What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Georgia School Asks Parents For Permission To Paddle Their Kids As Punishment

Georgia school asks parents for permission to paddle their kids as punishment

Parents were offered a choice: Allow us to paddle your kid or your child is suspended.
by Meghan Holohan / / Source: TODAY

Last week, the Georgia School for Innovation and the Classics sent students home with a form that caused some to balk. The charter kindergarten through ninth grade Christian school asked parents to give the school permission to paddle misbehaving children.

“In this school, we take discipline very seriously,” superintendent Jody Boulineau told Augusta, Georgia's WRDW. The school did not respond to TODAY's requests for an interview or statement.

Discipline
A Georgia school is bringing back paddling to discipline children. Getty Images stock

He said that 100 parents returned the form and about a third of them gave permission for paddling. According to WRDW, the form reads: “A student will be taken into an office behind closed doors. The student will place their hands on their knees or piece of furniture and will be struck on the buttocks with a paddle.”

The punishment will not exceed three swats from a paddle, which is 24-inches in length, ¾ inches thick and six inches wide. If parents do not want their children to be paddled, the child will instead be suspended for five days.

“What bothers me about that is they really have disincentivized parents,” Dr. Deborah Gilboa, a parenting expert, told TODAY. “Allows us to paddle your child … or your child is going to have to miss a week of school and you are going to miss a week of work.”

This makes it difficult for parents to reject the corporal punishment, which research has found simply does not work, she said. Several organizations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), do not support its use. AAP’s position paper, in part, states:

“Corporal punishment may affect adversely a student's self-image and school achievement and that it may contribute to disruptive and violent student behavior. Alternative methods of behavioral management have proved more effective than corporal punishment.”

After being paddled or spanked, students often stop acting badly for a few days afterward because they are afraid. But it doesn’t help them understand how to behave.

“The child is humiliated and angry and the bad behavior can escalate,” Dr. Robert Sege, a spokesperson for AAP and head of the Child Protection Program at Floating Hospital for Children in Boston, told TODAY. “Corporal punishment is humiliating and is designed to be humiliating and that does not help a child develop their own sense of right and wrong and how they should behave.”

What’s more, corporal punishment often teaches children that aggression solves problems.

“Physical punishment against kid overall doesn’t impact their behavior for the better. It does tend to make them more fearful of the adults in their lives and more aggressive toward each other as they see violence a way to deal,” Gilboa said.

While use of corporal punishment has been decreasing nationwide, 20 states still allow it. Sege said when AAP first released its statement against it in 2000, schools used corporal punishment nearly two million times a year. In 2014-2015, that number dipped to 160,000 times.

But, Boulineau told WRDW he’s heard only positive responses.

“I've heard 'Great, it's about time, 'We're so glad that this is happening again, they should've never taken it out of schools,’” he said.

Sege believes that supporters of corporal punishment overstate its popularity and said that surveys show most American parents are not in favor of it. And, research proves that other forms of punishment are more effective at changing bad habits into good ones.

“There are better ways of behavior management that do not undermine student success at school,” he said.                                                                                                                                                                       https://www.today.com/parents/georgia-charter-school-uses-paddling-punish-students-t137284

9 hours ago, lavender said:

I have only one question to ask these researchers, "Were kids and people in general better behaved, politer and more inclined to follow the rules of civilized behavior today or 100 years ago?" I rest my case. 

Then why do so many parents today feel that their kid shouldn't be 'touched' (paddled) ??

Kids have not changed------------parents have, and so have many other dynamics in society, etc....

40 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

Then why do so many parents today feel that their kid shouldn't be 'touched' (paddled) ??

Kids have not changed------------parents have, and so have many other dynamics in society, etc....

An opinion is all I can offer. From what I observed is that many parents want to assume the role of children themselves therefore they cannot embrace or exercise adult authority. They will not discipline their children because that isn't "cool" and no on else is going to do it because they don't have to accept the authority of others. It's the old wail of every child, "I can't wait to grow up so I can do whatever I like." The refuse to accept the responsibility that comes with freedom as the immature so frequently do. Sometimes that responsibility takes unpleasant and difficult forms. 

