GoDuBois.com

Knox Gelatin Good for What Ails Ya!

Petee

I was searching for something that would help our senior dog who was almost unable to get onto his feet since September.  I do have a prescription that helps him some, but the next step was euthanasia and that was too hard for us to deal with.

I found that if you feed your animals Knox Gelatin every day, their bones and joints improve.  In just three days he was moving better, so I figured if it works for him, then maybe it will work for me.  I've been taking it in my smoothie for the last week or so, and I swear it is helping, plus it makes me remember to whip a smoothie for breakfast every day.  Lots more than the joints have improved.

When I checked Martins and Walmart today, they didn't have any.  Martins doesn't even sell it anymore.  Walmart will be getting it in sometime.  It's now a big seller because of its health benefits.  I ended up ordering it from Amazon and getting twice as much as I would have locally.  Now I have plenty for both dogs, and I ordered a container of Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate for me and hubby.  It's almost the same, but better and it doesn't gel so it's better to use immediately.  It's also a better alternative in that it's more chemical free.  https://hollywoodhomestead.com/knox-gelatin/

At bedtime, I spoon out some of the gelatin, along with an organic carrot for each dog and they gobble it down.  

Although I had almost developed an aversion to fruit, I can now pile a serving or two into myself daily via the Smoothie and it's fabulous.  It fills me up for hours.

Food does help heal more than we think.

Yes, I can say with confidence that it has definitely helped the dog.  Murphy is an older Golden Retriever with arthritis in his hips.  This past summer my husband had to lift him up so he could stand, and when he went in the car, my husband had to lift him in.  We were looking into a hip sling for him to save our backs because he weighs about 50-60 pounds.  He's not fat, but he's old.  You should see him now.  I swear he does better every day.  He goes up the entire back steps all by himself, gets to his feet, sometimes with a happy flip, and looks happy now.  I'll be ecstatic and disappointed if he makes it to our bed, which is high, because it will show he is well and then I'll have no place to put my feet again.

You would not use it dry.  You can put it into any drink, but in hot water it dissolves instantly with absolutely no taste or texture difference.  I would probably forget to add it to a hot drink or to drink the tea.  A smoothie is always finished, so that's the best answer for us.  

You can add it to soup, gravy, or any hot food.  In cold foods it may gel.  I just dissolve it in hot water and let it set, shaking it occasionally so it doesn't settle to the bottom of the container and make a tough layer there.

I made smoothies for friends this evening and except for the one who likes only room temperature drinks, and another who does not like fruit in any form, everyone wanted more.  I came home this evening and hubby wanted one with pineapple and mango.

The dogs were waiting at the refrigerator for their share.  It's amazing.  

The more expensive organic Great Lakes Collagen can't be detected anywhere because it doesn't gel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You, Petee for this informative post.

Have taken the gelatine three times since seeing your post and can say without a doubt that it does have a beneficial effect. The lack of what this gelatin provides is due at least in part from an ever changing diet that we have accepted without much thought. Know that you like myself are old enough to remember when most meat was sold with the bones in, not de-boned or chicken that is boneless and skinless. Many of our grand parents would cook the meat and after a beautiful first meal of roast or whatever, the remaining bones with leftover scraps of meat would have been boiled further and the resulting broth used for a soup or stew. And gravy was made more often than not from drippings off the meat, once again containing at least some of what this gelatin has to offer. And miracle of miracles those grand parents born late 1800's into the early 1900's who often worked a lifetime of jobs that where far more burdensome than most of today's jobs with some exceptions of course. In their later years most weren't stacked up like cord wood waiting for the invention of joint replacement surgery. Just the opposite they were still carrying on with the tasks of life in many instances healthier than we seem to be today. 

Minor update to your first post. Wanted to give it a try myself but really didn't want to order any large quantity before seeing if it helped. Happened to be in Martin's and they had some of the Knox unflavored Gelatine in the baking needs aisle. In the section where the jello is go to the top shelf and all the way to the right just before the Pectin for jelly making. One small row of the one ounce box with four paper pouches per box for $2.69. So definitely better to buy online once you decide to use on a regular basis. Picked up a few boxes and was glad to find it locally for now. Did a bunch of research online and while one site extolled the virtues of the more expensive, less commercial "better for you than Knox" brands. It was posed that Knox might be more apt to present a risk from mad cow disease due to the higher volume production and less quality control that could be an issue. Although in later research someone who seemed to have done a great deal of investigation stated that Knox was a product of swine extraction while the other more natural brands were from bovine sources. And while I'm no scientist don't think pigs get mad cow, but I could be wrong.

Again, Thanks Petee for such an informative post. My shoulders and ankles thank you as well! :)

You're welcome, and I hope it continues to give you relief.  For those of us who aren't willing to go down with a mouth full of pain pills, healing food is a blessing.  Taking Tylenol on a regular basis gives me the heebie-jeebies.  I asked Martins and Walmart to stock it and saw it in both places, but it's the expensive small box.  I got on Amazon and ordered two large containers for much less than what the envelopes would have cost me.  

The Golden Retriever now eats his carrot and then comes and lays at his bowl waiting for the gelatin.  My hips, shoulders, hands and knees feel better.  Now if it would just go to my feet!

I did order two containers for the dogs, and one of the Great Lakes Collagen hydrolysate for myself and hubby.  

• 10 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 10:46 PM, Petee said:

You're welcome, and I hope it continues to give you relief.  For those of us who aren't willing to go down with a mouth full of pain pills, healing food is a blessing.  Taking Tylenol on a regular basis gives me the heebie-jeebies.  I asked Martins and Walmart to stock it and saw it in both places, but it's the expensive small box.  I got on Amazon and ordered two large containers for much less than what the envelopes would have cost me.  

The Golden Retriever now eats his carrot and then comes and lays at his bowl waiting for the gelatin.  My hips, shoulders, hands and knees feel better.  Now if it would just go to my feet!

I did order two containers for the dogs, and one of the Great Lakes Collagen hydrolysate for myself and hubby.  

Petee I may have missed it... but can you tell me how much you take and how often you take it ?

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 8:45 AM, Borninabarn said:

Petee I may have missed it... but can you tell me how much you take and how often you take it ?

I put one scoop in my tea every morning.  It has dramatically helped both me and my husband, and the dog that we thought was dying is running around jumping up in the truck on his own, another dramatic improvement.