The Debate / Political Club grand opening is 11/07/18 Read more... ×
GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Oscar Mayer Said A Hot Dog Is A Sandwich

2 hours ago, lavender said:

Probably afraid that he will end up at the wrong end of the bucket, although he is probably secure in the knowledge that the only way I could learn to operate it is with written instructions and then it is doubtful. Klutz here. That is why I keep him around. 

I learned how to run one burying cows. It doesn't have to be pretty, just deep. Same concept

3 hours ago, Dobby said:

Well, they are wrong. A hot dog is a hot dog & A hamburger is a hamburger & A sandwich is whatever a person slaps together between 2 slices of bread. Proof is the end result of hotdog buns, hamburger buns, & bread.

Your thinking here is fraught with holes.

First, there is no difference between the primary ingredients in bread and buns. Hence, it's all bread.

Second, since most hamburger buns are completely sliced, that makes them glorified bread. Therefore, it's a sandwich.

Third, even if you try to qualify a hot dog "bun" as different because it isn't fully sliced, your terminology then must change when it rips at the back. At that point, you're suggesting that it magically transforms into two free-floating pieces of bread which, by your definition, makes it a sandwich. (I could see someone here attempting to use duct tape to prevent that from happening but...that's another issue)

:toofun:

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

10 minutes ago, Vader said:

Third, even if you try to qualify a hot dog "bun" as different because it isn't fully sliced, your terminology then must change when it rips at the back. At that point, you're suggesting that it magically transforms into two free-floating pieces of bread which, by your definition, makes it a sandwich. (I could see someone here attempting to use duct tape to prevent that from happening but...that's another issue)

No magic involved, and this is precisely what I said in the historic thread. If you want to call a hot dog a sandwich, rip the bun. It's not magic, it's physics :arghh:

And a hamburger is a hamburger, period. Unless, of course, you put the meat into an undivided hot dog bun. Then it's a hamburger hot dog 

3 hours ago, Dobby said:

Well, they are wrong. A hot dog is a hot dog & A hamburger is a hamburger & A sandwich is whatever a person slaps together between 2 slices of bread. Proof is the end result of hotdog buns, hamburger buns, & bread.

So close young padawan. Hot dog buns mean that the filling is irrelevant. You can have a marshmallow and chocolate hot dog, but it's still a hot dog.

The reverse is true for hamburger buns, a hamburger bun filled with anything but a beef patty is a sandwich.

Loaf bread can only be called a hot dog in one specific case; if a single slice is folded to hold filling. This is only true if the bread stays in one piece, if it splits you have a small sandwich

Screenshot_20181107-181638.png

Screenshot_20181107-181701.png

Dobby

4 hours ago, LFG said:

No magic involved, and this is precisely what I said in the historic thread. If you want to call a hot dog a sandwich, rip the bun. It's not magic, it's physics :arghh:

And a hamburger is a hamburger, period. Unless, of course, you put the meat into an undivided hot dog bun. Then it's a hamburger hot dog 

Sorry, it's not physics either. It's...semantics. And, no, you were steadfastly against the idea of a hot dog being a sandwich regardless of the state, or the amount of slices, of the bread in that historic thread.

giphy.gif

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

18 hours ago, LFG said:

So close young padawan. Hot dog buns mean that the filling is irrelevant. You can have a marshmallow and chocolate hot dog, but it's still a hot dog.

The reverse is true for hamburger buns, a hamburger bun filled with anything but a beef patty is a sandwich.

Loaf bread can only be called a hot dog in one specific case; if a single slice is folded to hold filling. This is only true if the bread stays in one piece, if it splits you have a small sandwich

You can have your weird bread arrangements but a hot dog filled with chocolate and marshmallow is not a hot dog. A hot mess maybe. We know these things courtesy of Palumbo's where they do interesting things with meat.  Did you know that DuBois is the home of the peanut butter hot dog? 

8 hours ago, mr.d said:

What sounds better ---I would like a  Hot Dog or Hot Dog sandwich?

