GoDuBois.com

Planting from seed

steelnut

I was wondering how those who plant from seeds are doing with their plants?

So far so good here, this is my second year. My San Martzano's are looking good so far, saying with my fingers and toes crossed!

I planted late, because last year my plants got very spindly waiting until the ground was warm enough to plant them. TIA!

I waited until after St. Patrick's Day to start seeds this year. I usually have them in by the 17th of March.  The weather has been so bad that I couldn't see getting started too early. The broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage is up but doesn't have the true leaves out yet. The peppers are just breaking ground. The tomatoes haven't germinated yet but I put them in just last week.  Some of the odd things like herbs and cardoon are late also. I'll have to start getting the bigger ones into pots next week or the week after. I always do way too many. 

The BUDS Gardeners will eventually have almost 200 different kinds of seeds planted.  Pansies have been in the containers since the last day of January.  The 10-9-8 week seeds are happily popping up their little heads waiting to be big enough to get their own seed cup.  Some will not be seeded till 3 weeks before the last predicted frost which I always set at May 31 for my own use.

I have a big bottom heated table, 5 grow lights and a small greenhouse (once repaired after being destroyed after June 2017 hail storm) that is heatable once I'm ready to set out the seedlings.   Then I have the large greenhouse in which they stay till the Plant Bazaar from June 1 - June 4 at Charlie's Alternators.  I also grow a few native perennials for the Master Gardener Outdoor Education Gardens in Brookville.

If there are any special seeds you want germinated, then let me know and I'll get them growing for a donation to the BUDS Gardeners.