FIND OUT WHAT MY LOCAL MENUS IS ALL ABOUT ... CLICK HERE!
GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
WMJ77

shelter dogs

this is kind of a rant, but......since we had to put our dog down awhile ago, I have been looking for another dog/puppy. I thought, ok maybe a shelter dog or a rescue dog(same thing) the adoption fee is ....most times ....crazy, I may as well get one from a breeder.....yes I know they have expenses but come on, you are supposed to be trying to get dogs and cats into forever homes....some want you to have a fenced in yard, not an invisible one either....add that to the adoption fee :o    I'm looking for an indoor dog, why do I want a fence?  When I let the dog go out it will be on a long rope so it can go and then come back in.....anyway......kinda sad about the whole thing ....that's all

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

Try four footed friends. My friend adopted a goldendoodle. She said the cost was much more affordable and included the spay/neuter.  They are out of Indiana she was very happy and also volunteers there now on occasion. 

from 1 of the adoption sites

Note: Local candidates are always given preferential treatment and calls outside of the New England states will not be returned. We will NEVER ship any of our animals regardless of the suitability of the prospective home.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

1 hour ago, SunnyinPA said:

Try four footed friends. My friend adopted a goldendoodle. She said the cost was much more affordable and included the spay/neuter.  They are out of Indiana she was very happy and also volunteers there now on occasion. 

thx....mostly pit mixes....i like the breed but not around kids....not worth it

1 hour ago, Lyndsey33 said:

Doesnt the fee include all shots plus spay/neuter?

it does:huh:

1 hour ago, WMJ77 said:

They will keep your info and contact you if a breed you prefer comes in. They had a sweet lab for months that finally got  a good home. 

The point of rescue dogs is not to save money,  it's to save the animal.   

Best dog we ever had was one we rescued from a bad home. We saw it online. It cost us a lot more in vet bills than a shelter adoption fee that's for sure. Sure miss that dog and will adopt a rescue again when the time comes. 

What breed are you considering? I see quite a few in need of homes daily online. 

I have three dogs from shelters. Two are rottie mixes and one full blooded. Best dogs I ever had. We got our first from an Altoona shelter on 220 might have been called Blair County Humane society.  The next one from Saint Marys at the Elk county humane society and the third from Indiana Human Society.

I have never been told I needed a fence and let me tell you I would adopt if I had to put up an expensive fence. I can control my dogs without a fence. I can take my dogs to the vet and they lie right at my feet waiting to be seen by the vet. The female goes every month for her shot and the staff there loves her and she enjoys going.

There were fees at all three places and this does cover the spayed/neutering and shots. It also helps the shelter in paying the cost of running the shelter. Those animals do need food and roofs over their heads.

Listed below are links that have Shelters all over the area. You will find a lot duplicated on each site and al are within a good reasonable driving time.  Heck I even a saw a link to Adopt a Cow :good:

https://www.countyoffice.org/dubois-pa-animal-shelters/

https://www.countyoffice.org/altoona-pa-animal-shelters/

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

Saw a mistake in my last post. It should have read

I would not adopt if I had to put up and expensive fence.

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

What breed are you considering?

hell, I don't know...lol....

Australian Shepard

golden ret...(not sure if I want one that big)

labs

mutts

I found this one last night.....has a chance.....was looking for 1 a little younger but its a cutie....its in ohio

325931561.jpg

I feel your frustration. We had a rescue turn us down cause we have kids!!!! Seriously.  

If you are looking for a beagle or beagle mix, try Nittany Beagle Rescue. They are in West Decatur.  We had a very positive experience with them. My parents also got a great beagle/lab mix from them that was a fantastic dog.

Good luck!

Edited to add here's the link to their website: http://www.nittanybeaglerescue.org/our_beagles.cfm

16 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

Best dog I could ever ask for. He's a pit and a rescue. He's great around kids and all types of animals. He has never given me a problem and he's not fixed.  A dog is what u make it not because of it's breed. 

IMG_20180305_122931841.jpg

5 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

What breed are you considering?

hell, I don't know...lol....

Australian Shepard

golden ret...(not sure if I want one that big)

labs

mutts

My husband sent me a picture of a 6 month old black lab on facebook the other day, he would love to get one right now.   6 months is young enough to train it your own way.  

Golden retrievers and labs are great dogs we have had both. 

i know that there are fees and I know that they spay/neuter and that is good also to control animal population, What I don't get is Home visits?  Really? It's a pet, not a child. If you didn't want a pet, you wouldn't be there looking and a pet doesnt care if the toys aren't put away and the dishes aren't done and the laundry is piled up. What a pet needs is food, water, love and a family to pay attention to them. keep looking, you will find the right one that someone is looking for a home for. If I hear of any, I will let you know

If you can't say nuffin' nice, don't say nuffin' at all

I would agree that these are out of line, but then I drive by the house where the horse was allowed to starve to death and it's obvious there is a problem there.  Trees with the bark chewed off is a clue.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Eh, I guess I'm in the minority here. I would far rather shell out $200+ to a group of people who put the money towards saving more animals, then give it to a breeder who only cares about money in lieu of the animals' health and well being.

And yes, home checks can seem like a bit much, but the example Petee gave is only one of many. There are plenty of people who go into shelters to find pitbulls to use as bait in fights, people who want to add another dog to their hoard of 30 starving and living in their own feces, so on and so forth. Home checks are there for that reason. Some shelters have rules more strict than others, but if I was "selling" a dog to what should be its forever home, I would absolutely want to know that said home was more beneficial to the dog than the shelter.

As a side note, I have a rescued pitbull and he is the sweetest dog you could ever ask for, nothing but a big baby. Great with kids. Quite frankly after getting him, I don't know if I'd ever get a different breed again. They are easily one of the sweetest, most loyal breeds you can find.

As for the "it's a dog, not a child" comment... that irks me. Sorry. But a dog cannot care for itself, it relies solely on YOU to do that for them. For a dog, you, their human, are their everything. So yes. You must take (damn near) the same level of care for the dog as you would with a child. A dog is not a possession.

In my personal opinion, (and no this is not meant as a jab at anyone but rather a generalized statement) if you think a one-time fee of $200 is too much to pay for an animal that will love you unconditionally and never leave your side until the day they die, then you shouldn't get one.

13 hours ago, Gilb3314 said:

i know that there are fees and I know that they spay/neuter and that is good also to control animal population, What I don't get is Home visits?  Really? It's a pet, not a child. If you didn't want a pet, you wouldn't be there looking and a pet doesnt care if the toys aren't put away and the dishes aren't done and the laundry is piled up. What a pet needs is food, water, love and a family to pay attention to them. keep looking, you will find the right one that someone is looking for a home for. If I hear of any, I will let you know

One shelter told me home visits are to see if the animal was the correct fit for the family/new owners.   Sometimes people take home a dog from a shelter only to find they can't handle the animal they selected, the animal is tearing up the furniture,  tries to bite visitors,  too big, etc.   The home visits give the adoptive family a chance to return the animal without all the associated guilt..  The bottom line is, no matter how much you want to assign human characteristics to your pets, they are still animals.  That cute, scared little doggie in the shelter could turn out to be a vicious little jerk once you get it home.