What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mollycan

Stores??

15 minutes ago, hipower said:

Back when using hand tools was part of earning my living I followed your theory.  Only buy the best you can afford.  Usually S-K simply because I had a dealer cost deal with a company in Johnstown where we did a lot of business.  The former Phillips Hardware in Falls Creek was also a dealer and offered some good deals on S-K products.  We also had some dealer deals in-house that provided good opportunities for savings on tool purchase from Crescent, Proto and Klein, etc.

Fast forward to retirement and another chapter in tool buying occurred.  Woodcarving entered my life as a hobby and anyone who works with wood for any reason quickly finds that good sharp tools are absolutely required.  Now I have a good assortment of mostly Flexcut knives and goughes which serve me well.  (made in Erie, PA)  Not quite the quality of some German and Swedish tools, but so close that my skills will never be hampered by the difference.

I've carved some birds and have some of the German & Swedish tools, however I much prefer the Flexcut you've mentioned.  Quality is subjective to the job performed:  if the Flexcut give you a better end result than they're the better tool (I believe it is more the handles than anything!).

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I've carved some birds and have some of the German & Swedish tools, however I much prefer the Flexcut you've mentioned.  Quality is subjective to the job performed:  if the Flexcut give you a better end result than they're the better tool (I believe it is more the handles than anything!).

I agree.  If the handle doesn't fit your hand you'll never use the tool if you have any choice.  I've never tackled birds although I have several friends who do them quite well.  I've seen some bird carvings by Rob Knouse (from DuBois) that are very nice in the show at Cook's Forest.  My skills and tastes currently run more toward decorative spoons and animals other than birds.

5 hours ago, hipower said:

Many times that is the best answer.  But over the years I've found my aim has gotten poorer and my fingers more delicate.  Ergo, smaller hammer, better penetrants and more patience are easier on my aging body.

I see the BFH as a wrecking ball. 

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

27 minutes ago, fedup said:

I see the BFH as a wrecking ball. 

With age, one should appreciate time more, and taking sufficient time, even more so.  Trouble is, most of us will never realize that until way to late.

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

With age, one should appreciate time more, and taking sufficient time, even more so.  Trouble is, most of us will never realize that until way to late.

Beat it to a pulp, so it fits into a trashcan, and buy a new one.

Fedup's version of time management and simplicity.

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Sufficient time, that's the time between the sound of a beer opening and when it flows over your tongue.