, gopsu said:

That track is TOO big. It's by far the worst track to see a race in person. You can see about half of the track.

It's by far the worst to see on television, too. I can't stand to watch the finish of a race with three cars on the lead lap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At first I didn't like the idea ..... but after thing about it ..... a roundabout sound like it might be  a lot of fun    :)

Note to Self .....   Go to Stoltz motors ..... Take new Dodge Charger for a test drive   :Cool_049:

 

 


Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.........

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hipower said:

Yes it sucks, but it's our very own triangle. 

Mid 80's through late 90's a crapload of us used to go - rented a house, stay Friday through Sunday, hit all the bars and have a general good time.  The Sunday race was viewed as Penance for having a really good time.

Alas, someone said lets brings wives or girlfriends next year and we did.  The annual trip we all looked so forward to, promptly ended.


The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traffic circles make a lot of sense at intersections with moderate traffic density and roughly equal distribution from all directions.  Traffic lights make sense at intersections with heavy traffic density and/or unequal distribution of the traffic.  Jughandles (they use them in the Jerseys) make a lot of sense when left turns cause a lot of traffic congestion.  Truthfully, and I will admit that it has been a year since I've been in DuBois, I don't see that intersection having the volume of traffic to justify the expense and disruption of building one.  Thus, it sounds to me as if there is another agenda in play.


Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Mid 80's through late 90's a crapload of us used to go - rented a house, stay Friday through Sunday, hit all the bars and have a general good time.  The Sunday race was viewed as Penance for having a really good time.

Alas, someone said lets brings wives or girlfriends next year and we did.  The annual trip we all looked so forward to, promptly ended.

We used to go twice a year in the RV's.  Did the infield party thing from Friday night to Sunday and then dragged our butts home to go to work Monday morning.  One trip was all guys the other was family.  Similar results, it wore out and we all got older and struggled harder to go to work on Monday, among other things, which will be left for you to decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_rx2000 said:

Traffic circles make a lot of sense at intersections with moderate traffic density and roughly equal distribution from all directions.  Traffic lights make sense at intersections with heavy traffic density and/or unequal distribution of the traffic.  Jughandles (they use them in the Jerseys) make a lot of sense when left turns cause a lot of traffic congestion.  Truthfully, and I will admit that it has been a year since I've been in DuBois, I don't see that intersection having the volume of traffic to justify the expense and disruption of building one.  Thus, it sounds to me as if there is another agenda in play.

Wow Bob.  Such a reasonable post.  I can't believe anyone would think there was any hidden agenda motives coming from city hall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hipower said:

We used to go twice a year in the RV's.  Did the infield party thing from Friday night to Sunday and then dragged our butts home to go to work Monday morning.  One trip was all guys the other was family.  Similar results, it wore out and we all got older and struggled harder to go to work on Monday, among other things, which will be left for you to decide.

We stayed a Sunday night once - the entire area was like a morgue after 7:00 PM!  No fun....


The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hipower said:

Wow Bob.  Such a reasonable post.  I can't believe anyone would think there was any hidden agenda motives coming from city hall.

Never in DuBois!


The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Mid 80's through late 90's a crapload of us used to go - rented a house, stay Friday through Sunday, hit all the bars and have a general good time.  The Sunday race was viewed as Penance for having a really good time.

Alas, someone said lets brings wives or girlfriends next year and we did.  The annual trip we all looked so forward to, promptly ended.

That was the heyday of NASCAR here, too. 3 things killed it: Earnhardt died, the Chase, and Yankee drivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LFG said:

That was the heyday of NASCAR here, too. 3 things killed it: Earnhardt died, the Chase, and Yankee drivers

We were there the day Earnhardt got killed.  It was a sad day for many fans and the sport in general, although I can't say it impact on me personally changed my love for motorsports in general and NASCAR in particular.  We attended our 25th Daytona 500 in February and have decided it was our last, unless something dramatic changes.  Having followed racing since about 1959-60 when I started racing quarter midgets and go karts, progressing through the years to dirt track late models, my interest runs deep.

