GoDuBois.com
mr.d

$100 Million Expansion At Penn Highlands Expected To Create 400 jobs

Yes your correct Doctors do come and go and its the case norm at PHD how does the hospital intend to staff the multiple beds and faculties if RN's and Docs keep moving on?

42 minutes ago, William said:

Yes your correct Doctors do come and go and its the case norm at PHD how does the hospital intend to staff the multiple beds and faculties if RN's and Docs keep moving on?

I suggest you take your questions to the Penn Highlands  annual board meeting which will be held on June 19th @7:30 am at the Central Resource Center Conference Room. The meeting is open to the public.(notice was in yesterday`s Courier  Public notices)

1 hour ago, William said:

Im friends with a couple of these gone Doc's. They would have liked to stay.

27 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I suggest you take your questions to the Penn Highlands  annual board meeting which will be held on June 19th @7:30 am at the Central Resource Center Conference Room. The meeting is open to the public.(notice was in yesterday`s Courier  Public notices)

when most people are still sleeping or already off to work. 730 am.

4 hours ago, YourBoy said:

Are people that against driving a little bit to find stuff to do? Who doesn't like to take a drive? There is plenty to do within a 2 hour drive of DuBois which is an easy day trip. I lived in a city for many years and with traffic it took at least 30 mins to get anywhere you wanted to go to do stuff anyway.  

I haven't found living in DuBois to be restrictive activity wise.  You just need to get used to less options for eating and shopping.  With online shopping it shouldn't be that big of a deal and when it is take a drive!

Docs and other providers who are used to living in large cities don't drive 2 hours to have fun on a regular basis.  A two-hour drive is often a daily commute to work, and not what people want to do in their time off, especially in the medical field where, like the local powdered metal plants, 60+ hour work weeks are not uncommon.  People aren't going to "get used to" something they did not have to tolerate before, unless there are constraints.  Once the pressure is lifted, they often go back to what they are used to.  Hence, the revolving door of DRMC/PH.  I remember one doc who used to rationalize that NYC was "only" 5 hours away, and when his contract was up, he moved 5 hours away .... to NYC.  I hope the hospital tries to target providers who are from central PA or have worked in rural areas. Its better to a have a good fit between the person and their environment. 

Small town living is not for everyone. Some people think they will like it and they don't. Some do like it and stay.  Once they are living here they won't be having any 2 hour daily commutes.  You adjust and have a new "normal".

10 minutes ago, YourBoy said:

Small town living is not for everyone. Some people think they will like it and they don't. Some do like it and stay.  Once they are living here they won't be having any 2 hour daily commutes.  You adjust and have a new "normal".

Small town living is not for everyone, I agree.  I wish it was as simple as getting used to a shorter commute. The door will revolve faster, and this will impact continuity of care.

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze said:

Lame excuse.

Yep I do most productive work from 5 am to about 10 am. I work from home alot so it works out and I can go visits my sites if I want to and don't have worry about the admin paper work because I got it done in the morning. 

1 minute ago, JimmyPete said:

Yep I do most productive work from 5 am to about 10 am. I work from home alot so it works out and I can go visits my sites if I want to and don't have worry about the admin paper work because I got it done in the morning. 

Noted.

But many people have "regular jobs", and 7:30am is a terrible time for most working people I would think., esp. people with families, etc.....

1 hour ago, conservativeman633 said:

Noted.

But many people have "regular jobs", and 7:30am is a terrible time for most working people I would think., esp. people with families, etc.....

I think there is no such thing as a normal job maybe 9 to 5?  But most of my employees I give them the flexibility to adjust to their families. Most of them start around 7 and get done around 3 or so.  Some come in and work 10 to 6. As long they get 8 hours in and they work I'm good.   If they need to go to a doctor appointment I work with them to make up the time so they don't have to use a few hours of their leave for a 2 hour doc appointment or they have a school function etc. I would rather they use their time off in 4 or 8 hour increments instead of 2 or 3 hours for little stuff. 

Unfortunately doctors come and go. Some on their own...some by other ways. A lot see better opportunities and time to move on. Just like employees...cant blame them. Small town living/Big city living it's all what you want. And the job is all what you make of it.

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Lame excuse. No time is ever perfect.

I agree.

And yes, if a person was very serious they would take off work, etc....

But as a local leader in charitable groups I have found that evening is the best if you want the most participation...……..that's all I was sayin'...

One doctor came here from one of the busiest parts of New Jersey, loves it and chose not to leave even when he almost lost his job due to a health problem.  His wife is constantly out in the brush digging and planting, clearing and growing.  She said that one of the most fun things was a barn full of old stuff left by the previous owners.  They're keepers!

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, JimmyPete said:

I think there is no such thing as a normal job maybe 9 to 5?  But most of my employees I give them the flexibility to adjust to their families. Most of them start around 7 and get done around 3 or so.  Some come in and work 10 to 6. As long they get 8 hours in and they work I'm good.   If they need to go to a doctor appointment I work with them to make up the time so they don't have to use a few hours of their leave for a 2 hour doc appointment or they have a school function etc. I would rather they use their time off in 4 or 8 hour increments instead of 2 or 3 hours for little stuff. 

Well, yes---that's great.   But most people do not have that flexibility.  I wish they did...