2018 KIWANIS COUPON BOOK >>> GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT >> HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Petee

Air Fryer Suggestions

Suggestions from those of you who have used one.  I only cook for 2-3 people and don't want anything with all the bells and whistles, just a smaller one for a few pieces of whatever.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

12 hours ago, Petee said:

Suggestions from those of you who have used one.  I only cook for 2-3 people and don't want anything with all the bells and whistles, just a smaller one for a few pieces of whatever.

The Cooks Essentials 2.5QT.    Not too big.  Basic. I got my on "Black Thanksgiving" at JC Penney.

Are they just a click and fry?  I don't want something that you can do 14 different functions in.  Hubby and family are waiting for a specific brand or any details in different models before they go on a shopping rampage.

I did find a cheap rice cooker today, with a keep warm function, (of course the one I had in storage only had a timer) in which to  do my black garlic.  A sweetie on here this spring made some and shared it.  I have two small cloves left and need more!  This time I will share with anyone who wants to try it, but it will be almost 40 days from tomorrow.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

You preheat them, then cook the food.  The booklet that comes with it will give you temp and amount of time for each item you want to cook.  Ours also came with a little recipe book.  Mine is pretty straightforward, but you do have look up to see what temp/time to cook stuff at. 

Ok, so this is totally the opposite of what you asked for, but I have to recommend the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven. "Fry's" things perfectly with no oil, toasts whatever you want and also works as a convection oven big enough to roast a whole chicken. 

Petee  what kind of rice cooker did you get and where?

2 hours ago, Petee said:

Are they just a click and fry?  I don't want something that you can do 14 different functions in.  Hubby and family are waiting for a specific brand or any details in different models before they go on a shopping rampage.

I did find a cheap rice cooker today, with a keep warm function, (of course the one I had in storage only had a timer) in which to  do my black garlic.  A sweetie on here this spring made some and shared it.  I have two small cloves left and need more!  This time I will share with anyone who wants to try it, but it will be almost 40 days from tomorrow.

What kind of rice cooker did you get ands where?

It is a Black and Decker from Walmart, I think $24?  I have it loaded with garlic and ready to plug in on the deck.

I also finally managed to get a good set up for making Kombucha.  The last time it grew mold because I couldn't keep it warm enough and my granddaughter was in a serious car wreck so I was at the hospital for a week.  I got home and found the mold so I had to dump it.  Hopefully this time it's good.  $3 a day adds up fast but even that's cheaper than dealing with a terrible digestive system.  I have to take a huge dose of antibiotics every time I even get my teeth cleaned so I start drinking a lot more Kombucha before and after.

Albert Einstein

I have the Phlips XL air fryer.  Of course I'm feeding the equivalent of 10 people with my 4 person household (2 teenage boys). So far I like it, but I've found the recipe book included with cooking temps and times aren't all that accurate.  It recommended 8 to 10 minutes for cheese sticks.

It's expensive, but also one of the highest rated air fryers.  My only complaint so far is that it is too loud.

Ah ha, noise!  I never considered that noise would be a problem.  That's the kind of tip that I'm looking for.

Albert Einstein

7 minutes ago, Petee said:

Ah ha, noise!  I never considered that noise would be a problem.  That's the kind of tip that I'm looking for.

They have a fan in them that runs continually while they are 'frying'. Mine isn't loud at all but you can definitely hear it. 

Somewhere I read that you should go 'digital'. I did and I like it. I can't really compare it to 'non-digital' since this is my first. Maybe someone else could offer some insight?

I have the Philips XL, because I live with two guys who eat a lot.  So far, I've made frozen sweet potatoe fries, homemade hand cut fries, raw shrimp, frozen coconut shrimp, and chicken strips dipped in flour, egg and panko bread crumbs.  All were good.  The recipe book helped a lot.   

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

16 hours ago, sapphire said:

They have a fan in them that runs continually while they are 'frying'. Mine isn't loud at all but you can definitely hear it. 

Somewhere I read that you should go 'digital'. I did and I like it. I can't really compare it to 'non-digital' since this is my first. Maybe someone else could offer some insight?

My definition of loud differs greatly from the norm.  Noise bothers me a lot.  I can't even stand a radio being on, lol.

5 hours ago, Polo said:

I have the Philips XL, because I live with two guys who eat a lot.  So far, I've made frozen sweet potatoe fries, homemade hand cut fries, raw shrimp, frozen coconut shrimp, and chicken strips dipped in flour, egg and panko bread crumbs.  All were good.  The recipe book helped a lot.   

How did the homemade fries turn out?  My son wants them this weekend.  

12 hours ago, allboys said:

How did the homemade fries turn out?  My son wants them this weekend.  

They were good.  It's a good idea not to cut them too thick.  Also, make sure they get enough olive oil on them.  We really enjoyed them.   I like mine a little on the crispy side, but you can let them in as long as you like.   I think its going to be nice to use the air fryer to make them when making them as a topping for chicken salads, too.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

On 12/8/2017 at 3:11 AM, allboys said:

My definition of loud differs greatly from the norm.  Noise bothers me a lot.  I can't even stand a radio being on, lol.

Lol, I'm the opposite, I have to have something going on in the background, radio or television. We've made quite a few things in ours. I agree with another poster on times. I like my wings and fries on the crispy side, so I add more time to what's called for. I use an old Rachael Ray recipe for cajun oven fries that we absolutely love. I always made them in the oven, but the air fryer works well too.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --