What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
soccermom

IUP Student from Tyrone Kicked Out of Class for Telling Professor There Are Only Two Genders

College student kicked out of class for telling professor there are only two genders

Indiana University of Pennsylvania student, Lake Ingle, was barred from class for speaking as a man and refuting his professor's claims.

Indiana University of Pennsylvania student, Lake Ingle, was barred from class for speaking as a man and refuting his professor's claims.  (Lake Ingle)

A religious studies major was barred from Christianity class at Indiana University of Pennsylvania for saying during class that there are only two genders.

Lake Ingle, a senior at the university, said he was silenced and punished by IUP Professor Alison Downie for questioning her during a Feb. 28 “Christianity 481: Self, Sin, and Salvation” lecture.

After showing a 15-minute TED Talk by transgender ex-pastor Paula Stone Williams discussing the “reality” of “mansplaining,” “sexism from men,” and “male privilege,” the professor asked the women in the class to share their thoughts. When no women in the class said anything, Ingle spoke up, challenging the professor on biology and the gender wage gap. 

He told the class that the official view of biologists is that there are only two genders.

The feminist professor booted him from class and asked him not to come back. She referred him to the public university’s Academic Integrity Board (AIB). Ingle needs to complete the class to graduate at the end of the semester.

“You are barred from attending this class in accordance with the Classroom Disruption policy,” IUP Provost Timothy Moerland told Ingle in a March 2 letter.

Lake Ingle

Dr. Alison Downie referred student, Lake Ingle, to IUP's Academic Integrity Board, originally asking for a forced apology and an opportunity to silence and lecture him. She eventually decided to banish him from class.  (Lake Ingle)

Ingle said what the professor did was unconstitutional.

“My professor is violating my First Amendment rights because of the fact that my views and ideology is different from hers,” Ingle told Fox News. “So she took it on herself to silence and embarrass me – bully me – for speaking up in class.”

Downie accused the conservative libertarian student of “disrespectful objection,” “refusal to stop talking out of turn,” “angry outbursts in response to being required to listen to a trans speaker discuss the reality of white male privilege and sexism,” and “disrespectful references to the validity of trans identity and experience.”

Ingle doesn’t see this as a transgender, women’s rights, or wage issue, but rather as free speech and an example of the constant misuse of intellectual power at universities.

“It is my firmest belief that every human being has the freedom and right to identify, dress, and represent oneself as they see fit,” Ingle said. “I think this is all an attempt to silence my views personally because they contradict the ones she pushes in class so evidently.”

Ingle objected to Downie’s “overall abuse” as a professor “indoctrinating” students because she won’t listen to the other side of a controversial argument.

“You can’t say that anecdotal evidence is fact,” Ingle said. “My professor pretty much just tried to shut me up because she was just letting women speak. I brought up the fact that biologists don’t agree that there’s more than two genders and I said the wage gap she’s referring to – 77 cents on the dollar – that even the New York Times debunked that.”

Downie and Ingle had an AIB hearing Friday, with a ruling set for March 19.

If the board rules against Ingle, he won’t graduate in May. Regardless, he plans on someday becoming a professor.

“When you see that kind of misuse of intellectual power, you want to be the person that comes back and does it responsibly and with morals,” Ingle said. “Instead of being the purveyor of your ideology, you can be an educator.”

The university was unable to comment due to student education records, and Downie did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

If he was disrespectful, rude, and talked out of turn, he has to be disciplined.  However, if he acted respectful and just voiced his thoughts on the matter, then he shouldn't suffer repercussions.  Sometimes folks who want to indoctrinate others to their thinking take opposite opinions as "fighting words" and really take offense.  I would be interested in how the other students interpreted his actions.  That would tell the tale and determine what should be done.  Based on his wording above, he doesn't sound like a loose cannon.  I hope he gets a fair shake. 

