GoDuBois.com

Cozy Coop Heater Won't work.

Petee

I can't help you there, we don't get below freezing much, and rarely below 20. I'm thankful I don't have to deal with the lows y'all do.

How often do you clean the floor of your coop? I know that you know about composting and the heat it gives off. I clean my coops once a year, in the spring. I start with 4 inches of leaves and grass clippings, then add as it gets soiled. That layer of compost on the bottom of the coop keeps the temps warmer inside, but I don't know if it would combat the cold you see

I clean my coop twice a year, spring and fall. In the fall I put in lots of shredded leaves and add the hay the goats don't want to eat as needed. I've never had any problems with frostbite with my chickens or peacocks. I do notice that on really cold nights the hens will make little nest depressions in the bedding instead of hopping up the roost.

I had no problem with the cold last year but this year has been so much colder!  I don't have to clean the coop much because it composts and we'll just add another layer of wood chips if it seems to be getting bad and it not time to clean it yet.  I just have hubby toss in a hand full of whole corn in the evening so they dig around for it and turn the bedding.  I'll probably clean it if there's a nice January thaw, and then again in the spring.  It seems to average out to about every three months depending on the weather and how much time they spend inside the coop.