DuBois Kiwanis 2019 Diner's Club Coupon Book!

GoDuBois.com
Jay

Reputable coin dealer

Someone on here recommended a reputable coin dealer one time.  Does anyone know of one in the area?  I have a friend who would like to have some coins evaluated. You can pm me if you like and I will pass the info on.  Thank you.

There is a  thrift,  antique and coin store in curwensville  called the stuff store .  The old guy there, Bob maybe but not sure, run s the coin store.  He is nice and has a lot of coins to look at.  I have bought some coins off of him.  Never sold him any though.

19 hours ago, Pompeii said:

I'll have to ask my wife what his name was. We had someone come over from St. Mary's a few years ago.

We had some silver coins and he gave us top dollar on most of the ones we sold him.

I just asked my wife and she couldn't think of his name either... he is definitely from St. Mary's. :pound:

Guest mtost

I was at one time big into coin  and relic hunting when I lived in DuBois. I know I did not get everything lost in time but I found my fair share.A treasure magazine devoted 5 pages of our success .If anyone doing the same today I'd be glad to pass on some great sites if asked. My son and I had some great times doing it together.

The recent fellow quoting coins at the Hampton told me that collectors are declining in numbers, and that this new generation of young people do not collect as much.  For that reason he said that coins may not be worth as much 100 years from now, since demand will be down...………….of course, he may have been saying that to grab my coins ASAP....?

I believe that Dave Setree at the anchor Inn in Punxsy is still dealing in rare coins..These people at the Hampton inn and  we buy gold stores are only interested in bullion.You need somebody like Dave to grade and appraise them for you.

1 hour ago, DLE1950 said:

I believe that Dave Setree at the anchor Inn in Punxsy is still dealing in rare coins..These people at the Hampton inn and  we buy gold stores are only interested in bullion.You need somebody like Dave to grade and appraise them for you.

Thank you.  I think that is the name we were looking for.

1 hour ago, DLE1950 said:

I agree.  Dave treated me very fair.  I knew what value I had, but thought I would check out the Hampton Inn people.  The guy was a shyster.  He accused me of being a coin dealer and wouldn't give any info at all.  Then offered to buy a couple of pieces at waaaaaay below value.  I said no thank you and left. 

There's also a guy in Clearfield that my brother dealt with but I can't remember his name.  He owns a jewelry shop downtown.  He was fair and very knowledgeable. 

15 hours ago, DLE1950 said:

I found Dave Setree fair and reputable.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:16 PM, conservativeman633 said:

The recent fellow quoting coins at the Hampton told me that collectors are declining in numbers, and that this new generation of young people do not collect as much.  For that reason he said that coins may not be worth as much 100 years from now, since demand will be down...………….of course, he may have been saying that to grab my coins ASAP....?

As with anything old and potentially collectible, many people fail to realize there is a significant difference between wholesale and retail value.  Dealers typically offer wholesale prices, but neophytes, based and internet or book retail values, are expecting a lot more.  

Guest Wheezy
On 1/11/2019 at 8:40 AM, MIM307 said:

I agree.  Dave treated me very fair.  I knew what value I had, but thought I would check out the Hampton Inn people.  The guy was a shyster.  He accused me of being a coin dealer and wouldn't give any info at all.  Then offered to buy a couple of pieces at waaaaaay below value.  I said no thank you and left. 

There's also a guy in Clearfield that my brother dealt with but I can't remember his name.  He owns a jewelry shop downtown.  He was fair and very knowledgeable. 

The guys name from Clearfield is Jim. He's at Zalno Jewelers (downtown Clearfield).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.