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

Where is the ACLU on this?  This kids rights to free speech and education, especially for graduation, have been violated. Speaking out of turn doesnt warrant a dismissal or academic suspension. This is whats being taught on our college campuses. Id sue IUP big time. My Graduate school would be paid elsewhere at the very least.  Welcome to Liberal political Correctness. And IUP is a TAXPAYER funded school which means EVERYBODY has a free right to education. They built that debt ridden sports arena on taxpayer money.

I would want to hear from the other students who witnessed it.  

The job he is training for is intense if it is done correctly.  Billy Graham was such a defender of the Christian faith.  We need another one.

If he was rude and disruptive, then that needs to be addressed.  If he can answer the tests to her standards, (and I would put quotes around the answer she wants but I do not feel is correct in reality) then he has accomplished the goal of the class he paid her to teach.  He needs to see both sides, but after that, he has to be able to form his own answer and defend it.

He is there so he has enough information to carry out any job he chooses to do.  He is not there to be indoctrinated.

If she is the problem, then both the ACLU and the ACLJ can take up his case.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Biologically speaking, the professor is correct.  There are only 2 sexes with countless genders.  Gender and Sex are not the same.  Nonetheless, I'm sure the professor knew what the student meant.  

You are speaking about Gender Identity which is different from Gender.  Gender is Male or Female.  Gender Identity can be anything.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, Petee said:

You are speaking about Gender Identity which is different from Gender.  Gender is Male or Female.  Gender Identity can be anything.

In Biology, Male and Female is defined as ones "sex".  Sex is based on chromosomes, hormones, and organs.  Gender is based on ones feeling, cultural delineation, etc.  Therefore, there are two sexes and several genders.  

3 hours ago, Petee said:

I would want to hear from the other students who witnessed it.  

The job he is training for is intense if it is done correctly.  Billy Graham was such a defender of the Christian faith.  We need another one.

If he was rude and disruptive, then that needs to be addressed.  If he can answer the tests to her standards, (and I would put quotes around the answer she wants but I do not feel is correct in reality) then he has accomplished the goal of the class he paid her to teach.  He needs to see both sides, but after that, he has to be able to form his own answer and defend it.

He is there so he has enough information to carry out any job he chooses to do.  He is not there to be indoctrinated.

If she is the problem, then both the ACLU and the ACLJ can take up his case.

This is college and if a student is afraid to speak out for fear of getting a failing grade or being kicked out of school, then Progressive Professors have successfully brainwash our young people. 

The student is a relgiious study major. The name of the course is:

Christianity 481: Self, Sin, and Salvation.

What does a transgender pastor "mansplaining" and talking about white male privilege have to do with Christianity, self, sin and salvation? 

Older generations have let young people down and have allowed this type of thing to go on.  This young man is a folk hero for trying to set it right. White male privilege my behind!

42 minutes ago, Cacao said:

I've heard from other outlets that this student was being disruptive and screaming in class.  That's what he was kicked out of the class, not because of the gender comment.  If that's true, then he got what he deserved.

"Other outlets"! Yes, I'm sure that's the party line from IUP as told to CNN or MSNBC.

8 minutes ago, soccermom said:

"Other outlets"! Yes, I'm sure that's the party line from IUP as told to CNN or MSNBC.

It was a Pittsburgh news station...WTAE, I think.  

19 minutes ago, soccermom said:

Actually,  IUP can't release a statement due to FERPA regulations.  All accounts that are out there right now are either Lane Ingle's or other students in his class. 

27 minutes ago, MIM307 said:

Actually,  IUP can't release a statement due to FERPA regulations.  All accounts that are out there right now are either Lane Ingle's or other students in his class. 

FERPA doesn't stop employees from leaking information to others off the record.

Even then you would probably need a consensus from the class because ulterior motives can change testimony.  To be effective, this student is going to have to don his armor and deal with the public.  This is part of the reality of the Bible.  It's not all history or horrible punishment from God.  That's bull kukky!

