DuBois Kiwanis 2019 Diner's Club Coupon Book!

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
THX

Gas Mileage

Winter gas is more volatile and evaporates more quickly, so it is ideal for it is used in the colder air of winter.

In terms of gas mileage, you get better mileage on summer blends than winter blends because the summer blend gasoline has about 2% greater energy value than winter 

1) "Take off is optional....landing is mandatory"

2)  Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

On 10/1/2018 at 7:43 PM, THX said:

I'm pretty sure they did the switch , but not certain.

I don't know if they made the transition or not.  We went to SC over the weekend and our mileage was 16.72 to 17.25 in my Chevy Silverado , which is about one mpg higher than what I usually get around here.  A result easily explained by nearly all highway miles and lower than it could have been, because I drive much faster than I probably should.  At least according to my dear wife.

9 hours ago, hipower said:

I don't know if they made the transition or not.  We went to SC over the weekend and our mileage was 16.72 to 17.25 in my Chevy Silverado , which is about one mpg higher than what I usually get around here.  A result easily explained by nearly all highway miles and lower than it could have been, because I drive much faster than I probably should.  At least according to my dear wife.

You also have to factor in quality of gas too.

12 hours ago, THX said:

I often hear people say that is a factor and have a difficult time supporting that thinking.  I have and still do traveled a lot around the country and buy gas from many outlets and suppliers and find very little difference from one to the other.  The difference over the years has been a tenth or two of a mpg and that is easily attributed to speed, traffic and terrain more so than brand of gas.  In addition I have seen the lineup of tankers filling at refineries and tank farm around the country.  They don't have different hoses for a truck with a different name on the door and there is no magic mixer in the hose to provide something exotic for each truck.  Like all things in manufacturing there is a specification to be met and a tolerance within the spec, but there tolerance is pretty narrow and has minimal affect on mileage for gasoline in my experience.

3 hours ago, hipower said:

I often hear people say that is a factor and have a difficult time supporting that thinking.  I have and still do traveled a lot around the country and buy gas from many outlets and suppliers and find very little difference from one to the other.  The difference over the years has been a tenth or two of a mpg and that is easily attributed to speed, traffic and terrain more so than brand of gas.  In addition I have seen the lineup of tankers filling at refineries and tank farm around the country.  They don't have different hoses for a truck with a different name on the door and there is no magic mixer in the hose to provide something exotic for each truck.  Like all things in manufacturing there is a specification to be met and a tolerance within the spec, but there tolerance is pretty narrow and has minimal affect on mileage for gasoline in my experience.

I would say mom and pop gas station have better fuel only because they wait until their tanks are nearly empty  to refill and not adding to the ethanol  thats already in tanks like Sheetz.

18 minutes ago, THX said:

I would say mom and pop gas station have better fuel only because they wait until their tanks are nearly empty  to refill and not adding to the ethanol  thats already in tanks like Sheetz.

That would suggest that some how the gas pumped doesn't actually contain the 10% ethanol as claimed thereby increasing the gasoline component.  Does the ethanol separate from the gasoline while in the tanks?  Since they are similar molecularly (?), that seems highly unlikely.  Ethanol is more likely to evaporate and escape from the tanks via the stack vents than remain behind in the tanks as you suggest.  I would think that if significant amounts of ethanol remain in tanks, already questionable, that those tanks refilled more often would benefit from the frequent refilling which would stir up and remix the residual ethanol.  My concern would be worrying about more water in the tanks than the ethanol component changing during storage.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:09 PM, THX said:

Gasoline is a fungible commodity, meaning it is manufactured (refined) to a common standard and is sent through the same pipelines.  Upon reaching its destination, various companies will add detergents and other secret ingredients.  However, the brand companies will buy and trade with each other due simple economics of storage and distribution.

Winter fuel contains lighter hydrocarbons, which vaporize easier to help start your car on cold winter days.  Like wine, gas begins to oxidize when exposed to the air.  The more empty your tank, the more air available to cause decay.  Ethanol is hydrophilic, which means the more water that will be absorbed by your fuel.  Therefore, when buying fuel, you are better off buying from a station with high turnover of fuel. As components vaporize away, gas can start to seperate and form gums, which clog fuel systems.