DuBois Kiwanis 2019 Diner's Club Coupon Book!

GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Polo

More news about my old cat

Well, now my old cat has been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder and severe arthritis.  The vet has her on Prednisolone every other day and a thyroid pill twice a day.  This is all fine, as she is improving and gaining some weight back.  But, I have had to try lots of "tricks" to get the meds into her!  I have cat pill pockets that I use and put into her food.  They work sometimes.  She is very tricky and seems to be able to locate the pill and eats everything but that.  I buy various types of tasty food and always try to surprise her with a new flavor to mask things, and mostly it works.  I bought one of those pill poppers for when we are desperate, but someone has to hold her while I "pop" the pill in.  I have read about swaddling her so she can't scratch while I administer the pill, but haven't tried it yet.  If anyone on here has any other solutions, I'm open to hearing them.  I just want to give my kitty the best care.  I have gotten to the point of tears over this a few times!  I have three dogs and I have never had any issues with giving them anything.  Disguise it in a piece of cheese, and we are all done!  So cat lovers, share!  Please!

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

Disguise it in a piece of cheese

lol, that was what I was going to say

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

In my experience, cats catch on very quickly to the 'treat' and even if they do take it, (unless you REALLY make sure they swallowed the pill which pretty much involves the video that k posted anyhow) you'll find it somewhere (or not) after they spit it out. Putting the pill in the cat's mouth/throat is the best insurance that it actually went down. :good-luck:

ETA: give her a kitty treat after the pill :good:

For her arthritis pain, try giving her some gelatin every day.  It's gotten to the point that in the evening my dogs will knock each other down to get it.  The crippled Golden Retriever is hopping up into the car again on his own, and the black Lab mix is getting shinier.  They love it!

I just use a 2-3 C container with a tight lid, add warm water, and then two envelopes of Knox Gelatin.  Shake occasionally till it gets cool and then put it in the fridge.  Spoon it out into a dish.  For the cat, maybe two tablespoons full.  You can add broth from it's favorite cat food when you originally make it.  

I feel much better too, although I got Collagen hydrolysate for myself.  It doesn't gel and it's a better food quality.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Well, had to post again today to say the pill problem is finally solved!  Thanks to all of you for your kind offerings and videos.  I must say I've bought fancy foods and hid pills, the cats eats it once, then spits out the pills.  I've tried pulling her head back gently like in the videos and giving her the pills, but she would spit them out.  One of the suggestions, grabbing her by the scruff, actually worked.  I also bought a pill popper at Petco.  I grab her by the scruff, and she just chills there, doesn't try to get away or anything.  Then I pop the pill popper in her mouth, and pop!  The pill goes back so fast, she has to swallow!  Done!  Painless!  I also had a little medicine giver, non needle syringe with water in it, that I then shot back there after the pill to provide moisture to help her swallowing.  To get the popper in her mouth, you have to enter in on the side, which causes the mouth to open.  So relieved!  Wanted to post in case there are others who may need this info sometime.  After meds, she gets her meals right away, making the experience for her rather pleasant.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

2 minutes ago, Polo said:

Well, had to post again today to say the pill problem is finally solved!  Thanks to all of you for your kind offerings and videos.  I must say I've bought fancy foods and hid pills, the cats eats it once, then spits out the pills.  I've tried pulling her head back gently like in the videos and giving her the pills, but she would spit them out.  One of the suggestions, grabbing her by the scruff, actually worked.  I also bought a pill popper at Petco.  I grab her by the scruff, and she just chills there, doesn't try to get away or anything.  Then I pop the pill popper in her mouth, and pop!  The pill goes back so fast, she has to swallow!  Done!  Painless!  I also had a little medicine giver, non needle syringe with water in it, that I then shot back there after the pill to provide moisture to help her swallowing.  To get the popper in her mouth, you have to enter in on the side, which causes the mouth to open.  So relieved!  Wanted to post in case there are others who may need this info sometime.  After meds, she gets her meals right away, making the experience for her rather pleasant.

That's great. I'm really glad that you and kitty found a workable solution! :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this