GoDuBois.com
mr.d

5 Foods Americans Call By Different Names

14 hours ago, steelnut said:

My sister was telling me that she saw a British actor talking about how when he and his siblings were young in England, they collected what we call pencil erasers, but over the pond they called them rubbers...

I have a brother that collects those. I think he moved to Pittsburg

2 hours ago, LFG said:

There's a local brew down here made by RJ Rockers. It's called Son of a Peach, and it tastes better than it sounds. Just a hint of peach flavor with a wonderful aftertaste. It's the perfect beer for those hot, humid Southern weekends. Unless....

You drink two growlers of the stuff by the pool on a Saturday afternoon. The peaches don't taste near as good coming up as they did going down, and somewhere there is a video of a very inebriated LFG, farmer's tan and all, dancing to "All About That Bass".

I can't even smell the stuff any more :duh:

I am sure some of us here would pay to see that video:rofl:

40 minutes ago, etsaunt said:

I am sure some of us here would pay to see that video:rofl:

I'll try and give you a visual. Shave a bear, shoot it with a tranquilizer gun, put some swim goggles and trunks on it, and blast some Meghan Trainor

3 minutes ago, Bon said:

take a deep breath, slowly let it out. Do it again if needed!!!

Apparently you missed that thread :arghh:

Tell me, Bon, when you make a BLT can you stack it, from bottom to top, bacon, then tomato, then lettuce?

I anxiously await your reply...

2 minutes ago, LFG said:

Bama, PA, I'm sure both have manholes

How true, how true.

However, you'd be surprised by the differing surroundings and dialects you will find when you get to your destination after loading your GPS with directions to Pittsburg or Pittsburgh.

I guess you could say that we all have our "BLT" issues, eh? HAHAHA

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

11 minutes ago, Vader said:

How true, how true.

However, you'd be surprised by the differing surroundings and dialects you will find when you get to your destination after loading your GPS with directions to Pittsburg or Pittsburgh.

I guess you could say that we all have our "BLT" issues, eh? HAHAHA

Dangit, you must have replied in under one minute :funny4:

I always question whether there is an "H" at the end or not, but considering this is the same state that annihilated the proper pronunciation of DooBwa...

4 hours ago, LFG said:

Yes, those are the flamboyant hosts. Maybe you missed the post about ordering soda in Pittsburg :funny4:

Having traveled some over the years I have encountered the pop/soda thingie many times, but I do know the difference between a soda and a float and some of the other finer concoctions made with fizzy soda and ice cream with appropriate adornments like whipped cream and cherries.

1 hour ago, LFG said:

Dangit, you must have replied in under one minute :funny4:

I always question whether there is an "H" at the end or not, but considering this is the same state that annihilated the proper pronunciation of DooBwa...

You don't know the half of it. At least you could consider the DooBwa pronunciation a family quirk. If you want real butchering, try bastardizing something elegant and smooth like Versailles (Ver-sigh) into a Pittsburghese clunker of North Versailles (Ver-sails).

I also remember, way back when, crossing paths with a girl who was named "Charis". First glance, I'm thinking "Oooh, (Shar-eese). That's pretty sleek and graceful". Nope. She insisted it be pronounced (Chair-es). Ugh. It was almost like watching someone draw a handlebar mustache on the Mona Lisa.

mona_lisa_with_mustache_tile-r7811ae1893494cde9e380b996ad57b07_agtk1_8byvr_307.jpg

HAHAHAHA

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

12 minutes ago, Vader said:

You don't know the half of it. At least you could consider the DooBwa pronunciation a family quirk. If you want real butchering, try bastardizing something elegant and smooth like Versailles (Ver-sigh) into a Pittsburghese clunker of North Versailles (Ver-sails).

I also remember, way back when, crossing paths with a girl who was named "Charis". First glance, I'm thinking "Oooh, (Shar-eese). That's pretty sleek and graceful". Nope. She insisted it be pronounced (Chair-es). Ugh. It was almost like watching someone draw a handlebar mustache on the Mona Lisa.

mona_lisa_with_mustache_tile-r7811ae1893494cde9e380b996ad57b07_agtk1_8byvr_307.jpg

HAHAHAHA

That looks like my brother that moved to Pittsburg(h)

2 hours ago, LFG said:

Tell me, Bon, when you make a BLT can you stack it, from bottom to top, bacon, then tomato, then lettuce?

