GoDuBois.com

Bagged Leaves

Petee

If anyone has bagged leaves to pick up, or if you want to dump them and keep the bags, please let me know.  I am looking for a large amount of leaves.  371-3322

I may be able to return a bag of compost to you in the spring if you let me know.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

If anyone has bagged leaves to pick up, or if you want to dump them and keep the bags, please let me know.  I am looking for a large amount of leaves.  371-3322

I may be able to return a bag of compost to you in the spring if you let me know.

I have quite a few bags of leaves that I am not sure what to do with , and I really don't want to see them go to a landfill . So you are more than welcomed to them. I will give you a call later on for directions. Thanks

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Thank you to Bigfoot who brought out leaves the other night.  They will degrade in place and become part of a specific compost I am hoping to develop in the spring.  Anyone else?

No problem , I will probably have more in a week or two. There are a couple of trees with leaves still left on them that I'm hoping will fall before snow arrives

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 12:49 PM, Petee said:

Great!!  It's an absolute shame when our country tosses leaves into a landfill.  They are one of our most precious natural soil builders.

Large Class 3 landfills like mine aren't allowed to accept any kind of yard debris, leaves, limbs, stumps, etc... The intent is to encourage recycling. C&D landfills can take yard waste, but many of them have their own mulching stations set up, and will give the mulch away.

That was a great idea to ask for leaves, with all of my chickens I don't know what I would do without leaves. Have you looked under "free stuff" on Craigslist? This time of year I can usually find a few people giving away bagged leaves.

Good luck :)

I've never looked in Craig's List but I can.  Supposedly the local leaves now to go the landfill.  What would they be doing with them?  They used to haul them to different farmers who gave them out to people, but not anymore.

Punxsutawney (home of the Groundhog) has a special location to which all kinds of recyclables are taken, stone, soil, branches, leaves, etc.  Anyone can make an appointment for pick up and they load it with a front end loader free of charge.  Doesn't that sound preferable to taking that stuff to a landfill?

4 hours ago, Petee said:

I've never looked in Craig's List but I can.  Supposedly the local leaves now to go the landfill.  What would they be doing with them?  They used to haul them to different farmers who gave them out to people, but not anymore.

Punxsutawney (home of the Groundhog) has a special location to which all kinds of recyclables are taken, stone, soil, branches, leaves, etc.  Anyone can make an appointment for pick up and they load it with a front end loader free of charge.  Doesn't that sound preferable to taking that stuff to a landfill?

I wouldn't think leaves go to Greentree, it's in the federal regulations that yard waste is not to be accepted by a class 3 landfill. Is there a smaller landfill near town? Some class 3 landfills will have a smaller C&D landfill on the same site, but not attached to the lined landfill, that could be the case there. I don't know what PA regulations would be on composting.

That will be the next evolution in landfills, separating and recycling waste streams. Some places do it now, but it's not profitable. I expect the federal government to make it a law one day. One coastal landfill here in SC composts all food waste, which is then used to cover the landfill when it looks like dirt. Landfills are a finite space, and it's getting harder and harder to get new landfills permitted. I think that one day recycling won't be a choice, it will be a necessity. Until you spend time in one of these large landfills, you can't imagine how quickly they grow

40 minutes ago, Petee said:

Do landfills ever do tours?

Yes, Advanced takes all of the leaves, but if they will risk and employee's life, why would they refuse leaves?  

Yes, landfills do tours. It's a big part of trying to keep the neighboring communities involved.   We try to do at least one a year