ALL MEMBERS OF THE OLD CLASSIFIEDS WILL HAVE TO RE-REGISTER TO POST ADS HERE  >> REGISTER HERE

GoDuBois.com
mr.d

Diner Creates 'Teen Tax' For Bad Tipping, Parents Are Outraged

58 minutes ago, Jeff said:

One question I have is who lets their 11 year old go to a diner? What if this place had a policy of no minors allowed without a adult?

Possible they have an after school sporting event, band or some other group or club, and go to the diner to get something to eat beforehand. Kids from the middle school in DuBois walk to Sheetz, Martins, or Valley Dairy. I see groups of them going in uniforms. 

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Is it legal for restaurants to include mandatory tip?

A. Perhaps some servers might wish they were illegal, but, no, restaurants are still free to add a mandatory fee if they wish. The only thing that changed on Jan. 1, 2014, was how the Internal Revenue Service classified the charge and how restaurants handle their bookkeeping.

The change actually came in June 2012, when the IRS issued Revenue Ruling 2012-18, which said that the mandatory extra fee restaurants often add to large parties is not a “tip” at all. A tip, it ruled, must be voluntary in every sense of the word. Customers must feel free to leave any amount they choose — or nothing at all. Instead, such mandatory add-ons are a “service charge,” a fee that must be paid if a customer wants to leave the restaurant without handcuffs.

Or just hit them with a brick. 

6 hours ago, soccermom said:

Possible they have an after school sporting event, band or some other group or club, and go to the diner to get something to eat beforehand. Kids from the middle school in DuBois walk to Sheetz, Martins, or Valley Dairy. I see groups of them going in uniforms. 

Yes, this is normal. My daughter does this with a group. I did this as a kid back in the day. It's really no different than an 11 y/o walking home from the middle school to their home (which may be downtown). I'd rather they be in a group for safety reasons than walking by themselves. 

14 hours ago, Jeff said:

One question I have is who lets their 11 year old go to a diner? What if this place had a policy of no minors allowed without a adult?

I agree. 11 is too young to be hanging out in a diner. I don't think calling grades 4-7 'middle school' makes these kids mature enough to do so. 

I wouldn't want to deal with 20-30 11 year olds every week and I would stop going to a diner that was filled with unattended kids. 

If you don't like the policies, don't go.  My guess is he'll get back other customers if the children do stop going there.  

Okay kids may not be the greatest tippers.  20-30 kids come in to get something to eat and drink. Say they spend at least $5 each, this is between  $100 to $150 that the restaurant would not have made if the kids had not went there. And some tip and some don't, how many kids think to tip.

13 hours ago, momtothree said:

I agree. 11 is too young to be hanging out in a diner. I don't think calling grades 4-7 'middle school' makes these kids mature enough to do so. 

I wouldn't want to deal with 20-30 11 year olds every week and I would stop going to a diner that was filled with unattended kids. 

If you don't like the policies, don't go.  My guess is he'll get back other customers if the children do stop going there.  

Not that it makes much difference but in DuBois middle school is 6-8th grade.