Another aspect of the the problem is the "entitlement" society that has evolved. Everyone is entitled to behave as he or she wishes and anyone who tries to stop that behaviour is violating his "rights." And of course each child is entitled to have his self esteem elevated despite the fact that he does nothing. Obviously, if Johnny fails math it is the teacher's fault so how dare the teacher criticize him let alone paddle him for not listening in class. This is when the immature parent rushes in to berate the teacher who is the authority figure that bratty children of all ages and sizes hates. Maybe the solution is to paddle the parents. 

I am in my 50's and I was never paddled in school (and only once that I recall from my parents) yet I managed to grow up to be a polite, responsible, functional member of society. I never paddled my children either and both of them are in their 20's and also polite, responsible, functional members of society. If you believe in corporal punishment for children, that's up to you but I agree that it is not the most effective method of disciplining a child. More importantly, I recall that the kids that did get paddled in school were always the same couple of kids. You could just about count on it every week or two one or more of the same half dozen kids were going to get paddled. Doesn't say much for it's efficacy to me.

A kid who needs to be either paddled or suspended probably isn't going to learn from either punishment. 

From a parent's standpoint,  I'd rather my kid get paddled. Because selfishly, I wouldn't want my kid missing 5 days of school work.

9 hours ago, k said:

I am in my 50's and I was never paddled in school (and only once that I recall from my parents) yet I managed to grow up to be a polite, responsible, functional member of society. I never paddled my children either and both of them are in their 20's and also polite, responsible, functional members of society. If you believe in corporal punishment for children, that's up to you but I agree that it is not the most effective method of disciplining a child. More importantly, I recall that the kids that did get paddled in school were always the same couple of kids. You could just about count on it every week or two one or more of the same half dozen kids were going to get paddled. Doesn't say much for it's efficacy to me.

Thank you------your thoughts make sense.  Paddling probably never changed long-term  behavior, but since discipline in the classroom is necessary for any learning to take place, the short-term effect was acceptable for many years. Those few students were kept in control so that others could have a chance to learn.  Once the teacher was no longer allowed to manage the classroom discipline the schools were forced to hire a slew of extra administrative positions to take the place of teacher autonomy, etc...….detentions & suspensions emerged as punishment, and even expulsions, etc...…………...police officers, etc...…………..in short, one affect was a much greater cost to taxpayers.   I will also state that the modern teacher was forced to become more skilled to manage learning-----teachers today are far superior than many of the "old time" teachers. IMO

10 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

Thank you------your thoughts make sense.  Paddling probably never changed long-term  behavior, but since discipline in the classroom is necessary for any learning to take place, the short-term effect was acceptable for many years. Those few students were kept in control so that others could have a chance to learn.  Once the teacher was no longer allowed to manage the classroom discipline the schools were forced to hire a slew of extra administrative positions to take the place of teacher autonomy, etc...….detentions & suspensions emerged as punishment, and even expulsions, etc...…………...police officers, etc...…………..in short, one affect was a much greater cost to taxpayers.   I will also state that the modern teacher was forced to become more skilled to manage learning-----teachers today are far superior than many of the "old time" teachers. IMO

My time as a high school student must have been at the height of everything you describe.  Paddlings and suspensions were common.  I must admit I was an unwilling participant in both.  Certainly deserved, not desired.  Some how I managed to reach my advanced age without life long issues from being punished for my youthful indiscretions.

14 minutes ago, hipower said:

My time as a high school student must have been at the height of everything you describe.  Paddlings and suspensions were common.  I must admit I was an unwilling participant in both.  Certainly deserved, not desired.  Some how I managed to reach my advanced age without life long issues from being punished for my youthful indiscretions.

Remember, this is in GA. There are some things paddling won't fix

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, hipower said:

Apparently she is a great example of entering life from the shallow end of the gene pool.

The only deep end of Georgia is Savannah, everything else is 3 feet or less