What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
mr.d

Proposed Bill Would Fine Parents $500 If Their Child Is Bullying Others (Pa.)

Proposed bill would fine parents $500 if their child is bullying others

ca9c4318-8a9c-4290-8963-31793a5ca392-lar

State Rep. Frank Burns is proposing a bill that would hold parents accountable if their child is found to be bullying other children. (MGN)

EBENSBURG, Pa. - State Rep. Frank Burns is proposing a bill that would hold parents accountable if their child is found to be bullying other children.

Under the bill, parents of the bully would face a fine of up to $500.

“When it’s not addressed, bullying can escalate quickly from taunts and hurtful online posts to physical assaults and—in worst cases—suicide," said Burns.

Burns continued saying, "holding students, parents and officials at all levels accountable is the only way to put an end to this scourge."

The representative's proposal has three phases. Under the legislation, the first time a child is found to be bullying, the school would be required to inform the bully's parents of the incident and how the school handled the situation.

A second incident would require parents to take a class on bullying and to attend a bullying resolution conference, with a third incident resulting in a court citation and a fine of up to $500.

“If holding parents accountable is what it takes to reel in their kids’ bad behavior, then let’s do it,” said Burns.                                                                                                                                                                      http://wjactv.com/news/local/bill-proposed-that-would-fine-parents-500-if-their-child-is-bullying-others

What happens when you get a speeding ticket that you can't pay?  The $500 should be used for the classes, and both parents and children should attend.

Parents have to be better mentors to their children.  Defending yourself is a skill that should be learned from your elders.  They've had a lifetime of exercise.  You shouldn't think you have to bully to get through life.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Bon said:

I don't know Petee, I've never received one!! 😀

I have, and you beg, borrow or (didn't try this one) steal to pay it.  They actually take payments on fines!  I didn't, but I know of others who have made payments.  They don't like pennies!

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

I have no problem whatsoever with this other than school adminstrations should also be held accountable if it happens at school after the 2nd offense. 

A better resolution, though, would be to allow school choice. That way, parents could have the right to move their child out of a district with parents who refuse to parent their own child and administrators who refuse to intercede.

1 hour ago, soccermom said:

Payment plan, and if you don't pay, jail, like they do with any other crime.

The kid should get jail time not the parents. There are good parents out there with rotten children. The kids need to do some time in juvy, do a lot of community service and work for their bullying, months of detention. Punishing their parents is a slap on the wrist. They really will still getting away with it and if they are really bad kids then they wont care who is punished as long as it isnt them.

16 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

The kid should get jail time not the parents. There are good parents out there with rotten children. The kids need to do some time in juvy, do a lot of community service and work for their bullying, months of detention. Punishing their parents is a slap on the wrist. They really will still getting away with it and if they are really bad kids then they wont care who is punished as long as it isnt them.

I've actually never met really rotten kids who had good parents. I think most bullies come from homes where bullying occurs, or from homes where no one cares what the kids do.

16 minutes ago, soccermom said:

School vouchers would be the best thing.

Why?   I am truly interested in your response to explain why you think charter schools would solve this problem.  

I feel I'm being bullied by this bill:huh:

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

2 hours ago, QuickDraw said:

Why?   I am truly interested in your response to explain why you think charter schools would solve this problem.  

Who said anything about charter schools? I am talking about a voucher that a parent can use at any school. That would include a different school district. If people can leave and take their money with them, schools will try harder.

Just now, soccermom said:

Who said anything about charter schools? I am talking about a voucher that a parent can use at any school. That would include a different school district. If people can leave and take their money with them, schools will try harder.

What are your suggestions for "trying harder"?  Who would provide transportation to another district?

Just now, QuickDraw said:

What are your suggestions for "trying harder"?  Who would provide transportation to another district?

If the parent has a voucher, they would be taking their money with them and applying it to a different school district. Transportation issues would have to be worked out.

Trying harder to provide a safe environment conducive to learning for ALL students. Zero tolerance does not do that. 

7 hours ago, soccermom said:

I have no problem whatsoever with this other than school adminstrations should also be held accountable if it happens at school after the 2nd offense. 

A better resolution, though, would be to allow school choice. That way, parents could have the right to move their child out of a district with parents who refuse to parent their own child and administrators who refuse to intercede.

Where is this district with the parents who won't refuse to parent their own children?  I would like to send my own kids there. Lol

Just now, soccermom said:

If the parent has a voucher, they would be taking their money with them and applying it to a different school district. Transportation issues would have to be worked out.

Trying harder to provide a safe environment conducive to learning for ALL students. Zero tolerance does not do that. 

I understand where you are coming from.  But what happens when parents take their kids and their money to a new district, and the bullying happens at the new school?  How many times do you uproot a child?  

Just now, QuickDraw said:

Where is this district with the parents who won't refuse to parent their own children?  I would like to send my own kids there. Lol

There are many districts that don't have issues with bullying and have high achieving students. Upper St. Clair is usually near the top of the list in PA.