What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
pineappleology

Eggs

8 minutes ago, pineappleology said:

It seemed to me by the conversation some people on here have organic eggs for sale. I did a search and couldn't find the info. Could someone who can help me reply? Thanks. 

Message Petee. 

Sadly enough, it's almost impossible to raise guaranteed "organic" eggs today with almost everything being contaminated with chemicals, and since there are still chemicals that are considered "organic" which are allowed to be used for "organic" food.  There's also chemical drift from farms and from traffic, lawns and runoff water sources.  Perfectly organic was my goal, but it's not possible in today's world.  You can only raise the nutrition level and quality of the eggs.  

Mainly I am opposed to the "factory" eggs. What they do to chickens is inhumane and if I buy those eggs, I am contributing to their misery.  I can guarantee that I make every effort to make sure that my chickens get as much clean feed as possible and I work hard on the nutrition they get.  They eat locally produced layer mash, locally produced corn in the winter, (neither are organic), food scraps, oats that I germinate daily, Kelp, grit, oyster shell, purchased organic greens, and in the summer, organic fresh lettuces, spinach, fresh pulled grass, weeds and berries.

I have 9 of the happiest and well-fed birds, and we love them.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Eggs without bacon are against my religion!

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

9 hours ago, Petee said:

Sadly enough, it's almost impossible to raise guaranteed "organic" eggs today with almost everything being contaminated with chemicals, and since there are still chemicals that are considered "organic" which are allowed to be used for "organic" food.  There's also chemical drift from farms and from traffic, lawns and runoff water sources.  Perfectly organic was my goal, but it's not possible in today's world.  You can only raise the nutrition level and quality of the eggs.  

Mainly I am opposed to the "factory" eggs. What they do to chickens is inhumane and if I buy those eggs, I am contributing to their misery.  I can guarantee that I make every effort to make sure that my chickens get as much clean feed as possible and I work hard on the nutrition they get.  They eat locally produced layer mash, locally produced corn in the winter, (neither are organic), food scraps, oats that I germinate daily, Kelp, grit, oyster shell, purchased organic greens, and in the summer, organic fresh lettuces, spinach, fresh pulled grass, weeds and berries.

Enjoyed reading your post.  We get our eggs from a local fellow who raises chickens.  Sounds like your chickens are very fortunate to have you as their owner!  What great care you give!

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

We are fortunate to have them.  Although we are permitted to have chickens in our Subdivision, they are strictly regulated by the township, mainly because I have neighbors who do not want my chickens "doing something" in their grass.  The Livestock Law was personally delivered to my door by Billy Beers.

We bought an acre next door which is NOT in the subdivision and is zoned Residential-Agricultural.  I have not pushed it but we did situate a chicken coop where the neighbors won't necessarily see it.  I did tell them it was there and got the most shocked look, but they are completely legal.  That's why I do not have a rooster although I would love to have one.  We did not buy land for our house wisely!

I also mark every egg with the date it was laid.  We eat them ourselves and I want fresh eggs.  If they get to be over a week old, I usually give them away although I will happily accept donations for any and all eggs.  It is expensive producing good quality eggs and keeping the girls content.  Mine even have a swing!

This summer we will be adding on to their grazing area.  Chickens tend to take land back to just soil if they don't have enough grazing area and if it isn't moved regularly.  More fence!

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Petee said:

We are fortunate to have them.  Although we are permitted to have chickens in our Subdivision, they are strictly regulated by the township, mainly because I have neighbors who do not want my chickens "doing something" in their grass.  The Livestock Law was personally delivered to my door by Billy Beers.

We bought an acre next door which is NOT in the subdivision and is zoned Residential-Agricultural.  I have not pushed it but we did situate a chicken coop where the neighbors won't necessarily see it.  I did tell them it was there and got the most shocked look, but they are completely legal.  That's why I do not have a rooster although I would love to have one.  We did not buy land for our house wisely!

I also mark every egg with the date it was laid.  We eat them ourselves and I want fresh eggs.  If they get to be over a week old, I usually give them away although I will happily accept donations for any and all eggs.  It is expensive producing good quality eggs and keeping the girls content.  Mine even have a swing!

This summer we will be adding on to their grazing area.  Chickens tend to take land back to just soil if they don't have enough grazing area and if it isn't moved regularly.  More fence!

Your eggs are the best eggs I have ate. So yummy. Happy chickens lay amazing eggs.

15 hours ago, Petee said:

Very well said

2 hours ago, William said:

Are Egg land Eggs really any better than others ?

Better than others in the grocery store?

Yes

Better than Petee's?

Not by a long shot

For the answer to that, I would say go to this website to see what they did, and then try to find a Pennsylvania site like it.  You will note at least one company from the Mid-Atlantic region.  Check out what you are eating in processed eggs.  Note: ALL eggs have blood spots.  It's part of the package, but they should be almost invisible.

https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/eggs

How to grade an egg:  https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/raising-chickens/determining-chicken-egg-quality-all-you-need-to-know

Albert Einstein