NO, NO, NO.  Bacon must be on top.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

NO, NO, NO.  Bacon must be on top.

Still an evasive answer. It's not so much about the bacon or tomato, it's all about the lettuce. In your bacon on top theory, what goes in the middle? Does it even matter to you? My opinion of you as a person rides on your answer...

3 hours ago, LFG said:

Bread lightly toasted with nippy brown, slice of cheese, bacon, lettuce, miracle whip, bread lightly toasted.

1 hour ago, Bon said:

Bread lightly toasted with nippy brown, slice of cheese, bacon, lettuce, miracle whip, bread lightly toasted.

Mine is very close to yours and I call them BLTC's. Bread, then cheese, then lettuce and tomato and then more bacon, then Miracle Whip and the other slice of bread. This keep the bread from getting soggy from the lettuce and tomato, soggy bread is a big no-no for me. :)

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

3 hours ago, LFG said:

Still an evasive answer. It's not so much about the bacon or tomato, it's all about the lettuce. In your bacon on top theory, what goes in the middle? Does it even matter to you? My opinion of you as a person rides on your answer...

Oh oh.  Your opinion of me will probably go down down down but the order really doesn't matter as long as it is all on there plus a big old slice of onion and lots of Miracle Whip. Hold the cheese. 

What does the 'club' in club sandwich mean?

a sandwich cut in half© Photo: Dave King (Dorling Kindersley/Getty Images)

It’s not too often that I am actually surprised by things I come across in that bizarre social catch basin known as “Twitter moments,” but this was definitely one of them. And granted, this one is still up for debate. Like many of you, I always believed that the club sandwich was created at some fancy country club somewhere, all the better for the rich people to enjoy their toasted white bread slathered with mayonnaise and piled high with chicken, lettuce, bacon, and tomato. Ideally sliced into triangles, with another piece of bread snuck in the middle there, all held together by an ambitious toothpick.

Sure enough, clubs like a gambling club in Saratoga Springs, New York, as well as the Union Club of New York City, take credit for creating the now beloved club sandwich, short for “clubhouse.” But a new (or newly discussed) theory is floating around that the “club” is actually an acronym, standing for “chicken lettuce under bacon.” Consider my mind appropriately blown, and I’m not alone.

On Twitter today, this debate ranks right up there with the blue/gold dress and the Yanny versus Laurel skirmish of yesterday: Is “club” an acronym or not? As Quora, it says no; ask Abbreviations.com, it’s a definite yes. Given what is actually on the sandwich, the acronym certainly makes sense. But given where the sandwich is often eaten, the traditional definition of “club sandwich” fits as well. Maybe—and just hear me out—the savvy title for this sandwich works both ways?                                          SEE TWEETS ;    http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/what-does-the-club-in-club-sandwich-mean/ar-AAxnbeo?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCDHP

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh oh.  Your opinion of me will probably go down down down but the order really doesn't matter as long as it is all on there plus a big old slice of onion and lots of Miracle Whip. Hold the cheese. 

:censored::arghh:

5 hours ago, mr.d said:

“club” is actually an acronym, standing for “chicken lettuce under bacon.

There you have it people, undeniable proof that there is meaning to those letters, a natural order to things that must be adhered to, and from Twitter, no less, so you know it's fact :good:

22 hours ago, LFG said:

I'm with you except for the "any color" solo cups. Red is for beer, blue is for spitting

Sapphire, I know that you only post in the What's for dinner thread now, but I see you disagree with this post. You spit in the red cups?

6 hours ago, LFG said:

Sapphire, I know that you only post in the What's for dinner thread now, but I see you disagree with this post. You spit in the red cups?

Nooooo, I drink...(at least before I read this thread)....from the BLUE SOLO cups. They WERE my favorites. :(

And I can post wherever I want :P LOL.  ;)