ALL MEMBERS OF THE OLD CLASSIFIEDS WILL HAVE TO RE-REGISTER TO POST ADS HERE  >> REGISTER HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Florida Man Fights Eviction Over 'Emotional Support Squirrel'

Florida man fights eviction over 'emotional support squirrel'

A Florida man has been served with an eviction notice over his emotional support squirrel.

Ryan Boylan, 40, of Clearwater, says he needs Brutis to deal with anxiety from a long ago car accident but Island Walk Condominiums says the squirrel needs to vacate the premises because she is putting other residents at risk.

"There's absolutely no way I would give her up. I'm not sure how an animal that weighs less than two pounds can harm anybody,” he told WFTS-TV.

Squirrel Split

Ryan Boylan claims his squirrel Brutis is a support animal for his PTSD.

Boylan told the station he fell in love with Brutis after nursing her back to health after Hurricane Matthew more than a year ago. The squirrel has the run of Boylan’s apartment. One of her perches is the ceiling fan.

The condo board found out about Brutis in April when a dog chased the squirrel up a tree, WFLA-TV reported Friday.

Boyland was served with eviction papers last month.

The complaint says Boylan never submitted paperwork claiming Brutis was an emotional support animal until this past summer, according to the station.

Boylan says his doctor gave him a note for the squirrel in July “due to his emotional disability.”

In response to a discrimination complaint from Boylan, the Florida Office of Human Rights sent the condo board a letter saying that emotional support animals were protected under the Fair Housing Act, the station reported.

“It’s just like with any animal, you can have the nicest dog and they could bite somebody, it’s no guarantee,” Sherry Arfa, a former condo board member, told WFLA. “If it was a gerbil or something that your grandkid had hiding under the bed, I’m sure that would be fine. But a squirrel is a wild animal.”

In Florida, a "service animal" is defined as one that is "trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual or other mental disability."

Parts of the law, including bringing service animals to public areas and guaranteeing people with disabilities equal rights limit the defining to "to a dog or miniature horse."                                                         SEE VIDEO REPORT ;   http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/14/florida-man-in-desperate-struggle-to-save-his-emotional-support-squirrel-from-eviction.html

I'm not attempting to trivialize the need for an emotional support anything, but isn't this just a step above a security blanket or teddy bear when you get to the heart of it?  

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

4 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

I'm not attempting to trivialize the need for an emotional support anything, but isn't this just a step above a security blanket or teddy bear when you get to the heart of it?  

Yep.  Cigarettes and alcohol, prescription drugs, guns, and organized religion may also fall into the category of emotional support. 

54 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

Kind of. A security blanket or teddy bear is inanimate though. They can't snuggle you back and some people need to take care of another living being to cope,  if that makes sense. It gives [some of] them a sense of purpose, they're needed by a living creature and [for some] it gives them a reason to live. Animals can love you back,  teddy bears not so much.

(In some of the other forums I visit,  people have posted about getting a pet to help cope with their depression. One guy got a puppy and he phrased it like "even if I'm in an awful state of mind,  Fluffy (not the dog's real name) still needs me to get up, take care of him and take him for a walk. So instead of hiding in bed,  I take care of my little friend." Again, this isn't everyone who has a support animal,  but some.)

:dancer: You must be the change you wish to see in the world- Ghandi :dancer:

How about the dog that chased the squirrel up the tree?  I'd rather be bitten by the squirrel.....less chance of that.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Georgie_girl said:

Kind of. A security blanket or teddy bear is inanimate though. They can't snuggle you back and some people need to take care of another living being to cope,  if that makes sense. It gives [some of] them a sense of purpose, they're needed by a living creature and [for some] it gives them a reason to live. Animals can love you back,  teddy bears not so much.

(In some of the other forums I visit,  people have posted about getting a pet to help cope with their depression. One guy got a puppy and he phrased it like "even if I'm in an awful state of mind,  Fluffy (not the dog's real name) still needs me to get up, take care of him and take him for a walk. So instead of hiding in bed,  I take care of my little friend." Again, this isn't everyone who has a support animal,  but some.)

Your last paragraph...i never thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing.

I've seen this issue with self proclaimed support animals really take off.

He didn't need a support animal all these years, gets a note after he gets eviction notice. I don't buy it. Is it discrimination for a Dr to not write a note? 

I had a local Wal-Mart employee tell me he can bring his emotional support dog in any store and No one can question it.  No paperwork needed. Yet, he's ok going to work for 9 hours without it? Seriously. 

Lots of people ruining this for families with legitimate, well trained and expensive support animals. 

I really hate to say this but the whole process of permissions need some regulation.  Apparently you can get some sort of a "jacket" on the internet to make your dog look like an official support animal.  How would anyone know which animals are helpful trained companions and which are simply nice for the owner to hug?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

My wife and I say all the time that our Boston Terrier should qualify. Who would you rather sit beside in a restaurant, a table full of screaming kids or a well behaved young lady who stays in her seat and waits to be fed?

I really don't know how good they are at "emotional support " .... BUT .... I can tell you that with some salt & pepper , a little onion

and just a pinch of Mrs. Dash they can be pretty tasty .......... just add a potato or two and a vegie and you have a complete meal .......

Taste like chicken  ........

fried squirrel dinner.jpg

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.........

"Boylan rescued the squirrel during Hurricane Matthew in 2016 when she was stuck under a car, and since then, he has grown attached to her. He was in a car accident in 2004, which he claims left him with anxiety, herniated discs in his back and PTSD, hence the need for a support pet. His doctor even wrote him a prescription for Brutis."

So, he was fine from 2004 until he rescued this little creature in 2016. Perhaps he doesn't need the creature as badly as she needs him?

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

Apparently it started in 2004, and continued till he found the squirrel.  Hey, if it helps him, it helps him.  I'd consider a dog to be more of a problem.

Albert Einstein