GoDuBois.com

What Ducks Are Better?

Bon

On 6/1/2018 at 9:01 PM, Bon said:

Thinking my ducks need grit. They are in grass all the time & I read it helps with their food digestion.

Aren't yours mostly free ranging? Grit is basically sand and small rocks, in the wild it can even be things like the shells of snails they consume. I'm all for giving fowl whatever they need to keep them healthy, but store bought grit isn't as necessary for ducks as it is chickens. Ducks have gizzards, instead of a crop like chickens, so they don't require the amounts of grit that chickens do.

Have you ever been on backyardchickens.com  ? That is hands down the best site on the internet for all things chicken or duck

They were in a pen that we moved around once a week. What a pain in the butt!!  They are almost what you would call free range ducks. They are in grass, no rocks, or stones.

My hubby text me this message on Thursday morning- "I fear foul play has met one of our ducks."

Patsy was gone!! She was untied, a few feathers on the ground, a very small cluster of feathers with some blood on it. 

I say someone stole her, my hubby says a fox or other animal got her. He thinks he was funny with the text he sent me, along with most people. I don't think he was funny at all. I like my ducks!!!

19 hours ago, Bon said:

My hubby text me this message on Thursday morning- "I fear foul play has met one of our ducks."

Patsy was gone!! She was untied, a few feathers on the ground, a very small cluster of feathers with some blood on it. 

I say someone stole her, my hubby says a fox or other animal got her. He thinks he was funny with the text he sent me, along with most people. I don't think he was funny at all. I like my ducks!!!

That's awful, I'm sorry Bon.

Few feathers indicates fox to me, quick snatch and grab....

Most other animals will leave more... just more. A fox runs off with the whole thing, they pounce so quickly that there isn't much of a struggle where feathers are lost and run off with everything

20 hours ago, LFG said:

That's awful, I'm sorry Bon.

Few feathers indicates fox to me, quick snatch and grab....

Most other animals will leave more... just more. A fox runs off with the whole thing, they pounce so quickly that there isn't much of a struggle where feathers are lost and run off with everything

But how did she get untied? They are all tethered, & that morning my hubby said Cranky & Ivy were all tangled up. Took him 10-15 min to untangle them. Patsy's tether was straight out with the feathers by it.

Yesterday morning a red fox was killed at 4:50am in front of my driveway. ☺

7 minutes ago, Bon said:

But how did she get untied? They are all tethered, & that morning my hubby said Cranky & Ivy were all tangled up. Took him 10-15 min to untangle them. Patsy's tether was straight out with the feathers by it.

Yesterday morning a red fox was killed at 4:50am in front of my driveway.

Karma? 🤔

5 hours ago, Petee said:

I don't think you want to get the answer to that question.  You may want to actually put up a fence designed to keep the birds in and the other critters out.

I already got my answer to the question, I just don't want to believe it. :no: :(  I put the ducks away at night.