GoDuBois.com

2018 Gardens

steelnut

How are everyone's garden's doing this year? I had to water my garden on Sunday because it was just parched and sad looking. But yesterday's rain made a world of difference, everything looks great (crossing fingers and toes) including my flower beds. Wishing all a very fruitful and plentiful season!

The heavy humidity is bad for cucumbers.  Are they trellised so they don't pick up soil-borne diseases?

If anyone gets the chance, stop by the Jefferson County Fairgrounds to visit the Educational Gardens there.  They are fantastic this year.  We use a specially blended soil and it's really paying off so far.

Best garden that we’ve had in years. You can almost see the plants growing especially the broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. Curiously, there are few insect problems. Even the flea beetles that usually just about ruin the eggplant are fewer in number and no asparagus beetles to speak of

I did spray for fungal and viral diseases as we had some problems last year. With all this rain it was precautionary. The only things  that were affected were some spiderworta and I want to keep it that way.

21 hours ago, lavender said:

Best garden that we’ve had in years. You can almost see the plants growing especially the broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. Curiously, there are few insect problems. Even the flea beetles that usually just about ruin the eggplant are fewer in number and no asparagus beetles to speak of

I did spray for fungal and viral diseases as we had some problems last year. With all this rain it was precautionary. The only things  that were affected were some spiderworta and I want to keep it that way.

My eggplant are the only ones that don't look so great, something is eating the leaves with little tiny holes, would that be flea beetles? Hubby dusted them Monday, then it rained. 

14 hours ago, steelnut said:

My eggplant are the only ones that don't look so great, something is eating the leaves with little tiny holes, would that be flea beetles? Hubby dusted them Monday, then it rained. 

That is those flea beetles. Seven takes care of them. The rain may not make much difference if that is what you are using. Either it sticks or it kills them off so quickly that it works despite being washed off. Gramps always said dust with lime but I never did think that worked. They will ruin the eggplant unless it grows so quickly that it replaces the leaves faster than they can turn them to lace. 

• 1 month later...

Update on our garden. All is very well, the only problem this past week is that it rained everyday and we couldn't get into it. So we had some very large squash, green and wax beans. I'm so happy that it's doing so well, but to be honest, it's kicking my butt this year trying to keep up with everything :) Here's hoping everyone is having a great garden!

Its been a very good year so far. Plenty pf pickles and relish put up( both cucumber and zucchini). I'm enjoying the new tomato varieties recommended on here. Sun Gold, Purple Cherokee, Celebrity and Yellow Pear will be planted again next year. Still waiting to sample the Green Zebra, Atomic Grape, San Marzano and Ox Heart. The dehydrator will be in full swing for the next month. 

My son has been making an excellent salsa with smoked Hungarian Wax and Sweet Hot Peppers.

19 hours ago, lavender said:

Looks as though the tomatoes will be fabulous. Lots of cukes. Fair crops of broccoli and cauliflower. Nothing much with the peppers and eggplant so far. Onions are larger than usual. I'll be trying the cardoon soon. Cabbage looking good. Odds and ends are doing well. 

The only thing in our garden that is terrible are the peppers, all of them. I noticed early on that the leaves were all curling? I got a few and now nothing, we'll just pull them all this week. 

My peppers and basil all have black leaf spot or just are stunted. Too much rain. I did spot one nice pepper today so I'm thinking that the larger bell peppers are going to set fruit.  Curling leaves can be caused by anything from insect damage to environmental stress. I agree with your solution. Since we won't starve if the pepper plants bite the dust the simplest thing is to pull them up. It's frustrating but not as time consuming as trying to save them. I did spray all the tomato plants this year for a fungus that has taken up residence in my soil and rots the stems of the small plants. It took care of the problem and the most amazing thing is that the tomato plants put out roots above the problem area on the stems after treatment. It is hard to kill a tomato plant. 

SO this year except for the peppers has been wonderful. And we are no longer raising tomato plants, they are tomato trees, first year ever that some have actually pulled the stakes from the ground and a few are taller than me! :)

Be sure to pinch the top out of the peppers so they put more energy into the fruit.  They will also need more fertilizer because of all the rain, but there's lots of time for them yet.  You may get a huge late fall crop barring a frost.

If any of you are in the Brookville area, be sure to stop out at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds to see the gardens there.  We have Quinoa, Amaranth, ancient corn, ancient beans, beautiful Strawberry, New Zealand and Malabar Spinach, red and white Bunching onions, trellises made of cattle panels, potatoes in a pot, lots more odds and ends including Carolina Gold Rice which I hope will have time to produce grain.  Just open the gate and tour it anytime.  Check the mailbox for information.

22 hours ago, Petee said:

Be sure to pinch the top out of the peppers so they put more energy into the fruit.  They will also need more fertilizer because of all the rain, but there's lots of time for them yet.  You may get a huge late fall crop barring a frost.

The peppers seem to all curl the leaves? I got a few peppers at first, now there aren't any blossoms at all. I've talked to probably 7 or 8 people who have the same problem this year and it's not like we all bought our plants from the same growers. It's weird.

I forgot, the best cabbage ever here! My eggplant made a comeback, they looked sickly early but have come around. I made hubby eggplant balls the other day and he had no clue that they were meatless, lol. The next day I fed them to son and grandson, same thing, they thought they were real meatballs. :)

16 minutes ago, steelnut said:

I forgot, the best cabbage ever here! My eggplant made a comeback, they looked sickly early but have come around. I made hubby eggplant balls the other day and he had no clue that they were meatless, lol. The next day I fed them to son and grandson, same thing, they thought they were real meatballs. :)

Recipe in the Recipe Forum?

https://plantvillage.psu.edu/topics/pepper-bell/infos

https://www.pennlive.com/gardening/2009/08/case_of_the_wilted_peppers_tom.html

Both of these links have info for lots of symptoms in peppers.  Without the actual plant, it's hard to diagnose accurately, but if you want a proper ID, then put the entire plant (minus soil) into a big ZipLock bag and drop it off at your nearest County Extension Office.  If they cannot diagnose it accurately, then they will forward it to the plant lab in State College.  It's a free service, but from the time it is removed from the ground till it gets into the hands of the lab personnel has to be as quickly as possible.  Mailing it on a Monday will mean it doesn't get left in the post office over the weekend or arrive when everyone is leaving for the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 9:39 PM, steelnut said:

The peppers seem to all curl the leaves? I got a few peppers at first, now there aren't any blossoms at all. I've talked to probably 7 or 8 people who have the same problem this year and it's not like we all bought our plants from the same growers. It's weird.

I gave my peppers and basil a good spraying with a combination viruscide and fungicide and the new leaves are coming in fine. Hope it isn't too late for the plants. 

10 hours ago, steelnut said:

I just shared on the recipe forum in the veggie and side category. Then I got interested in some of the recipes I saw posted, but a lot of them are cut off? Anyone else or it just my crazy computer?

It's not just your computer. I've noticed that too. :tapfoot:

I did not really do anything in my garden. My wife planted it. I just tilled it up a bit not to shallow this year and put the plastic down with her help. I put the stakes in for the tomatoes and other than that I really wasn't to involved. I just did not have the desire this year. The tomatoes turned out great and they are very big for the variety and should make excellent spaghetti sauce. The peppers are good. I also have pics of celery. I believe I have 14 stalks of them. The one tomato plant has around 30 tomatoes on it.

phpcSCY5oPM.jpg

IMG_7799.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7802.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

IMG_7804.JPG

IMG_7805.JPG

IMG_7806.JPG