What is "MY LOCAL MENUS" All About?? >> CLICK HERE

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Turd Ferguson

Street legal ATV

My wife and I met a large group of at least 10 ATV's that passed by us on the highway late last night.  Has Pennsylvania revised the laws about operating such vehicles on public roadways?  We have thought about getting one of the new side-by-side ATV's that looks like an old Jeep, but we wanted to be able to drive it on the road instead of just around our property?  Are there any clubs or groups around that new owners could join up with to participate in these types of rides?

29 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

My wife and I met a large group of at least 10 ATV's that passed by us on the highway late last night.  Has Pennsylvania revised the laws about operating such vehicles on public roadways?  We have thought about getting one of the new side-by-side ATV's that looks like an old Jeep, but we wanted to be able to drive it on the road instead of just around our property?  Are there any clubs or groups around that new owners could join up with to participate in these types of rides?

New Pennsylvania laws for 2018 allow golf carts on roads

Senate Bill 785 allows certain low-speed utility vehicles, like those used for maintaining golf courses, resorts and college campuses, to be driven up to 1 mile on public roads even if they aren't registered with the state like a regular motor vehicle. Fire, police and EMS all-terrain vehicles can go up to two miles on a public highway and can use lights and sirens. 

Golf carts, which previously weren't defined in the state's Vehicle Code, will be allowed to cross public highways even if not involved in a game of golf. Golf carts can be driven by anyone over the age of 12, but drivers under 16 can't cross a highway unless supervised by someone over 18. 

The golf cart and utility vehicle law takes effect Jan. 29. 

https://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/13136389-74/new-pennsylvania-laws-for-2018-expand-gambling-allow-golf-carts-on-roads

From what i have seen PSP and some local PD's have become very lax the last 5 or so years on enforcing the ATV/UTV laws for them on the public roads. As long as they are not going high speed, showing off, or causing trouble they have been turning a blind eye.

Unlike in my younger days I gave a few donations to the PSP Summer and Winter Extravaganzas for being on the roads.

Some township roads and boroughs like reynoldsville, atvs are legal.  I don't think you can drive one on a state road legally except the above exceptions.  Most cops probably won't chase them though since not worth someone dying over since almost all won t stop.

When we passed them - they were going pretty fast and the music was blaring.  For a minute, we thought we were in a Mad Max movie.  I don't think we would be running like that anyway if we were to travel down a public road, but since it's not legal we will probably skip it.  This group looked pretty wild since they were on the road running this way after 10:30 pm.  As far as not stopping when confronted with the PSP or local police - I guess they just feel like they can do whatever they want?  

even if you  are running on a twwp road or in Reynoldsville streets you are required to have a DCNR plate and liabilaty  insurance. In Reynoldsville you also must take you atv to the city garage to be checked out and issued a permit to ride on town streets.

Just curious what road it was as I was out with a group last night An about that big, An if you are thinking about the roxor UTV yes in time they will be able to be made road legal.  It a matter of some add ons and a liscensed inspection station. Awesome machine the drive just like a jeep.   That atv’s/utvs yes there is a fine line a lot of us walk when going on the roads but common sense an respect has been doing us ok with the police An if they put there lights on we stop.  Myself An some friends have been talking to some Jefferson county twps about opening roads it’s gonna be a long process.