What sounds best is .......I would like a steak sandwich with fried onions and peppers on sourdough bread. Top it with a bit of horseradish sauce, please. Don't try to insert reason into this Mr. D. I've tried. It will just give you a headache. 

14 hours ago, Vader said:

Sorry, it's not physics either. It's...semantics. And, no, you were steadfastly against the idea of a hot dog being a sandwich regardless of the state, or the amount of slices, of the bread in that historic thread.

giphy.gif

How quickly you forget. I clearly laid out guidelines for creating a hot dog sandwich. Properly done would also include the slicing of the weenie in half (calm down hipower).

22 minutes ago, lavender said:

You can have your weird bread arrangements but a hot dog filled with chocolate and marshmallow is not a hot dog. A hot mess maybe. We know these things courtesy of Palumbo's where they do interesting things with meat.  Did you know that DuBois is the home of the peanut butter hot dog? 

To borrow a phrase from Bob, "you are hoist by your own petard".

Ok, peanut butter hot dog to you, I assume, means peanut butter on a traditional hot dog. Remove the weenie and it's still a peanut butter hot dog. You would think the town that created it would know such things, but given the accepted pronunciation of said town by the locals, I am not one bit surprised

2 minutes ago, LFG said:

To borrow a phrase from Bob, "you are hoist by your own petard".

Ok, peanut butter hot dog to you, I assume, means peanut butter on a traditional hot dog. Remove the weenie and it's still a peanut butter hot dog. You would think the town that created it would know such things, but given the accepted pronunciation of said town by the locals, I am not one bit surprised

You are hoisted by your own incorrect assumptions which is much more painful at least psychologically than being hoisted by a petard. Mr. Palumbo and crew did indeed create a peanut butter hot dog that incorporated the peanut butter into the filling. It was best with jam or jelly served on the traditional bun. 

If memory serves the idea was first suggested on this forum. They were in the stores for awhile and the story went nationwide. It kind of fizzled. OK, so they weren't actually that tasty just weird.

It may be I am reading it incorrectly but are you saying that a bun with peanut butter sans wiener is still a hot dog? Surely you jest! A man is not defined by clothing nor is food defined by its accouterments. An apple is still an apple even if you coat it with taffy and a crown doesn't make a king. 

1 minute ago, lavender said:

You are hoisted by your own incorrect assumptions which is much more painful at least psychologically than being hoisted by a petard. Mr. Palumbo and crew did indeed create a peanut butter hot dog that incorporated the peanut butter into the filling. It was best with jam or jelly served on the traditional bun. 

If memory serves the idea was first suggested on this forum. They were in the stores for awhile and the story went nationwide. It kind of fizzled. OK, so they weren't actually that tasty just weird.

It may be I am reading it incorrectly but are you saying that a bun with peanut butter sans wiener is still a hot dog? Surely you jest! A man is not defined by clothing nor is food defined by its accouterments. An apple is still an apple even if you coat it with taffy and a crown doesn't make a king. 

But if you slice that apple and put it in a hot dog bun you have an apple hot dog :arghh:

Just now, LFG said:

But if you slice that apple and put it in a hot dog bun you have an apple hot dog :arghh:

Only if accompanied by a wiener. And why isn't that spelled weiner? It should be. I wan't the bun toasted and some caramel sauce on top. Maybe a few pecans. You can't put odds and ends into a hot dog bun and call it a hot dog unless an actual hot dog is present. The bun takes its name from the traditional filling, the hot dog, not the other way around. You can't put chicken salad in a hamburger bun and call it a hamburger. You have already stated that the latter is just a sandwich. Rules must apply to all. 

4 minutes ago, lavender said:

Only if accompanied by a wiener. And why isn't that spelled weiner? It should be. I wan't the bun toasted and some caramel sauce on top. Maybe a few pecans. You can't put odds and ends into a hot dog bun and call it a hot dog unless an actual hot dog is present. The bun takes its name from the traditional filling, the hot dog, not the other way around. You can't put chicken salad in a hamburger bun and call it a hamburger. You have already stated that the latter is just a sandwich. Rules must apply to all. 

