What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Some Residents Frustrated With Fireworks, Others Enjoyed

Some Residents Frustrated with Fireworks, Others Enjoy Greater Availability

fireworks.jpgJEFFERSON CO., Pa. (EYT) – The first Fourth of July following the change in Pennsylvania’s state laws pertaining to fireworks saw a slew of complaints on Facebook; however, there were few complaints to law enforcement agencies in our area.

(PHOTO: A man watches fireworks set off by private citizens to celebrate Independence Day from a vantage point at the Liberty Memorial on Wednesday, July 4, 2018, in Kansas City, Mo. AP Photo/Charlie Riedel.)

Fireworks enthusiasts had bigger, and some would say better, ammunition in their arsenal this year thanks to a new Pennsylvania law signed into effect late last year.

The new law allows Pennsylvania residents to buy and use any fireworks that comply with federal requirements for consumers. The complete version of the new law can be viewed here.

According to some local residents, the noise and lights of some of the fireworks being set off – often lasting well into the night – are prone to upsetting pets and small children, sometimes affect those with PTSD or anxiety, and can prevent people from getting sleep.

“Since they are now legal in PA, we just have to get used to it. I read every day about people whose dogs are freaking out over them. We’re used to it – on the fourth. Now it’s random and our dog suffers like everyone else’s. People don’t care,” said Marilynne S. Dwire.

“My neighbors do not understand what a noise ordinance is, even after being asked politely numerous times to not set them off after 10 p.m.,” Nikki Hart commented.

Though some local residents are less than pleased with the disruptions caused by the larger fireworks now available, it seems that most local law enforcement agencies haven’t seen any increase in official complaints.

exploreJeffersonPA.com spoke to representatives of several local law enforcement agencies and got very different answers in different areas of the county.

A representative of the Brookville Borough Police Department said they had no complaints at all pertaining to fireworks this year, while a representative of the Punxsutawney-based State Police said they received a few noise complaints, but no more than any previous year.

However, a bit further to the east, the Reynoldsville Police Department dealt with a lot of noise complaints, which a representative there said have continued on since the Fourth of July holiday.

While some residents are unhappy with the prolific noise caused by fireworks around the Fourth of July holiday, others are reveling in the newfound freedom to enjoy bigger, better pyrotechnics from the comfort of their own property.

Kyle Yates told exploreJeffersonpa.com, “(I) witnessed a ton more!”

“Loved it…the celebration of the birthday of our great country and the freedoms we get to share!” Kevin Knight said.

“Let freedom ring, be proud of your country and its heritage,” stated Carrie Johnston.

“Loved it. Glad they finally made them legal in Pa.” Jerry W. Barger commented.

Though a full range of consumer fireworks are now available to Pennsylvania residents, those wishing to set off their own display should also be mindful of their safety and the safety of those around them, as well as state regulations about the use of fireworks.

The Pennsylvania State Police website lists the following restrictions on where fireworks can be used:

• They cannot be ignited or discharged on a public or private property without express permission of the property owner;
  • They cannot be discharged from or within a motor vehicle or building;
  • They cannot be discharged toward a motor vehicle or building; and
  • They cannot be discharged within 150 feet of an occupied structure.

In addition, fireworks cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug.                                                                                                                         http://www.explorejeffersonpa.com/some-residents-frustrated-with-fireworks-others-enjoy-greater-availability/

There were a lot more Fireworks let off in Reynoldsville this year. I love it, I get to sit on my Deck and watch them all around me and be comfy in my pajamas. My one neighbor has done them every year and they are wonderful, when he is all done a lot of people whistle and blow their horns in thanks to him. I understand it can be a disturbance but I don't recall anyone setting any off after 10 or 10 30. Heck some started as early as 6 p.m. so as to not do it so late into the night!  Now this weekend the town will be setting them off for the Festival. Will people call and complain for that?

I hate the noise, can only tolerate a few minutes of the lights.  I have no problem with fireworks other than the money being blown to smithereens (I'm a tightwad who would rather be warm in the winter.)   When the noise starts, I simply go inside.  I have trained my terrified dogs to stay calm along with me.  They can learn to tolerate it too.  Unfortunately the bathtub that they used to crawl into during anything noisy, storms included, is gone with a remodel, and they can't open the dang door to get into the shower.  

Now, those who love the big boomers can be thrilled even more, but when the Fireworks tents arrive to sell the bangs, they should also be required to give out a copy of the local noise ordinances.  Not everyone will adhere to them, but I think more would if they knew there is a limit and a FINE!!  My son is included in this noisome buggery.

And they all lived happily ever after...............:yes:

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Where we were staged with our fire trucks in area of sewage plant ,this year's grand finale was so bright it put out the street lights around us. In all the years we have staged here this is  first time  this ever happened.  This was at Brockway.

1 minute ago, mr.d said:

Where we were staged with our fire trucks in area of sewage plant ,this year's grand finale was so bright it put out the street lights around us. In all the years we have staged here this is  first time  this ever happened.

Wow..I would loved to have seen your show. That had to be pretty bright! I love a nice show! The ones that just go into the air and do a loud BOOM I absolutely HATE! But I say to Each Their Own!  

I don’t have a problem with people setting off some fireworks for the 4th but when they celebrated for 9 nights in a row that’s where I have the problem. I do have a dog and yes it was like “Ground Hog Day” for 9 straight nights, she was so stressed with the noise. JMO

:ps:

People need to get over it. Its once a year and it's just a noise. If it pets are afraid then make sure they are inside. They will survive. Mine are petrified but I dont get mad that people set them off. If people can afford them then who cares that they spend their money on them. We dont set them off but enjoy seeing others that do.