GoDuBois.com

Get out the Seeds!

Petee

Does anyone know the best time(s) to start seeds indoors for tomatoes and peppers? I thought that I had saved my info from last year, but I can't find it now. Last year was the first year that I found some extra time to do my own.  I'm trying to decide what others to do, I'm thinking squash for sure and possibly cukes. Maybe others, I'll see :)

You can find it many places on the internet.  I'm not sure if it's from the Farmer's Almanac or where but it's a good one.  You can find some charts with a lot more listings and they can include information on whether to  keep the seeds dark, whether to stratify, scarify, soak or chill them while germinating and whether you should start them inside, when, or whether they should be direct seeded.  You can also go winter germination.  I have some Pansies going right now and they had to go into a black garbage bag to germinate properly.

You can contact the Penn State Master Gardeners in your county and they will e-mail this type of information right to your computer, plus answer any questions, insect, soil, compost, water problems, small garden cover crops, mulching, water solutions or whatever about your garden.  That's what we get paid the huge money to do.......we're very well trained and Certified volunteers!  We do it because we love to share accurate and university researched gardening information with the public.

You can find PA Master Gardeners from most counties on Facebook, or go to https://extension.psu.edu/programs/master-gardener.  Jefferson County's address is https://extension.psu.edu/programs/master-gardener/counties/jefferson    Clearfield and Clarion County do not have a MG Program but Jefferson County is happy to answer questions and serve any county around our area.

The program is funded by the US Government, the Pennsylvania State government and your local county government.  Take advantage of what we are trained to offer.  Call 849-7361 and a Certified Master Gardener will return your call.