GoDuBois.com
Bon

Man Accused of Stealing Lawn Mower, Running Over Woman’s Foot with His Vehicle

Man Accused of Stealing Lawn Mower, Running Over Woman’s Foot with His Vehicle Faces Preliminary Hearing

December 13, 2018 1:50 am·
Author: Aly Delp

shutterstock_1175298715-gavel.jpgWASHINGTON TWP., Pa. (EYT) – A hearing will be held next week for a 55-year-old man accused of stealing a lawnmower and other items and then running over a woman’s foot with his vehicle as she attempted to stop him.

Court documents indicate 55-year-old Timothy Jay Britton, of Falls Creek, is scheduled to stand for a preliminary hearing in front of Magisterial District Judge David B. Inzana at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, December 20.

Britton faces the following charges:

• Robbery-Take Property From Other by Force, Felony 3
  • Theft By Unlawful Taking-Movable Property, Misdemeanor 2
  • Harassment – Subject Other to Physical Contact, Summary

According to a criminal complaint, around 5:30 p.m. on September 27, Trooper Caputo, of the DuBois-based State Police, was dispatched to investigate an incident that occurred at a residence on Airport Road in Washington Township, Jefferson County.

The known victim was transported to Penn Highlands DuBois Emergency Room prior to Trooper Caputo’s arrival at the scene. He interviewed her at Penn Highlands DuBois Emergency Room.

According to the complaint, the victim related that she had sold Timothy Britton a riding lawn mower a few days prior to the incident. Britton came to her residence on September 27 and wanted to return the mower to her because it would not run. The victim told Britton that he purchased the mower “as is,” and she did not have any money to give him for the mower either way.

The victim reported that Britton then shoved her out of his way, knocking her to the ground, causing her to hit her head off of a Rubbermaid tote. He then took a Troy Bilt 6.5 horsepower mulcher/bagger self-propelled lawn mower, a small air compressor, and a small gas can.

According to the complaint, the victim said she attempted to stop Britton again, and he continued to push her away with his forearms. She said she then stood alongside his vehicle as he attempted to back out of the driveway. She yelled in his window that he was not allowed to take the items.

The complaint notes that while backing out of the driveway, Britton backed over the victim’s right foot with the front driver’s side tire of his vehicle.

The victim also reported that the mower stolen belonged to her nephew who loaned it to her to use, and she related this information to Britton, who continued to remove the mower from the property.

Based on the investigation, Britton was arraigned on Saturday, October 20, in Magisterial District Judge Douglas Robert Chambers’s office.

He remains free on $50,000.00 unsecured bail.                                                                                                                                       http://www.explorejeffersonpa.com/man-accused-of-stealing-lawn-mower-running-over-womans-foot-with-his-vehicle-faces-preliminary-hearing/

3 hours ago, BillyC said:

Just saw on the magistrates report that the charges have been sent over to the Jefferson County court. Hmmm.

Magistrates generally only handle summary, and some minor misdemeanors.   In the case of felony and higher misdemeanors the magistrate only serves as a bail setter, arraignment, and to hold a preliminary hearing(to see if there is evidence and if the charges apply, sorta like a grand jury hearing).    If there is evidence and the charges apply, the magistrate then moves the proceedings to Court of Common Pleas. 

Yes. I am familiar with the court system but i was just stating the "hmmm" to be sarcastic. Can't really express my feelings on this situation on GoDubois however. 

"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""

Guest Guest

People love to attack what they know nothing about.  This man has done so much for the community.  They're are always issues in business and never are the details disclosed,  only negative chatter.  People that aren't successful hate successful people.  I'm surprised how quickly people believe rumor and innuendo without facts. 

10 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

People love to attack what they know nothing about.  This man has done so much for the community.  They're are always issues in business and never are the details disclosed,  only negative chatter.  People that aren't successful hate successful people.  I'm surprised how quickly people believe rumor and innuendo without facts. 

I DO know what i'm talking about. I've known the person for over 30 years.

"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""