Well, it's a lovely story, and you tell it so well, but you are sorely mistaken.

Look at your own post. You said weiner. You could have also said frankfurter, frank, or any other phallic literation, but for the bread there is only "hot dog bun". Fill it with gravel and sawdust and you have a gravel and sawdust hot dog :arghh:

39 minutes ago, LFG said:

How quickly you forget. I clearly laid out guidelines for creating a hot dog sandwich. Properly done would also include the slicing of the weenie in half (calm down hipower).

Let's just grind that dog up and spread it on bread, then we have the infamous, unidentifiable "sandwich spread".

49 minutes ago, hipower said:

Let's just grind that dog up and spread it on bread, then we have the infamous, unidentifiable "sandwich spread".

This is acceptable

3 hours ago, LFG said:

Well, it's a lovely story, and you tell it so well, but you are sorely mistaken.

Look at your own post. You said weiner. You could have also said frankfurter, frank, or any other phallic literation, but for the bread there is only "hot dog bun". Fill it with gravel ans sawdust and you have a gravel and sawdust hot dog :arghh:

See you spell it with an "e" too. Sounds German to me. I said wiener because too many "hot dogs" make for confusion or a picnic and it is too cold for the picnic.  Nickles bakery does indeed make a "wiener" bun. http://www.nicklesbakery.com/products/productDetails.php?id=1509 And then there is the infamous Chinese hot dog bun that wraps around the hotdog. https://thewoksoflife.com/2015/03/chinese-hot-dog-buns/  In New England they eat the famous frankfurter bun  https://www.kayem.com/products/premium-split-top-new-england-style-frankfurter-buns/ Except for the Chinese one they look just like hot dog buns. I threw the Chinese one just to confuse the issue. 

A hot dog bun as a phallic symbol is kind of "lame."  Isn't it? :D

3 hours ago, hipower said:

Let's grind it up, add mayonnaise and relish and put it on a split hot dog bun. Now what is it?

3 hours ago, LFG said:

This is acceptable

Do they actually eat that stuff elsewhere? I thought it was just some weird thing that granny thought up to clog everyone's arteries. We only eat it under cover of darkness. 

20 hours ago, lavender said:

Let's grind it up, add mayonnaise and relish and put it on a split hot dog bun. Now what is it?

Do they actually eat that stuff elsewhere? I thought it was just some weird thing that granny thought up to clog everyone's arteries. We only eat it under cover of darkness

1. A hot dog salad hot dog. It's such an easy concept, why you can't grasp it is beyond me :arghh:

2. Required nourishment on a boat

20 hours ago, TD said:

Well, a dog on a stick becomes a "Corn Dog" and they are very tasty. No?

I've eaten a few over the years, but wouldn't call them exactly tasty.  Some folks apparently like them since they are readily available, but there is no accounting for taste.

1 hour ago, LFG said:

1. A hot dog salad hot dog. It's such an easy concept, why you can't grasp it is beyond me :arghh:

2. Required nourishment on a boat

Because we grind up bologna or leftover ham.  I can grasp it I just can't condone it. A hot dog is a finished product while the other two are more readily converted into some other artery clogging substance. 

But is it still a hot dog or is it a sandwich since it is on a split bun despite the fact that it is a ground up hot dog?

Ok, how about "beanie wienee"  on a bun?  Do the baked beans and cut up pieces of hot dog aid the admittance to sandwichdom?

I have to add a truly great morning sandwich:  first you need some left over egg foo yung, next toast two pieces of bread, slather the bread with mayo (NOT MIRACLE WHIP), put egg foo yung on the toast aling with a left over slab of bacon.  Hall of fame sammich.

Remember:  always make enough of the right stuff for leftovers and throw the wrong stuff away.

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....