WHERE? AND WHAT? IS THIS .. CONTEST! Check it out > HERE!
 

Jump to content
GoDuBois.com
BillyC

Kohlhepp True Value

Recommended Posts

The last few times i've been in there i noticed that the shelves seemed way emptier than usual. I just heard today that they are going to now be an Ace Hardware. Have not heard yet if the stone center or Just Ask rental is still going to be there. 


"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it will be easier for the family and bring in customers, then good!


"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I love Kohlhepps. I go there over Lowe's for a lot of stuff. I'm sure Ace Hardware will change the nice atmosphere.

When I visit my mother she always a few repairs that need done that cause some hardware store runs.  There are three Ace Hardware stores within about a 10 mile radius of her and I've used all of them numerous times.  They are generally smaller than Kohlhepp's and much more personal than the big box stores like Lowe's and Hope Depot which are also within that same distance from her house.  If this story is true and our local hardware becomes an ACE the difference will be minimal.  Signage and private label items will change, but the core products will be similar if not the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hipower said:

When I visit my mother she always a few repairs that need done that cause some hardware store runs.  There are three Ace Hardware stores within about a 10 mile radius of her and I've used all of them numerous times.  They are generally smaller than Kohlhepp's and much more personal than the big box stores like Lowe's and Hope Depot which are also within that same distance from her house.  If this story is true and our local hardware becomes an ACE the difference will be minimal.  Signage and private label items will change, but the core products will be similar if not the same.

Burke's in St Marys went from a TV to an ACE and I see no real difference between the two. The first time I noticed the switch was when I was trying to shop a TV sale there. :rolleyes:


    When someone shows you their true colors, don't try to repaint them.Rainbow_Striped_Spinning_Star_by_zk29_yt


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hipower said:

When I visit my mother she always a few repairs that need done that cause some hardware store runs.  There are three Ace Hardware stores within about a 10 mile radius of her and I've used all of them numerous times.  They are generally smaller than Kohlhepp's and much more personal than the big box stores like Lowe's and Hope Depot which are also within that same distance from her house.  If this story is true and our local hardware becomes an ACE the difference will be minimal.  Signage and private label items will change, but the core products will be similar if not the same.

Thanks. Well thats good to know. I honestly have not been to one. I thought it was a big chain and would ruin the feel of the smaller store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sapphire said:

Burke's in St Marys went from a TV to an ACE and I see no real difference between the two. The first time I noticed the switch was when I was trying to shop a TV sale there. :rolleyes:

I love Burkes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have shopped at Kolhepps many times over the last 40 years.  At Christmas time I knew I could go in there and find several gifts I needed.The kitchen and appliance area was always chock full of good products and good buys.  I enjoyed the personal service and just liked to shop the store.  I  always found something I wanted or needed!  If I could not find it......they were right there to offer assistance.  Kolhepps had almost everything you would need......little screws and bolts and things you couldn't find anywhere else!!! The paint they sold was second to none and used it many times in my home inside and outside.  I noticed over the past year that the inventory was dwindling and the feel of the store was different.  When a family name is attached to a business it means a lot. It means  "pride" in ownership and pride in how they serve you. However things change as time marches on........if ACE comes in and keeps the people in place it will be okay. I have never been to an ACE Hardware....so I look forward to the change.  Change is good sometimes........let's think positive and embrace it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hipower said:

Makes the point doesn't it?  You've apparently been to an ACE and didn't even know it.  :lol: 

The one in St Marys..its an Ace? Really? I never even paid attention. I'm glad my husband doesnt get on here. I'd never live that down lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

The one in St Marys..its an Ace? Really? I never even paid attention. I'm glad my husband doesnt get on here. I'd never live that down lol

Yes, yes it is and it's not a recent thing either. ;)


    When someone shows you their true colors, don't try to repaint them.Rainbow_Striped_Spinning_Star_by_zk29_yt


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I love Kohlhepps. I go there over Lowe's for a lot of stuff. I'm sure Ace Hardware will change the nice atmosphere.

We love Kohlepps's too. There is always someone friendly and asking if they can help. Hubby is an all around fix it guy and he finds that soooo many hardware items are much less that Lowe's prices. Nothing against Lowe's, but it's true. I miss their kitchen utensil, gadget area. I could always find things there that I'd never seen elsewhere. And back when our son was young, I bought the majority of his Christmas gifts there. Good prices and many times interesting toys that I never saw at other locations. 


 

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

 

-- Jack Lambert --

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steelnut said:

We love Kohlepps's too. There is always someone friendly and asking if they can help. Hubby is an all around fix it guy and he finds that soooo many hardware items are much less that Lowe's prices. Nothing against Lowe's, but it's true. I miss their kitchen utensil, gadget area. I could always find things there that I'd never seen elsewhere. And back when our son was young, I bought the majority of his Christmas gifts there. Good prices and many times interesting toys that I never saw at other locations. 

I like the True Value in Philipsburg. We find things there that you can't find at other places. Another plus is their Christmas store. I will be stopping in next Tuesday!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the nice thing about Ace and True Value, they let the personality of the owners shine through, unlike cookie cutter stores. I never remember saying, "I am going to True Value;" We always said, "We're going to Kohlhepps." As long as the family is still involved, this will be a great store to go to...you might just have a different bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jake said:

That's the nice thing about Ace and True Value, they let the personality of the owners shine through, unlike cookie cutter stores. I never remember saying, "I am going to True Value;" We always said, "We're going to Kohlhepps." As long as the family is still involved, this will be a great store to go to...you might just have a different bag.

It's interesting reading this thread, we had this exact scenario last year. A local family owned hardware that had been there for years sold to Ace. It was a huge hardware store, and sounded like what you guys are describing, you could even buy Christmas gifts there. The only things I have seen changed since Ace took over were improvements. The family and staff stayed the same, and Ace stocks some higher end merchandise than the family did before. Weber grills and Green Egg smokers, Yeti coolers, etc... I've been happy with the change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a locally owned Ace hardware store about 3-4 miles from my house, which is closer than the nearest Lowes at 8 miles plus I don't have to go into Michigan.  The family that runs this place does a great job and I prefer going there over any of the big boxes for those things they carry.  I hope that Kohlhepp's carries on in fine fashion.


Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×