GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Petee

Tourist Ideas for D.C.

Please give your best clues on travel and sites inside of DC. 

I cannot walk far, so I am renting a scooter for the day.  Suggestions.

Bus, transit, cab, trolley, skateboard to get around to the Mall, Vietnam War Memorial, Arlington, American Museum of Natural History, good parking for a 12 passenger van and 1 car.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

17 minutes ago, Petee said:

Please give your best clues on travel and sites inside of DC. 

I cannot walk far, so I am renting a scooter for the day.  Suggestions.

Bus, transit, cab, trolley, skateboard to get around to the Mall, Vietnam War Memorial, Arlington, American Museum of Natural History, good parking for a 12 passenger van and 1 car.

Never been, Petee? You can spend an entire day on the Mall itself and never really see everything there.

I had the opportunity to spend a in D.C. a few years ago and still didn't feel like I was able to take it all in.

Enjoy.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

We do the hop on hop off bus and it takes u everywhere. U get off where u want and back on when  u want. It stops at a lot of places like the holocaust museum etc. We also did a night tour which is amazing.  We paid one price for 2 days and it included the night tour. Definitely worth it but if u have a scooter that won't work. We parked at the Union Station parking garage and that's where we got the bus tickets and the bus picks u up at the station.

6 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

We do the hop on hop off bus and it takes u everywhere. U get off where u want and back on when  u want. It stops at a lot of places like the holocaust museum etc. We also did a night tour which is amazing.  We paid one price for 2 days and it included the night tour. Definitely worth it but if u have a scooter that won't work. We parked at the Union Station parking garage and that's where we got the bus tickets and the bus picks u up at the station.

We did the same thing but were able to put the scooter chair in the bottom of the bus. Did the same in NYC and Boston. Her chair does break down very easily however.  

"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""

12 minutes ago, BillyC said:

We did the same thing but were able to put the scooter chair in the bottom of the bus. Did the same in NYC and Boston. Her chair does break down very easily however.  

We have done the tours in Boston and NYC too. That's great a scooter can fit. I had no idea.

Was only there once on a Fullington / Trailways bus tour ...... It was the first weekend of April  in 1968 . 

We  didn't get to see too much as the riots broke out ..... I remember the tour ending very quickly at that point.

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.........

The Smithsonian.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

Once you park, what is the best way to get to these places?  Where is the best place to park?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

7 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

We have done the tours in Boston and NYC too. That's great a scooter can fit. I had no idea.

Now granted hers isn't very big but still the vast majority of the seats are upstairs so that leaves a lot of room in the bottom of the bus.

I've also done the tours in Boston and NYC as well. They are neat to do to see the common tourist sights but i also enjoy trying to get a van type tour and go into the neighberhoods of the bigger cities. 

The best place to park is at the Metro station closest to where you are staying and ride the Metro downtown. There are stops on the Metro within walking (scooter) distance of all of the major parts of the city including the Mall, the Smithsonians, Holocaust museum, etc. The other thing down there this time of year is that it's hot, hot, hot with all that concrete so dress appropriately.

Probably the best bet for getting around easy is getting one of the double-decker buses at Union Station. They have day passes and you can hop on and off as you please at all the sites, even the ones not right around The National Mall. Depending on what route you take to get there, the new Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport is really cool and I always like the National Archives, American History Museum, and Natural History museum.

where are you staying?   metro (subway) takes you to most things.  there are places to park outside of dc...like fairfax, then just get your ticket and ride....lincn memor, wash. monument,  smithson are all easy to get to, great falls is nice. horse drawn buggies around dc at night is nice

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

We're only going for the day which is why we need to be efficient.  A large group of family members are going together and the Vietnam military sites plus the National Museum of Natural History will be a major goal.  I'm definitely going to check out the Metro because if we could park outside of the hubbub it would be nicer.  I can't walk far because I have a hip sneaking up on me, especially if it's terribly hot.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm sure our day will be better for them.

Albert Einstein