2018 KIWANIS COUPON BOOK >>> GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT >> HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Cacao

Addicted Towns of Pennsylvania

The Harrisburg newspaper is doing a week long piece on the opioid epidemic across several small towns in PA.  So far, it's been a fantastic 360 look into the crisis and how an entire community is affected.  I find it informative.  If you have the time, I recommend giving it a look.

http://www.pennlive.com/opioid-crisis/2017/11/there_are_more_drug_dealers_th.html#incart_election

To be honest, I am tired of news reports that blame such savagery and violence on drugs and the loss of the manufacturing base. 

We continually see horror stories on the pages of this forum of women who leave their children with violent men who aren't their husbands. This woman chose to put her son in the care of a man who could offer nothing but a hotel room, violence and drugs. She also chose to have another baby with this creature. That is pure evil.  

That the area lost it's manufacturing base is just an excuse. There are jobs available for people who want to work hard. No one is forcing these monsters to live drugged out and on the dole.

Another question is, why are our county child services departments not removing these children from danger? 

100% agreement!  There are jobs here begging for good employees but they are not to be found.  If there's a job crisis here, and we've lost the industry base, it's because there aren't enough laborers to man them.

With the children, where would you put them if they were taken away?  Shall we go the Children's Home again......bigger, better?  Where do you find excellent employees and funds for that?

How about a morality check and teaching people how valuable and rewarding a drug free, hard working and disciplined life is without excessive TV, Phones, life in a car or on the road, doing whatever appeals to them at the time.  

Life for the children would change too.  The problem is the adults who do not teach or discipline properly.  We have to open doors that will ensnare children into a good life they refuse to lose or give away to drugs and immorality.  Adults must BE the change.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Yes, jobs are there for the taking.  Are they good paying jobs?  Do I need 2 or 3 of them to survive?  I think this author is correlating the increase of depression is driven by the loss of good paying jobs.  It's more economical for potential employees, in some cases, to not work and file for Gov't assistance.  Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

Overall, there are numerous causals to the opioid epidemic and, I believe, it starts with the doctor's/pharmacists/drug companies.

1 hour ago, Cacao said:

Yes, jobs are there for the taking.  Are they good paying jobs?  Do I need 2 or 3 of them to survive?  I think this author is correlating the increase of depression is driven by the loss of good paying jobs.  It's more economical for potential employees, in some cases, to not work and file for Gov't assistance.  Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

Overall, there are numerous causals to the opioid epidemic and, I believe, it starts with the doctor's/pharmacists/drug companies.

Oh BS. There are plenty of men on this forum who have good paying jobs without a college degree. It takes hard work, not expecting the government to take care of you.

As to being more economical to not work and file for government assistance, BINGO!  Let's ask our elected representatives why that is.

People murdering babies is evil. They should not be allowed to use drugs as an excuse.

Brookville Wood Products had a banner out a few months ago.  If I remember correctly it was $14 an hour, benefits, full time.  DuBois Logistics hires on a regular basis but not many people stay.  The pay and benefits are good for our area.  Where are the reliable employees?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Our union pays for training to become a mason....hard and heavy work but there is a pile of it going on in st collage right now.....after training they start out 50% pay rate, which is more than the $14  amount.....random drug tests and some travel involved....health care, pensions, annuity fund....get a tan while making money;)

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

I've seen $14 twice now. You do realize that is  $29,000 annual gross. A family cannot live on that in 2017.

I have to think the soul crushing despair of living in a depressed area where having a "good job" means destroying your body just to hover above the poverty line contributes to drug and alcohol use in towns like DuBois.

2 minutes ago, opal said:

I've seen $14 twice now. You do realize that is  $29,000 annual gross. A family cannot live on that in 2017.

I have to think the soul crushing despair of living in a depressed area where having a "good job" means destroying your body just to hover above the poverty line contributes to drug and alcohol use in towns like DuBois.

Yes they absolutely can. The people I work with make that and less and lots of them are single families and make it just fine. Don't rack up a ton of debt or live above ur means and u can be comfortable on that. 

9 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

Yes they absolutely can. The people I work with make that and less and lots of them are single families and make it just fine. Don't rack up a ton of debt or live above ur means and u can be comfortable on that. 

Baloney. They may be able to pay the regular bills on time every month, but there will not be money for an extended hospital stay or to replace a vehicle that finally died or to bury a loved ones.  Families in that income bracket qualify for LIHEAP and CHIP and all the socially acceptable forms of welfare precisely because it's not enough.

