GoDuBois.com

2018 Pennsylvania Farm Show Guide - Jan.6 - 13

mr.d

If there were any attraction to bring me to PA, that would be it. I would absolutely love to see an Ag show with that many exhibitors. There are rural parts of SC, but the Ag shows here are severely lacking. You have to go to TN to even start getting into the big time chicken shows. I could spend days walking round a show like that

1 hour ago, Petee said:

It's more than you can see in a day so allow at least 2-3 days to experience everything.  Whether I go or not will depend completely on the roads.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the dates. Isn't it something like 1400 degrees below zero up there right now?

Have you seen The Empire Strikes Back? You know that scene where Luke Skywalker slices open a Taun Taun with his light sabre and crawls inside to stay warm? That would be me in the cattle exhibit

Some of the cattle there could hold several people.  

I can see why they want to do the Farm Show when the farmers aren't as busy, but really?  The year I went, the roads were dry and it was fairly warm.  You have to wait outside for the shuttle to take either way from/to your car (Handicapped or not) and it was difficult then.

Today was 24 degrees and pleasantly warm............did I just say that?  But yes, it was a relief from the colder temps.

I heard back from the Electronics guy and the chicken coop heater is toast.  The heating element is done for, so I may resort to a light bulb.  If I hang it over their heads, it should be well out of their reach.  I hate to do it but the temps are going below 0 degrees pretty soon, and damper.

16 minutes ago, Petee said:

Some of the cattle there could hold several people.  

I can see why they want to do the Farm Show when the farmers aren't as busy, but really?  The year I went, the roads were dry and it was fairly warm.  You have to wait outside for the shuttle to take either way from/to your car (Handicapped or not) and it was difficult then.

Today was 24 degrees and pleasantly warm............did I just say that?  But yes, it was a relief from the colder temps.

I heard back from the Electronics guy and the chicken coop heater is toast.  The heating element is done for, so I may resort to a light bulb.  If I hang it over their heads, it should be well out of their reach.  I hate to do it but the temps are going below 0 degrees pretty soon, and damper.

Yeah, at those temps I'd worry about frostbite before I'd worry about throwing off their sleeping cycle. A red light wouldn't bother them as much, but would use a much higher wattage. Have you tried putting petroleum jelly on their combs and wattles, especially the roosters? That's pretty effective. We've been in the teens here the last few nights, and a couple of my boys are even showing signs on the tips.

The few shows we do have here are the opposite, they usually do them at the end of summer or early fall, and even in October temps can be well into the 80s. That's a pretty warm day in the barns

7 hours ago, LFG said:

If there were any attraction to bring me to PA, that would be it. I would absolutely love to see an Ag show with that many exhibitors. There are rural parts of SC, but the Ag shows here are severely lacking. You have to go to TN to even start getting into the big time chicken shows. I could spend days walking round a show like that

The Farm Show is amazing! I'm with Petee, I hate that it's in the middle of winter in PA :(

16 hours ago, LFG said:

Yeah, at those temps I'd worry about frostbite before I'd worry about throwing off their sleeping cycle. A red light wouldn't bother them as much, but would use a much higher wattage. Have you tried putting petroleum jelly on their combs and wattles, especially the roosters? That's pretty effective. We've been in the teens here the last few nights, and a couple of my boys are even showing signs on the tips.

The few shows we do have here are the opposite, they usually do them at the end of summer or early fall, and even in October temps can be well into the 80s. That's a pretty warm day in the barns

Remember, I have neighbors instead of roosters.  However, I'll get a small tube for hubby to put on the hens combs.  The Leghorn has the most damage.  I'll try to get a heat lamp today but I have a 5 hour afternoon class and then it's directly to the BUDS meeting till about 9 pm..