GoDuBois.com

Strawberry Plants

So I have been really happy to see so many strawberries coming on from the plants that we planted last year. Hubby picked a handful of ripe ones today. They all had been eaten somewhat by something. Does anyone know of a safe way of getting rid of whatever is eating them, safe as in for eating? I'm thinking it may be ants, but I'm not sure. TIA!

I was just researching and it seems like it could be any type of pest. There are tiny little round holes in every berry that ripens? I just wanted to get opinions of what to use from local folks who may have had the same problem. Thanks!

I am thinking slugs since it has been so damp lately. Bury a couple of plastic cups level with the soil.. Put a little beer in the bottom. They do their damage at night so check in the morning and see if you have drowned any. The dampness also draws earwigs and pill bugs. Some birds will also just peck a hole and move on. It is a frustrating problem to solve until you can figure out what the culprit is! My money is on the slugs though. I had the same problem so now I grow them in big pots and no more holes!

6 minutes ago, Sanibel said:

I am thinking slugs since it has been so damp lately. Bury a couple of plastic cups level with the soil.. Put a little beer in the bottom. They do their damage at night so check in the morning and see if you have drowned any. The dampness also draws earwigs and pill bugs. Some birds will also just peck a hole and move on. It is a frustrating problem to solve until you can figure out what the culprit is! My money is on the slugs though. I had the same problem so now I grow them in big pots and no more holes!

Thank you! I'll try the plastic cups with beer. Our bed is a raised bed that hubby built with very fine netting built up over it, so it's not birds. I always sprinkle eggshells around my veggie plants, I'm also going to try with the strawberries. Thanks again!

Most slug damage occurs at night, so be sure to pick anything ripe in the evening.  Lay short boards between the strawberry plants and check the underside every morning as soon as it gets warm.  You will find most of your culprits there.  Just scrape them off into a bucket of salty water.

Regular, frequent picking is your best defense against most strawberry predators..