GoDuBois.com

Fungus???

What kind of a tree is it?

Is there any damage to the tree itself?

Are they attached to or coming up from underneath the soil?

Could you send me a close up of one of the oval structures?

Is it soft and crushable?  Odor?

Might I be able to get a sample of them in a Zip Lock baggie asap?

My phone is 371-3322 or 590-9010.

yep I would say they are deadmans fingers. I saw a group of mushroom hunters at Mcconnels Mills park yesterday and thought of your post. So I checked out their facebook page and saw someone mention deadmans fingers and I thought bingo. I see that Petee already identified them which i figured she would.

The world of fungi is weird and wonderful. I used to find this one along the fence of my veggie garden. It is known as dog penis fungus or less salaciously as dog stinkhorn (Mutinus caninus). They give them such great names. I don't know where that name came from but I have from a reputable source that when a mushroom guide was recently compiled the publisher insisted of common names for all of the 'shrooms. Some of them didn't have them as they were of no interest to anyone but the people who studied them so the person consulted made them up as he went along. He had a very whimsical imagination.  Here is the dog penis fungus

dog penis fungus.JPG

3 hours ago, Harvey Mungaknuts said:

found it is even growing on the landscape blocks around the tree.   tree will be cut in winter ( if it makes it that long)  will bleach kill this stuff in the soil afterwards

Not sure why you are so worried about it. It's not a fungus the way athletes foot is a fungus. It is just nature's way of utilizing dead or dying organic material. It helps break down the wood so that it returns to the soil like earthworms or soil bacteria work with the soil or in your compost heap.  Without these things everything that died would just lay there and never decompose.