FIND OUT WHAT MY LOCAL MENUS IS ALL ABOUT ... CLICK HERE!
Sign in to follow this  
Buster99

Sea sickness?

Question

We are leaving soon for a cruise and I would like to get everyone's opinions on controlling sea sickness.  The BF and I both get motion sick and don't want to ruin our trip.  I went a on a cruise about 15 years ago and tried the Sea bands.  They didn't seem to work for me.  I took Bonine the entire time.  Probably overdosed on it because I was so worried about being sick.  I don't like Dramamine because it makes me so drowsy.  I asked the doctor for those patches that I could put behind my ear, but they were $79.00!

Any suggestions or advice on what has or hasn't worked for you?

Thanks!

What seems a blessing may really be a curse.

14 answers to this question

Been on many an offshore fishing trip with LFGal. First, Petee is right. Pay up for the patches, you'd pay more to stop the pain once you get sick. If that's not an option, the main thing is to keep something on your stomach. A large cruise ship is going to be much better than a fishing boat, and even just snacking on peanut butter crackers would help my wife immensely. Ginger is also a natural remedy. Ginger tablets are readily available, and ginger ale works wonders. Especially when washing down peanut butter crackers ;)

Good luck!

If you are on a Disney Cruise they have the motion sickness tablets down in the sick bay available 24 hours a day. 

The downside to taking anything is most drugs even OTC recommend avoiding alcohol.

Mmm, on a cruise and not enjoying a adult beverage or two or three or four.🤢🤢

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, Hostofchucks said:

Hopefully the cabin is mid-ship and low. This alone can help. Keep busy and try not to think your self into getting sick. Keep positive and you will be fine.

Yes, thankfully.  Our cabin is right in the middle on deck 2.  Great location.  We shouldn't have any trouble keeping busy....this is the Legends of Pittsburgh cruise!

3 hours ago, Buster99 said:

Yes, thankfully.  Our cabin is right in the middle on deck 2.  Great location.  We shouldn't have any trouble keeping busy....this is the Legends of Pittsburgh cruise!

You are sailing in the Gulf of Mexico. I doubt you will get seasick. If you start feeling queasy, go out on deck and look at the horizon. Looking at close objects that are moving with the ship while your body is also moving  is what usually causes seasickness.

Unless the sea gets rough you aren't even going to know you are on a ship. The one time I was on a rough cruise I took a Dramamine and took a nap on the cabin floor. Somehow stretching out on  the floor seems to stabilize things.  And I had a hamburger. Hiatus on the odd food. That seemed to take care of any quesiness and one Dramamine doesn't keep you asleep forever. .  It was a bad one for awhile even members of the crew were missing from the dining room. 

I once cruised to Bermuda and it was so rough, doors were swinging open and shut unless they were latched. The water was sloshing out of the drinking glasses in the dining room. I sat and ate a wonderful meal and had the entire dining room almost to myself! The waiter thought it was funny and was bringing me pretty much one of everything.

I use Dramamine when I have to fly, which was 2 weeks ago. I just looked at the bottle and it says all natural ginger, non drowsy. The turbulence was pretty bad on the departing flight, I didn't get sick or sleepy. Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide to try.

Both a friend of mine and I used Transderm-scop on a fishing expedition 50 miles off the Rhode Island coast.  Everyone got sick except for my friend and I (also the crew didn't get sick).

One poor 12 year old ate about a dozen Kit-Kat bars while heading out to sea.  He was good for chumming.

Image result

"A man with a keyboard can steal more money than a man with a gun!"

"No good deed goes unpunished".

10 hours ago, Basset3 said:

Both a friend of mine and I used Transderm-scop on a fishing expedition 50 miles off the Rhode Island coast.  Everyone got sick except for my friend and I (also the crew didn't get sick).

One poor 12 year old ate about a dozen Kit-Kat bars while heading out to sea.  He was good for chumming.

Image result

Yes, I have made chum many times. 😕