GoDuBois.com
blueskylady

DASD Superintendent ... What’s up?

I think it's hilarious that the DASD community is up in arms about the earlier start date (two whopping days)  but we have not heard one peep out of Brockway as they are doing the same thing.  And, I'm sure we won't hear anything but praise when the students are dismissed for the year as it's currently scheduled for May 26. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest 123 said:

This is true; however, it is my understanding that the teachers still have those days, only the week prior to that (Week of August 12th).  Now, I could be mistaken - can anyone clarify this?  It was my impression that by moving the "during the year" in service days to the beginning of the year, it will act as a cushion for snow days that will inevitably appear.

No. The scheduled Inservice days are Aug 19-22 with 3 more scheduled within the school year. If you go to the DASD website and click in Events, then Calendar, then on the side click on Printable 2019-2020 school calendar. You will see all of the scheduled days for the whole year.

16 minutes ago, L8RG8R said:

I think it's hilarious that the DASD community is up in arms about the earlier start date (two whopping days)  but we have not heard one peep out of Brockway as they are doing the same thing.  And, I'm sure we won't hear anything but praise when the students are dismissed for the year as it's currently scheduled for May 26. 

It simple.  Brockway doesn't have a PR issue.  Brockway does not have the history of spending, closing buildings, re-sale questions, etc that DASD has.  Therefore, the perception of the taxpayers in the BASD is much more positive.  They can handle a decision such as that one.  There is no trust between DASD and their taxpayers.  

1 hour ago, Cacao said:

It simple.  Brockway doesn't have a PR issue.  Brockway does not have the history of spending, closing buildings, re-sale questions, etc that DASD has.  Therefore, the perception of the taxpayers in the BASD is much more positive.  They can handle a decision such as that one.  There is no trust between DASD and their taxpayers.  

This was caused in DuBois because they have given the school board way too much power.  It doesn't matter who the administrators are, who the teachers are, who the secretaries are, who the coaches are, if the board doesn't like them, they're gone.  They do what they want when they want no matter if the employee is doing a good job or not.  School boards are there to make decisions as a governing board such as hiring, budgetary issues, spending, etc.  They are not there to run the individual schools and departments by micromanaging.

Guest Guest123
1 hour ago, Sanibel said:

No. The scheduled Inservice days are Aug 19-22 with 3 more scheduled within the school year. If you go to the DASD website and click in Events, then Calendar, then on the side click on Printable 2019-2020 school calendar. You will see all of the scheduled days for the whole year.

Thank you for the correction.

2 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

I don't care about what Brockway does. My kids don't go there and people aren't exactly up In arms. Friday just seems like a dumb day to start school. Monday seems more realistic.

4 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I don't care about what Brockway does. My kids don't go there and people aren't exactly up In arms. Friday just seems like a dumb day to start school. Monday seems more realistic.

They could always start on Monday the 19th.

1 hour ago, L8RG8R said:

This was caused in DuBois because they have given the school board way too much power.  It doesn't matter who the administrators are, who the teachers are, who the secretaries are, who the coaches are, if the board doesn't like them, they're gone.  They do what they want when they want no matter if the employee is doing a good job or not.  School boards are there to make decisions as a governing board such as hiring, budgetary issues, spending, etc.  They are not there to run the individual schools and departments by micromanaging.

Too much power?  They have the same amount of "power" as any other school districts.  DASD has poor tact on how they manage that power.  

Yes, it does matter who the administrators (Superintendent) are.  They are the ones who manage the schools/departments and make budgetary, hiring, spending and planning proposals to the board.

23 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Too much power?  They have the same amount of "power" as any other school districts.  DASD has poor tact on how they manage that power.  

Yes, it does matter who the administrators (Superintendent) are.  They are the ones who manage the schools/departments and make budgetary, hiring, spending and planning proposals to the board.

What you are saying is how it works with typical school boards.  Not in DuBois.

Okay this is my opinion...if you have vacation planned GO. Next year you will be aware that school will be starting early. It’s the same when people complain about school not being cancelled when they think the roads are too bad, then keep your kids at home! So go on vacation, they will only miss one day. There are sooooo many more important things to worry about. And if you don’t like the way the school district is run...RUN FOR SCHOOL BOARD. 

