GoDuBois.com
des

a&j dairy treat

Spouse just reminded me of a story about ___self.  A and J was first built by Harry Cairns, who owned the Cairn's Grocery Store across the street. It was named Dairy Treat.  Spouse's mother was being trained to work at the Dairy Treat before it opened and the day she had to learn to operate the ice cream machine she didn't have a sitter, so spouse had to go with her while she learned to run the ice cream machine. Spouse sat on a stool watching all that was going on. Man demonstrating ice cream machine gave spouse the very first ice cream cone made there, not the first one purchased but the very first ice cream cone to come out of the new machine. Years later it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Dick Fleck, then years later was bought by the Panighetti's. 

I found this...apparently you can buy the seasoning, but I'd bet there are no instructions for measures on how much meat, seasoning, etc.  Might be worth a shot though...

https://shop.pizza-burger.com/Pizza-Burger-Brand-Italian-Seasoning-Individual-Shaker.htm

"To sin by silence when one should protest, makes cowards of men." --Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I think Mr Panigheti's was a mixture of beef and pork or sausage.  It wasn't very spicy, just a really good balance of sauce, cheese and meat.  It's probably like Bailey's hot dogs, it was a perfect balance of how it was cooked and the buns, meat, etc.  Just one part of it wouldn't equal the end combined result.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, Sanibel said:

They also had Italian and sausage spices mixed in with the hamburger and pork. A&Js used to sell the spice packets separately for making at home. Palumbos makes a pretty good one. It is sold in the freezer section. Add your own sauce and mozzarella. 

What all are missing is that the cheese used was not mozzarella but rather grated parmesan.I had a G.F. that worked there and she told me how to make them.. I use a sasauge pattie,pizza sauce,grated parmesan and diced onion..Cook pattie first and then top with sauce,parm and onion and put in oven at 350 for a few mins till the cheese melts and put on a bun.I have had people tell me they are very close and wondered how I got the recipe

3 hours ago, hipower said:

It's great how wonderful our memories are and how average the reality was.  This seems more common with foods that we loved in the past and can't quite duplicate in the present.

I think that the memories and experiences of those things will forever be the missing ingredients. Anyone can copy a recipe, but they can't duplicate your memories of the past.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

7 minutes ago, Vader said:

I think that the memories and experiences of those things will forever be the missing ingredients. Anyone can copy a recipe, but they can't duplicate your memories of the past.

I agree, we were just talking about the Frosty Freeze???? on the boulevard in the 70's.  They had a ham sandwich that soooo good. But I think is was just being young, sitting in the back seat of a big "land Cruiser" with the family waiting for your number to be called so you could unwrap the parchment paper and dig into the sandwich you had to hold with both hands and chasing it down with a real glass bottle ice cold coke.

I learned this from person I know who worked there:           Mrs Panighetti would get in the spices premixed and mix by hand into ground sausage.  The same mix as already referred to in earlier posts.  She would taste the raw mixture to be sure the mix was perfect.  Then freeze individual patties.  They would then fry the patty and after flipped once add pizza sauce, cheese (couldn't recall  if mozzarella or parmisan) and diced onion.  Place a lid over top to steam and melt cheese, place on a toasted bun and put in a paper burger bag which advertised the spice company they used to mix sausage.