This summer I've been to six dirt track events, late models, modifieds and sprint cars, and can say that I have enjoyed them all.  It's easy to say I can feed my racing desires just as easy and far cheaper than following NASCAR.  Just too many things have changed over the last few years for me to maintain my interest as before,.  I'll still watch on TV as time allows, but won't worry if I miss a race or plan my weekends around racing.  Speedweeks in Florida has a lot more good racing at New Smyrna and Volusia to feed my winter fix for a lot less money than at Daytona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hipower said:

We were there the day Earnhardt got killed.  It was a sad day for many fans and the sport in general, although I can't say it impact on me personally changed my love for motorsports in general and NASCAR in particular.  We attended our 25th Daytona 500 in February and have decided it was our last, unless something dramatic changes.  Having followed racing since about 1959-60 when I started racing quarter midgets and go karts, progressing through the years to dirt track late models, my interest runs deep.

This summer I've been to six dirt track events, late models, modifieds and sprint cars, and can say that I have enjoyed them all.  It's easy to say I can feed my racing desires just as easy and far cheaper than following NASCAR.  Just too many things have changed over the last few years for me to maintain my interest as before,.  I'll still watch on TV as time allows, but won't worry if I miss a race or plan my weekends around racing.  Speedweeks in Florida has a lot more good racing at New Smyrna and Volusia to feed my winter fix for a lot less money than at Daytona.

Earnhardt was a shock, but didn't affect me that much. My wife cried. Seriously, down here that was the equivalent of Princess Diana's death.

Car changes, formatting, the Chase, even dropping the Winston sponsorship, all of that has changed what NASCAR was to me. I was serious about the Yankee drivers, too. Seems like the 80s and 90s were still in touch with the shine runners that started it all. Now it's more like Indy or Formula 1, drivers that have been groomed to drive a race car all of their lives. Even you guys have to admit that todays little bratty word exchanges between spoiled Yankees can't hold a candle to two rednecks trying to kill each other in the infield on a final lap brawl :good:

Image result for yarborough allison fight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things changed it for me:  first was changing the name from "Winston Cup" and the second when my hero (Harry Gant) hung up his helmet!


The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NikonSniper said:

Sorry these are real race cars that actually race and not follow each other around.......

img.php-400x0-upload-articlephoto-cphoto

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRebcdK3wmsh3LLKTpG80M

CK1xyLcUkAAU1F2.jpg

I was waiting for that :funny4:

I'm more of a road race fan. SCCA, NASCAR, F1, doesn't matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Interesting how this shifted to an auto racing discussion.  Auto racing and a roundabout...same-same.  Bunch of cars going in circles.

Not necessarily an auto thing!  I would love to take my dirt bike on a roundabout to see how fast I could get through it.


The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the Yankee drivers (never knew the Mid-West and West Coast which is where most of the recent champions came from was considered Yankee Territory) invading NASBORE i'm guessing that's because you Rebels run out of talent so the Rebel NASBORE car owners had to hire drivers that could get'er done on the track. :P

F-1 racing??!! I can count on one hand how many passes for the lead has come on the track in the last 15 years. That's like going down to your local railroad crossing and watching trains.....:surrender::sleep:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NikonSniper said:

As far as the Yankee drivers (never knew the Mid-West and West Coast which is where most of the recent champions came from was considered Yankee Territory) invading NASBORE i'm guessing that's because you Rebels run out of talent so the Rebel NASBORE car owners had to hire drivers that could get'er done on the track. :P

F-1 racing??!! I can count on one hand how many passes for the lead has come on the track in the last 15 years. That's like going down to your local railroad crossing and watching trains.....:surrender::sleep:

You have to understand what the SC definition of Yankee is. North of the Manson Nixon line and west of the Mississippi. In other words, if you sound like the people on TV you're a Yankee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Not necessarily an auto thing!  I would love to take my dirt bike on a roundabout to see how fast I could get through it.

Rice burner, right? As long as you don't get it off the ground you should be OK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Interesting how this shifted to an auto racing discussion.  Auto racing and a roundabout...same-same.  Bunch of cars going in circles.

You want to see a veer off topic? Take Steve's offer and join the debate forum :funny4:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LFG said:

You want to see a veer off topic? Take Steve's offer and join the debate forum :funny4:

No.  I'm saving myself from myself.  I can become too opinionated and then my pits get sweaty.  Sweaty pits evolve into crusty shirts and that's not good for anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cacao said:

No.  I'm saving myself from myself.  I can become too opinionated and then my pits get sweaty.  Sweaty pits evolve into crusty shirts and that's not good for anyone.

Thats what's great about the debate forum, no opinions. It's all facts :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LFG said:

Rice burner, right? As long as you don't get it off the ground you should be OK

Four stroke Honda.  Also have a Harley.....but my days on motorcycles are behind me.  Too many bad drivers, and I don't want to shorten my years!


The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×