VOTE FOR PROVEN CONSERVATIVE LEADERS ON NOV. 6TH!

GoDuBois.com
jt85

DuBois Area High School Closed

40 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

And if they constantly ran the AC people would be mad because they as tax payers are paying for AC to run when nobody is at the school. 

So how do you suggest they eliminate the mold issue then??

Standing water/constant moisture, humidity, oxygen, and heat is the recipe for mold growth. Three of those need eliminated and obviously oxygen isn't one of them.

You either pay thousands of $$ to some company to constantly eradicate the mold or pay thousands of $$ to run the HVAC system year around.

This isn't the first Spring/Summer that Pennsylvania has experienced these high rain, high heat, and high humidity conditions. They have been happening long before schools were ever air conditioned.

3 minutes ago, NikonSniper said:

So how do you suggest they eliminate the mold issue then??

Standing water/constant moisture, humidity, oxygen, and heat is the recipe for mold growth. Three of those need eliminated and obviously oxygen isn't one of them.

You either pay thousands of $$ to some company to constantly eradicate the mold or pay thousands of $$ to run the HVAC system year around.

This isn't the first Spring/Summer that Pennsylvania has experienced these high rain, high heat, and high humidity conditions. They have been happening long before schools were ever air conditioned.

I have no issue with them running the AC. I was just saying that if they did then people would complain about that too. I think they should run it.

44 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I have no issue with them running the AC. I was just saying that if they did then people would complain about that too. I think they should run it.

Just another reason the school year should be longer and the buildings utilized more.  If we are going to air condition the buildings and maintain the air quality/humidity year round then we should use the buildings year round.  One or two week breaks at various times throughout the year might work while not actually extending the time required annually beyond the current 180 days.  Note: Don't everyone go off on a rant here, I'm just thinking out loud.  A practice that is often dangerous.

25 minutes ago, hipower said:

Just another reason the school year should be longer and the buildings utilized more.  If we are going to air condition the buildings and maintain the air quality/humidity year round then we should use the buildings year round.  One or two week breaks at various times throughout the year might work while not actually extending the time required annually beyond the current 180 days.  Note: Don't everyone go off on a rant here, I'm just thinking out loud.  A practice that is often dangerous.

TA DAH

Even if there is ranting.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

This is one more thing that should have been checked in the weeks before school started.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Wasn't something done with the roof this summer?  If it was leaking before, then that may be where it started.

Friends of mine were in the process of buying a house but pulled up the insulation in the attic.  It was solid black underneath from an old leak that had been fixed.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

On 9/14/2018 at 11:38 AM, Petee said:

This is one more thing that should have been checked in the weeks before school started.

Molds and fungus are ubiquitous in the environment.  If a professional air quality service air and surface sampled your home, you would find enough CFUs (colony forming units)  to make you want to go bleach yourself.  The arrive from your yard, on your shoes, produce from the store, on those Amazon prime boxes, and even waft in gently on the summer breeze.  Spores can be difficult to eradicate...normal household cleaners just do not work.  Even bleach requires a fairly significant wet contact time to wipe out the buggers. That quick wipe with the Lysol towelette that then dries in 30 seconds did almost nothing.  A bit of moisture and some food and it is party time!! (Kind of like uncontrolled college students.)

Just because you checked weeks before doesn't mean a problem won't develop after the building becomes filled with thousands of people moving in, out, and around, bringing with them not only the buggers, but causing increases in moisture and humidity just by performing daily activities.  It really only takes a small amount of spore-forming colonies to cause a significant increase in air borne spores. I don't know for sure, but I bet the air quality at many schools is sampled at least a few times over the course of the year and not just once annually.

2 hours ago, jaman said:

Bleach only gets the surface.  More effective is one part vinegar to part hydrogen peroxide mix. let soak and dry.

Lowe's & Home Depot sells 5 gallon jugs of that stuff.  Costs $13.  When I sold a house, there was a small (less than the size of a dime) area of mold on a sump pump pipe.  Buyer had me get a reclamation company to spray down the basement and they charged me $1,240.  $1,227 more than it would have cost to do it myself...*sigh*

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

But they will get moldy sitting around during this damp weather.

DAT DARE is FUNNNNNEEEEE.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

10 hours ago, Harvey Mungaknuts said:

So Oklahoma had mold but remained open.  Wonder what the middle school is like with all the additional students  in there now.

The presence of mold is not the only indicator.  Among the factors include species, air quality (spore count), location, and general distribution.