DuBois Kiwanis 2019 Diner's Club Coupon Book!

GoDuBois.com
jt85

DuBois Area High School Closed

12 hours ago, Petee said:

The mold probably grew in a damp spot somewhere other than the classroom unless there was a consistent water leak in the room.  The pores can travel through the air in ducts and grow wherever they find enough moisture.  It may have been from the roof or the basement also.

I was talking to a Middle School teacher last night.  She said in her room, there are 2 buckets catching water from a leaky roof.  Both buckets have are covered with mold.  I'm not a scientist, but that sounds like a possible source. 

10 hours ago, sunflake said:

Why aren't any other school districts in the area finding mold?  Why just Dubois?

It's been a huge problem in Western PA. A quick google search will show quite a few schools in PA are experiencing the same issue or had to delay the start of their school year to handle mold issues. 

7 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

They are. Huntingdon school district was closed a couple days and there was another one but I can't remember who.

I think State College, Philipsburg and Armstrong County were three more that I heard of.

2 hours ago, Cacao said:

I was talking to a Middle School teacher last night.  She said in her room, there are 2 buckets catching water from a leaky roof.  Both buckets have are covered with mold.  I'm not a scientist, but that sounds like a possible source. 

Even without a PhD I would think it would occur to one to empty said buckets to alleviate that particular source or at least lower the spore count. Or at least call the janitor to do it. 

A good building has a solid roof, good drainage around it and no water leaking into the basement.  Then comes the problem of having water in the building WITHOUT leaks.  

A friend was just telling me that her parents' home will be unlivable for the next 4 weeks (and yes, they have been sick) because of a leaky water supply hose going to their icemaker in the refrigerator.  Apparently it has been spraying a fine mist from a pinhole for long enough to soak through the porous floor, into the subfloor, and across the rooms in the house under the floors.  So far, it's a $30,000 insurance bill and it could get higher.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

22 minutes ago, lavender said:

Even without a PhD I would think it would occur to one to empty said buckets to alleviate that particular source or at least lower the spore count. Or at least call the janitor to do it. 

Better yet...fix the roof, the root cause. 

No real surprise at the increase in mold.  I have noticed an increase in the fungi growing on trees on my property.  Due to the continual wet, humid conditions, the mold and fungi are out in full bloom.  Even if you clean one week, the area could easily be recolonized the following week.  Even moisture leftover from a cleaning can invite the buggers to take up residence once again.  Air quality tests generally test for spores in the air.  A small colony residing in the drip tray of your fridge can emit enough spores to fail tests.  As these entities really love cardboard, that damp cardboard box from Amazon you still have sitting around could be growing stuff between the flaps that you don't even see.  The grass encrusted mowing sneaking are probably transporting an army of illegal immigrants into your home.  Into gardening?  Those gardening clothes, not to mention the veggies you bring inside, are ideal transportation to your inside for freeloading hitchhikers of the undesirable kind.