What would you do if you lived in some of these states that start school in the middle of August??

:ps:

6 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

This was caused in DuBois because they have given the school board way too much power.  It doesn't matter who the administrators are, who the teachers are, who the secretaries are, who the coaches are, if the board doesn't like them, they're gone....

BINGO!!!!!

5 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

What you are saying is how it works with typical school boards.  Not in DuBois.

Again, BINGO!!!!!

10 hours ago, falsecreek said:

the board members ran for a seat to embelish their own interests sadly . the facade of caring for the district is almost transparent and has been proven time and time again. Supt here is like a king and ( his/her)  court .  Let us elect a Supt ,as well . Conman will jump all over this , NO I AM NOT RUNNING EITHER . I DO HAVE A FREE OPINION LIKE ALL OTHERS HERE.

And  opinions are not facts. Do yoi have ANY comprehension of what a school boards does? Do you have any insite to the amount of work that goes into the position? As for personal gain, their is none. 

13 hours ago, Intheknow said:

What or who do you think the "swamp" is???  IMO the swamp is a majority of the school board.  There isn't a Superintendent anywhere who can fix the broken system until the school board allows the employees to do what they are trained to do.  The leadership on this school board has been terrible for several years and recently took an even bigger step backwards.

There are what-----300 educational employees  ??   That number of employees can get ANYONE elected to a school board that they want...…………...time they stop being their own worst enemy.....

12 hours ago, falsecreek said:

the board members ran for a seat to embelish their own interests sadly . the facade of caring for the district is almost transparent and has been proven time and time again. Supt here is like a king and ( his/her)  court .  Let us elect a Supt ,as well . Conman will jump all over this , NO I AM NOT RUNNING EITHER . I DO HAVE A FREE OPINION LIKE ALL OTHERS HERE.

LOL---------BUT, the board is an exact reflection of the local voters who elected them...…………………….

12 hours ago, jaman said:

The next best thing is to  vote off most of the school board. perfect example why PA needs to go to a County administration.

yeah right------99% of the local citizens don't even know who is running for board, or don't care.  You'd be lucky if 20% even voted.     School boards are direct democracy in action.  The communities get exactly the kind of board they deserve to have.  Nothing wrong with that, is there ??

11 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

HMMMMM???...….sounds like a community problem, not a 'board' problem....??

11 hours ago, Cacao said:

the taxpayers elect the board-------------time they look in the mirror.....

9 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

no----the voters caused the problem----THEY hire the board.

Conman has made some excellent points, and today's local citizens need to explore district history, particularly the consolidation issues of the 60's:  to gain support of outlying municipalities, such as Sykesville, Reynoldsville, etc., promises had to be made to gain support.  The surrounding communities were majorly concerned about losing their unique identities, hence promises were made and kept, through which an excessive number of elementary schools were built for those communities.  With each building, you had staff instead of enjoying the immediate targeted consolidated goals.  Each of those individual buildings has contributed to today's financial burden.  

Some 45 to 50 years later, the district is now doing what should have been done decades earlier.   

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

9 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

the taxpayers elect the board-------------time they look in the mirror.....

Well aware of that.  I believe that both board and administration need to go another step further and bring community ideas/discussion into the equation prior to the final decision being made.  Everyone likes to think that they matter.  It would be a major step forward to calming the DASD image problem.

40 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Well aware of that.  I believe that both board and administration need to go another step further and bring community ideas/discussion into the equation prior to the final decision being made.  Everyone likes to think that they matter.  It would be a major step forward to calming the DASD image problem.

That's what our elected officials job is.  If someone from their region has an idea for discussion, then contact the individual that you elected and it is their responsibility to address it if they see fit.  

55 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Though your suggestion is one I would agree with, in a practical sense, it has a fatal flaw:  the most vocal are those that, for one reason or another, feel aggrieved by some "affront" done to them or their children.  This doesn't necessarily have to be in school, it could happen at one of the social clubs in the city, or a firehouse, or one of the summer sports teams.

School is not a business, though the managers must be fiscally responsible. 

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.