GoDuBois.com
mr.d

Brookville Students Cannot Participate In Events With Planned Prayer

Brookville students cannot participate in events with planned prayers

BROOKVILLE — Brookville Area High School students are no longer allowed to participate in community events where planned prayers are included in the program.

The clarification was made Monday night at the Brookville Area School Board’s monthly work session after Brookville resident Paul Brown asked “if it is true that the school band cannot participate in anything that mentions God?”

“That is not true,” Superintendent Robin Fillman said.

Brown then asked, “Is it true, though, that the school band cannot participate in anything that has mentioning of God or prayer?”

Fillman replied, “Specific to prayer, if there is planned prayer at the event, our students cannot participate. It is due to the law of separation of church and state. That was our solicitor’s recommendation.”

She offered Brown a copy of the law. He said he would like to see it, “because President Trump said there was no such thing as a separation of church and state.”

Board member Kerith Strano Taylor said “it is well established by the Supreme Court of the United States that there is a separation of church and state. This isn’t imagined; it’s been the doctrine of the United States since its founding. A public institution that receives public funds is not allowed to force your students to participate in the respecting of any religion. Children are free to pray after school. We hold a Baccalaureate service off campus in a church, but we are prohibited from participating in programs that have planned prayer.”                                                                                                                    http://www.thecourierexpress.com/jeffersonian_democrat/news/local/brookville-students-cannot-participate-in-events-with-planned-prayers/article_805499a0-6c69-5fe8-9f91-d0b7c52596de.html      or Jeffersonian Democrat Thursday, June 14, 2018 on page 1

Wow that's different. I went to Brockway's Graduation and there was a prayer during the ceremony. Brookville's solicitor must read the rules different or Brockway's doesn't care.

Prayer is always legal if it is conducted by the students themselves.  

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Lizard said:

Wow that's different. I went to Brockway's Graduation and there was a prayer during the ceremony. Brookville's solicitor must read the rules different or Brockway's doesn't care.

Brockway is an interesting place.  Also heard that they play the Star Spangled Banner during each high school dance.  That's odd to me...not a song that gets the toes tapping.

24 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Brockway is an interesting place.  Also heard that they play the Star Spangled Banner during each high school dance.  That's odd to me...not a song that gets the toes tapping.

I wonder how many kneel during it.

Government is supposed not allowed to see how citizens practice religion.   That's how I see the law.   Church doesn't interfere with government and government s shouldn't interfere with the church.  

7 minutes ago, JimmyPete said:

Government is supposed not allowed to see how citizens practice religion.   That's how I see the law.   Church doesn't interfere with government and government s shouldn't interfere with the church.  

That's a good point but to go a little further, government also ought not to be caught up in what may be seen as potentially endorsing religion either.

Using federal/state/local government dollars to fund the school then having the school conduct activities by/with a religious group implies a preference toward that particular sect. As long as the religious group simply sponsors the event, without imposing prayer/religious services, etc., there wouldn't be an issue.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

But school is not government authority. Is it part of a government.  I bet you go go to a public library that gets government funding there are books about religion.   We've had prayer for various school events long long time ago. It never hurt anyone then and won't now.

3 minutes ago, JimmyPete said:

But school is not government authority. Is it part of a government.  I bet you go go to a public library that gets government funding there are books about religion.   We've had prayer for various school events long long time ago. It never hurt anyone then and won't now.

except that it may be unconstitutional for a public school to do, if challenged....

14 hours ago, mr.d said:

Brookville students cannot participate in events with planned prayers

She offered Brown a copy of the law. He said he would like to see it, “because President Trump said there was no such thing as a separation of church and state.”

?? A bit scary that Brown would take the president's quote as the final word like this...………..just sayin'

37 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

?? A bit scary that Brown would take the president's quote as the final word like this...………..just sayin'

Yeah, this Paul Brown guy must be a dolt.  Unfortunately, there are many people like him who believe everything/anything a politician says.

1 hour ago, conservativeman633 said:

except that it may be unconstitutional for a public school to do, if challenged....

How can a school stop someone from praying when we have freedom of religion? They are not government auothoirty!    It's not against the law to pray at a school event.    Like wise if another religion wants to have their prayer they should be able to as well not just Christians. 

Another case of political correctness forcing people to do things their way.  A moment of silence works and, by the way, doesn't Congress open its sessions with a prayer.

Next thing you know kids at that school will kneel for the National Anthem.... free speech you know.   Crapola.

Recently read  a quote that said, "When you elect clowns you can expect a circus."  Amen brother.

3 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

yes---that's what they are saying.....

No it is not what they are saying.  They are PROHIBITING students from participating in events where there is planned prayer.

3 hours ago, JimmyPete said:

But the school is an extension of the local government. They're funded by public tax dollars and run by elected officials. A library also doesn't have the authority to set and levy taxes.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

No it is not what they are saying.  They are PROHIBITING students from participating in events where there is planned prayer.

Actually Jay, they're not.

What they are saying is that the band, as a school-sponsored organization, is not able to take part in those events.

Should all the students leave their band uniforms at home, take their own instruments and go as an independent group that isn't affiliated with the school, they are free to do so.

1 hour ago, Vader said:

But the school is an extension of the local government. They're funded by public tax dollars and run by elected officials. A library also doesn't have the authority to set and levy taxes.

Taxes doesn't make laws. The school one and only job is education.    Also, the libraries set there their own fees.