What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
WMJ77

brain test

Turn me on my side and I am everything.......cut me in half and I am nothing......what am I ???

enjoy:)

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

2 hours ago, Sanibel said:

He made 20... 10 on each deal.

2 hours ago, sapphire said:

I agree, he spent $140 and got $160 back. He's $20 ahead. ;)

Nope. He can only make $10.

He lost the $10 he made the first time by paying more for it the second time. By doing that, he not only wiped out his profit from the first sale but also set himself back $10 more.

The only profit he realizes is that from the second sale when he gets his investment back plus $10.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

6 hours ago, Vader said:

He lost the $10 he made the first time by paying more for it the second time. By doing that, he not only wiped out his profit from the first sale but also set himself back $10 more.

The only profit he realizes is that from the second sale when he gets his investment back plus $10.

You are correct.

6 hours ago, Vader said:

It doesn't matter what he spent it on (in this case the horse again).  Technically he made $20.00.

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

It doesn't matter what he spent it on (in this case the horse again).  Technically he made $20.00.

That's also how LFGal justifies trading cars every two years. If it's worth what you owe on it you are breaking even. Guess those two years of payments don't count

xH83qU.gif

8 hours ago, Vader said:

I disagree. I look at it as two completely different transactions. In each one he made 10 dollars. You are looking at it as all one related transaction. If that is the case, you are right in the first part, but you have to use the 60  as the starting point for all of it.  If you consider that he is down 10 by the end of the first half, he makes 30 on the second half (90-60) but in your method he was down 10 at this point so 30-10 is 20. The profit is 20 either way.

14 minutes ago, Sanibel said:

I disagree. I look at it as two completely different transactions. In each one he made 10 dollars. You are looking at it as all one related transaction. If that is the case, you are right in the first part, but you have to use the 60  as the starting point for all of it.  If you consider that he is down 10 by the end of the first half, he makes 30 on the second half (90-60) but in your method he was down 10 at this point so 30-10 is 20. The profit is 20 either way.

As much as I hate to admit this, Vader is right. The first two transactions were with the same individual, he lost the $10 in the second transaction that he made in the first, that was a break even. The only profit he saw was the $10 he made the second time he sold the horse

I understand Vader's thinking and started down that road too last night when I decided that I was over thinking it.

At the end of the day, he got all of his 'investment' back (broke even there) and has $20 (profit) that he didn't have to begin with.  ;)

He shelled out $140 and got back $160. That's $20 profit in my world. :P

Just now, sapphire said:

I understand Vader's thinking and started down that road too last night when I decided that I was over thinking it.

At the end of the day, he got all of his 'investment' back (broke even there) and has $20 (profit) that he didn't have to begin with.  ;)

That's your problem, you were trying to think at the end of the day when you were tired. I pondered this question during my morning soak :good:

Just now, LFG said:

That's your problem, you were trying to think at the end of the day when you were tired. I pondered this question during my morning soak :good:

LOL, you are 100% right there! Now I will try to divert my eyes from that image. :huh::P

14 minutes ago, Sanibel said:

Nope!  His investment was 140 ( 60 + 80)  His return was 160 ( 70+ 90). 20 dollars all day long.

Say he starts off with $60 in his wallet, He spends that $60 on a horse, so he's broke. He sells that horse for $70, so now he has $70 in his wallet. He buys the horse back for $80, so he's down $10, he has to borrow $10 from his wife to buy it back. He then sells the horse for $90. He recoups his $70, pays his wife back for the $10, and only $10 is profit. He started the last transaction with $70 in his wallet and now has $80

xH83qU.gif