What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
fedup

Help the dummy with a puter question.

If I download my cloud content on to a thumb then plug that thumb into another PC, will that PC automatically store the thumbs content on it's hard drive?

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

Fed if your system automatically transfers files from a thumb drive when plugged in to your system, you got problems. You should always have the choice to view or transfer any content. You will probably have to  transfer the files by selecting them on the thumb drive and putting them in to a new or existing folder of your choosing on your computer Remember you can select all then transfer. Hope that helps

"I am the master of my unspoken words and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken"

47 minutes ago, Bub said:

Fed if your system automatically transfers files from a thumb drive when plugged in to your system, you got problems. You should always have the choice to view or transfer any content. You will probably have to  transfer the files by selecting them on the thumb drive and putting them in to a new or existing folder of your choosing on your computer Remember you can select all then transfer. Hope that helps

Thanks but, (always a but) the PC  that I want to plug my thumb into is a business PC.  I have no idea how their system is set up.

I have pics in my cloud that this business may need for a possible law suit. I could use my own PC to transfer all the needed pics to a thumb on my own time.  Not that I am greedy, but I would like to do this at work while I am on the clock.

2 hours ago, fedup said:

Thanks but, (always a but) the PC  that I want to plug my thumb into is a business PC.  I have no idea how their system is set up.

I have pics in my cloud that this business may need for a possible law suit. I could use my own PC to transfer all the needed pics to a thumb on my own time.  Not that I am greedy, but I would like to do this at work while I am on the clock.

I think I see where you're trying to go but your thumb shouldn't directly download anything from itself to the hard drive without first giving you options as Bub said earlier. The thumb should act as its own drive (after first giving you a menu) so that you can create a folder and then empty the contents there. I'm running an older version of Windows but I can also access my thumb drive through the computer menu that shows the various drives that are attached. I'm not sure I'd recommend you trying that though.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

14 hours ago, fedup said:

It depends on what kind of firewalls your business has in place, some companies won't allow downloads on network computers, but a file transfer should be ok. I'll just tell you how that works on my PC with Windows and you can see if it works for you. It sounds like you have the files on the thumb, you just need to transfer them to the business PC, so try this:

1. Plug in the thumb

2. Click the windows icon that you use to shut the computer down

3. Click "computer"

4. You will see a line that says "Devices with removable storage". You flash will most likely show in the (E:) drive, probably using the brand name of the flash drive and says something like 45MB free of 61.3. Double click that and it will open the contents of that drive.

5.  The easiest thing for me to do here is copy and paste so that I'm not actually removing the file from the drive. If you are moving multiple files, left click the first one, then hold the control button to highlight them all as you click the rest. After you've highlighted the file or files you want, right click to bring up the options menu, then left click "copy".

6. Now you want to paste the files in a place where you know they are stored. If you know how, you can create a folder in Documents or Pictures and paste them there. If you want them really easy to find, just right click "desktop", then left click "paste". The files you chose should now be visible on your home screen with all your program icons.

I'm sure someone here knows an easier or faster way, but that's how I do it

1 hour ago, LFG said:

It depends on what kind of firewalls your business has in place, some companies won't allow downloads on network computers, but a file transfer should be ok. I'll just tell you how that works on my PC with Windows and you can see if it works for you. It sounds like you have the files on the thumb, you just need to transfer them to the business PC, so try this:

1. Plug in the thumb

2. Click the windows icon that you use to shut the computer down

3. Click "computer"

4. You will see a line that says "Devices with removable storage". You flash will most likely show in the (E:) drive, probably using the brand name of the flash drive and says something like 45MB free of 61.3. Double click that and it will open the contents of that drive.

5.  The easiest thing for me to do here is copy and paste so that I'm not actually removing the file from the drive. If you are moving multiple files, left click the first one, then hold the control button to highlight them all as you click the rest. After you've highlighted the file or files you want, right click to bring up the options menu, then left click "copy".

6. Now you want to paste the files in a place where you know they are stored. If you know how, you can create a folder in Documents or Pictures and paste them there. If you want them really easy to find, just right click "desktop", then left click "paste". The files you chose should now be visible on your home screen with all your program icons.

I'm sure someone here knows an easier or faster way, but that's how I do it

I am dealing with pics.  Probably be picking out  150 out of 2500 pics spread out over 2.5 years.

I can make that happen. Just worried about my thumb content staying in the business PC after I remove the thumb.  

I don't think it will but I am a dummy.

1 hour ago, fedup said:

I am dealing with pics.  Probably be picking out  150 out of 2500 pics spread out over 2.5 years.

I can make that happen. Just worried about my thumb content staying in the business PC after I remove the thumb.  

I don't think it will but I am a dummy.

It shouldn't, the computer won't automatically download the contents of a flash, you will have to tell it which files to transfer. The company would be more concerned about getting a virus from a flash than they would be about seeing your content, so the PC will only take the information you tell it to

32 minutes ago, LFG said:

It shouldn't, the computer won't automatically download the contents of a flash, you will have to tell it which files to transfer. The company would be more concerned about getting a virus from a flash than they would be about seeing your content, so the PC will only take the information you tell it to

Oooook thanks.

And thanks to the others that responded.

2 minutes ago, fedup said:

Oooook thanks.

And thanks to the others that responded.

I'm impressed, Fed. I really thought you would be using a fire and a blanket, or scratching on the walls of a cave or something ;)

1 hour ago, LFG said:

I'm impressed, Fed. I really thought you would be using a fire and a blanket, or scratching on the walls of a cave or something ;)

That's my normal. Figured it would be too complicated for the lawyers.

I had to dummy down my evidence just for them.

Gonna give em the thumb.