And they certainly aren't saving for college for their kids or retirement, which means someone will have to pay for that down the line too.

Wow..just wow. I will be sure to pass along to some of my co workers  tomorrow that according to you they are welfare rats and they need to quit paying for the Blue Cross parent child plan and to quit having a % of their pay go into their 401k because u say they can't do that. Again wow!! :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, opal said:

Baloney. They may be able to pay the regular bills on time every month, but there will not be money for an extended hospital stay or to replace a vehicle that finally died or to bury a loved ones.  Families in that income bracket qualify for LIHEAP and CHIP and all the socially acceptable forms of welfare precisely because it's not enough.

And they certainly aren't saving for college for their kids or retirement, which means someone will have to pay for that down the line too.

It's all about living within your means.  I know folks making that who can pay their bills and save for emergencies and college  and I know folks making more than double that who can't.

People can overspend in any income bracket and they do it everyday.  I'm sick of hearing that it's lack of jobs or pay. It's choice. 

$14 an hour is relatively good for a small town family unless they have bad habits, lots of kids, excessive bills or special needs which can receive assistance from government support.

How do you think that many of us survived on less than that at times?  It's about "making do" and keeping your needs ahead of your wants.

Albert Einstein

A great philosopher once said, "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems".  It's all relative anyhows.  Jobs of any kind/pay will not solve the drug problem.  Yes, it will help some, but it's not the strongest resolution (as I see it).  I believe the strongest combatant is communication.  Communication between doctor & patient.  Communication between family and friends.  Communication as a community...like we're doing here.

11 hours ago, opal said:

So if you aren't college educated you live off welfare? Pretty bold statement right there!

REMEMBER BMP SYSTEMS INC FOR ALL YOUR COMPUTER REPAIR NEEDS AND ALL OF YOUR OFFICE EQUIPMENT SALES, SERVICE, AND SUPPLIES!!!!

CALL ME AT 814-371-3881

My 18 year old granddaughter was in a serious car accident in September.  She was critical for days, and she will not walk again on her own till about March.  Till then she is in a wheelchair.

She worked for about that amount, supported herself, and was happy.  The company she worked for provided insurance which made ALL the difference.  Her demolished car had been fraudulently insured,  she lost her apartment but her parents came to the rescue with their home , she was able to leave the hospital weeks early because of her Mother's nursing skills, she has no bad habits to support and didn't get herself into deep debt.  She does not need government assistance although she is eligible. Our family can survive.

Survival is about not incurring unnecessary debt, not having bad habits like drinking, drugs, excessive phones, and itchy feet.  She and her family have great work ethics, they know not to be roadrunners (as my Mother called them) and their own personal interests, skills, family and ethical friends are their entertainment.  She is surviving on nothing at the moment so $14 an hour plus benefits is a dream for her.  That's how you survive.  You make do and worry about the needs.  The wants are now something to work for in the future but the survival mode will continue even then,  Waste not, want not.

Too many people simply incur more excessive wants when they have more money and STILL have trouble making ends meet.

Albert Einstein

16 hours ago, opal said:

You can't figure that at 40 hours/week. Down here, $14-15 is a fairly common starting wage, and most of those jobs are 50+ hours. We figure an average of 55 hours in our budgets. That's 45,500 per year, which is definitely a livable wage. I have a few operators that almost equal me in weekly wages, but I work less hours.

Our company has fantastic insurance, 401K match, etc... that takes away a lot of the burden of doctor's bills and saving for the future, but we still have a hard time finding people that are willing to work at a less than glamorous job, or that can pass the drug screen

BTW, I dropped out of college after one semester, started my construction career on a shovel for minimum wage, and I make very decent money 27 years later. Showing up on time every day and keeping your nose clean is 90% of that, I have no patience for excuses

I can tell that you never felt entitled to excess.  Fantastic~

Albert Einstein

Did ya happen to read the story associated with today's (11/15) POTD!? 

That girl is amazing!  First year EVER running cross-country and she placed in top 3 in each race.  That's impressive in itself.  However, she was a heroin addict and grew up hitchhiking and train hopping across the country.  She turned her life around thanks to a golden gloves boxing doctor.  Now, she's at PSUD studying to be a Physical Therapist.  Her life should be a movie.   http://dubois.psu.edu/story/2784/2017/11/13/addiction-victory-inspirational-run-athlete-year

What that doctor did is how you eliminate the opioid epidemic, you love your neighbor and extend your hand/heart.  BOOM!