Ephesians 6:11-18 King James Version (KJV)

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Cacao said:

It was a Pittsburgh news station...WTAE, I think.  

I saw it in the Altoona Mirror. The kid's from Tyrone.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

1 hour ago, Vader said:

The kid's from Tyrone.

Yup, says so in the title, hahaha. 😉 😂 Sorry, I just had to for all the picking you've done on me through the years!! 

2 hours ago, soccermom said:

FERPA doesn't stop employees from leaking information to others off the record.

But we don't believe those off the record sources, right? Fake news and all that.

7 minutes ago, lavender said:

Don't you just hate it when there is no right answer or wrong answer but just the answer that the teacher wants to hear? That isn't education; that is indoctrination. Makes you want to take a math or chemistry class. 

I do hate that, especially in a college class. I think we learn a lot by listening to viewpoints that are different from ours. 

Free speech, and the sharing of ideas, still needs to be respectful though.  If the student failed to express his ideas respectfully, he deserves the discipline he receives. 

30 minutes ago, MIM307 said:

But we don't believe those off the record sources, right? Fake news and all that.

But nothing about "off the record" FERPA right? 

No, I do not believe the university. What that student is describing is happening all across the country. It's called Leftism.

49 minutes ago, lavender said:

Don't you just hate it when there is no right answer or wrong answer but just the answer that the teacher wants to hear? That isn't education; that is indoctrination. Makes you want to take a math or chemistry class. 

I still can't get over the fact that he was forced to sit and watch a video of a transgender pastor talking about sexuality, while trashing white men, in a Christianity class.

3 hours ago, Bon said:

Yup, says so in the title, hahaha. 😉 😂 Sorry, I just had to for all the picking you've done on me through the years!! 

BAHAHAHA. Once I got in I read the headline on the story.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

A victory for free speech: IUP makes the right call to reinstate student
THE EDITORIAL BOARD
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 
MAR 21, 2018

On Monday, Indiana University of Pennsylvania president Michael Driscoll made an important and courageous decision to reinstate a student who had been temporarily barred from a religious studies class after making controversial remarks on gender identity.

The student, Lake Ingle, was awaiting a decision from the college’s Academic Integrity Board after claiming in class that he believes there are only two genders and after he disputed the existence of “white male privilege.”

Mr. Driscoll announced his plan to “indefinitely pause the formal university process without resolution.” Mr. Ingle will be permitted to return to the class — which he needed to graduate — on the condition that he behave respectfully in the classroom during discussion and debate.

In an email sent to the entire campus community, Mr. Driscoll also expressed disappointment that “in the presence of a test of our devotion to the First Amendment and to the IUP Way, we fell short as a community.”

The IUP Way, as the school defines it, is to include all students and their opinions in a respectful academic environment.

“In matters that involve the fundamental values of IUP such as open discussion, civil dialogue, and reasoned disagreement in the service of learning,” Mr. Driscoll wrote, “I will take the risks rather than rest on the safe ‘but foolish consistency that is the hobgoblin of little minds.’”

By taking this course of action, Mr. Driscoll has not only made the correct decision — to reinstate a student who appears to have been unfairly punished for his opinions — but he has taught his campus a tremendous lesson about the value of free speech and open discourse.

Higher education is about constantly confronting what we think we know and amending our thoughts based on new information or a deeper understanding. That requires study. It also requires dialogue and debate. Anyone willing to express an opinion should have the intellectual fortitude to stand up to a critic, in a classroom or out.

Ensuring the right to speak for the most “offensive” among us ensures the right of all of us — whether we be white, black, straight, gay, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, anti-Trump or pro-Trump — to also speak our minds. That includes the right to respectfully counter the arguments of others and to have our own arguments countered.

Mr. Driscoll is to be commended for standing up for academic freedom and free expression on his campus. He said: “In a free society, people with opinions you don’t like are allowed to exist, are allowed to speak, and can call you names.”

And that, in some sense, says it all.