GoDuBois.com

what's your favorite garden tomato?

Lupara

The Juliet is the first one that comes to mind for me. 

56 days to maturity is hard to beat

good flavor

pasty enough for salsas, sauce and drying

resists cracking unlike many smaller varieties

good disease resistance

I'll plant others but this has been a go to variety for quite a while now.

Like Steelnut, I like Celebrity for eating and San Marzano for canning. Both grow under adverse conditions. I'm trying a cultivar of Celebrity this year it is called Celebration. Celebrity seeds are difficult to come by. I try something new each year also. This year beside Celebrity it is Maestro. I also saved seeds from the Kumato and we shall see if they are an open pollinated plant or a hybrid. 

16 minutes ago, Petee said:

My favorite snacking tomatoes are Yellow Pear, Red Currant, Green Zebra and Chocolate Cherry.  My favorite Sandwich tomato is Cherokee Purple or Oxhart.  Canning Tomato is San Marzano.

Those snackers would make the most colorful tomato salad. Yum.:good:

I picked up San Marzano, Yellow Pear and Celebrity. These were the only varieties recommended by members, that I could find at two locations. I'll still pick up some cherry or grape size for some early harvesting. Thanks.

The BUDS plant bazaar will have about 20 varieties of tomatoes from huge heirlooms to teeny Spoon Tomatoes, and lots in between.  They are all raised and donated by members, and all donations go to support the BUDS projects this coming summer, right here in DuBois.  We also provide and plant the bigger street pots from Main Street down to Brady, and we assist Revitalization with some of their pots.  We provide educational gardening programs monthly to the public and also give a scholarship to the Penn State Master Gardener program.

Come get individually planted plants for your garden, no need to drag home 4-6 in order to get the one you want.  Make a donation to the beautification of your own community.

It will hopefully be on Wednesday-Thursday-Friday and Saturday after Memorial Day at Charlie's Alternators.  Take time while you are there to tour the gardens to see what we have been doing.  Your donations are what the group exists on, so please be generous.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, Petee said:

The BUDS plant bazaar will have about 20 varieties of tomatoes from huge heirlooms to teeny Spoon Tomatoes, and lots in between.  They are all raised and donated by members, and all donations go to support the BUDS projects this coming summer, right here in DuBois.  We also provide and plant the bigger street pots from Main Street down to Brady, and we assist Revitalization with some of their pots.  We provide educational gardening programs monthly to the public and also give a scholarship to the Penn State Master Gardener program.

Come get individually planted plants for your garden, no need to drag home 4-6 in order to get the one you want.  Make a donation to the beautification of your own community.

It will hopefully be on Wednesday-Thursday-Friday and Saturday after Memorial Day at Charlie's Alternators.  Take time while you are there to tour the gardens to see what we have been doing.  Your donations are what the group exists on, so please be generous.

Stopped in at the BUDS plant bazaar today. The selection of tomato varieties was unlike any I've ever seen. I couldn't begin to list them all. I came away with a half dozen different varieties to try out. Very cordial, helpful and knowledgeable hosts as well. I highly recommend a visit. This will be an annual stop for me.  

Thank you.  We try hard to select varieties with different uses that we personally can recommend for a specific taste or use.  I can't wait to see how the Rocky Tomatoes cook up, how pretty the Indigo Tomatoes are in real life, if the Bulls Heart are as fabulous in a sandwich as they were last year,  if the Black Beauty Tomatoes are as good tasting as they look, and if my favorites are still Green Zebra and Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes.  

52 minutes ago, Petee said:

Thank you.  We try hard to select varieties with different uses that we personally can recommend for a specific taste or use.  I can't wait to see how the Rocky Tomatoes cook up, how pretty the Indigo Tomatoes are in real life, if the Bulls Heart are as fabulous in a sandwich as they were last year,  if the Black Beauty Tomatoes are as good tasting as they look, and if my favorites are still Green Zebra and Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes.  

Ah Geez. I got the Zebra, the Atomic, the Sun Gold, the Purple Cheyenne, the Yellow Pear,  the Celebrity and  the Ox Heart. Don't make me come back down there. For now my neighbors, friends, family, strangers passing by, and I  thank you. Do let us know how the new varieties taste. See you next year.